• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tom Threetoes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Southwestern IN
    After years of service my old computer is finally ready for retirement. My problem is we're stuck with a dial up ISP. Satellite is too rich for my budget, hotspots don't work here, and no DSL is available yet. So we are stuck with dial up. Who provides the fastest most reliable dial up? I've searched reviews online and still don't have a clue. Thanks.

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    How about wifi? There are companies putting antennas on top of water towers, radio towers and grain legs. don't know if it is in your area or not, they seem to be a little sparse. Also, the service is line of sight. You have to be able to see the transmission antenna in order to receive the signal. Also, trees, snow, rain, heavy wind, all degrade or prevent signal.

=Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    All dial-up speeds are capped at 56.6 Kbps because they use the same lines as your phone (RJ-11). If you have any cable provider in your area, that is going to be your best bet by far.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    All dial-up speeds are capped at 56.6 Kbps because they use the same lines as your phone (RJ-11). If you have any cable provider in your area, that is going to be your best bet by far.

I'll second this. No matter which dialup provider you use, they are all going to be identical in regards to speed. The technology of analog modems (which has been abandoned due to advances in modern internet access) limits your speed.

Choose whomever you want for dialup, it literally wont make a difference in regards to speed. They will all be the same.

The only terrestrial technology with a shot at reaching far out in the country is cable. That and a Wireless ISP. But due to the hills south of 70, its not likely to be in your area. (it relies on line of sight which hills prevent)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The only terrestrial technology with a shot at reaching far out in the country is cable. That and a Wireless ISP. But due to the hills south of 70, its not likely to be in your area. (it relies on line of sight which hills prevent)

Scott Co put in wireless Internet. I lived out in the sticks and was told I could get it, but I'd have to put a utility pole on my property to reach the signal, and I was on the hook for the cost of the pole. I strongly considered it, as my phone was horrible. There was a constant click that was likely interference from an electric fence. You could hear it on telephone calls and it limited my dialup to about 33.6.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    After years of service my old computer is finally ready for retirement. My problem is we're stuck with a dial up ISP. Satellite is too rich for my budget, hotspots don't work here, and no DSL is available yet. So we are stuck with dial up. Who provides the fastest most reliable dial up? I've searched reviews online and still don't have a clue. Thanks.

I see you're in SW Indiana. I'm not sure if these are an option for you: NetsurfUSA or Blue River Networks. They're both wireless internet. I've had friends that had Netsurf and they liked it ok.

buckhunterbb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Kimmell
    If you're stuck with dial up service look at turbousa. Has about the best rate that I could find. Price gets better if paid in 6 month/1 year. Has web accel. that works with win 7 64 bit os. Not sure about newer win os. I've had this service about 1 month now as my old provider raised rate.
    If you choose to use them I would appreciate if you would tell them I referred you. You may need my name/username,thanks.

ps: their access #'s may not be accurate for you. I use a access # from my old service provider. They(turbo) tried to use their access #'s for me but couldn't connect. I have no problems connecting with my old number from previous provider.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom