• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    College teams and 4h clubs use scuba tanks for PCP rifles. They shoot 177 at 550-630 fps. I've never kept track, I'm guessing a few thousand rounds per tank. I leave 2 scuba tanks at the clubhouse all winter to fill bottles for both groups.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    What will fit my needs? Local farmer asked me to get rid of pigeons. My air rifle shoots minute of refrigerator.
    I remember going to a live pigeon shoot with my dad when I was young. I was amazed at how many pigeons made it out of the arena, only to fall dead in the parking lot while sitting in a tree top. A little unnerving at first to a 10 year old kid...

TheJeff

Plinker
    Jul 7, 2020
    US
    How much you want to spend is the deciding factor. Lookup Ted's Holdover on the YouTube. He reviews and shoots airguns

baranjhn

Marksman
    Mar 8, 2021
    Lafayette
    As an avid air gunner I would recommend a Benjamin Maximus. It's a single PCP rifle in either .22 or .177. The Benjamin foot pump is also of excellent quality. For less than $500 you can get the rifle, pump, a good scope and several tins of pellets. I would recommend getting .22 for pigeons, they are pretty tough. However, I do give a nod to .177 in terms of accuracy, which helps on head shots for about a 1/2" target.

baranjhn

Marksman
    Mar 8, 2021
    Lafayette
    What is the hardest hitting 22 caliber air rifle that uses spring power? Or pump action. None PCP or CO2 cartridges.
    There are several that have a lot of power. For a new springer look at Diana 54, 350, or 460. Also the HW80 (Beeman R1). These rifle generate 16 to 18 ft. lbs of energy at the muzzle. Honestly, when shooting a springer, it's best to keep the power levels lower. This is due to several factors, like overall weight and size. To produce high velocities, you need a massive spring. That adds weight, but the rifle itself needs to be heavy to tame the recoil. Yes, spring airguns recoil. There is a massive spring moving inside that generates energy. This energy is also moving forward away from your shoulder and compressing air to push the pellet down the barrel. As a side note, this recoil is different from a firearm, and it will destroy the best firearm scopes out there. SO you need a scope rated for magnum airguns. When small game hunting, most birds are easy to kill, the same with rabbits. Squirrels are tough. That being said, the British are limited to 12 ft. lbs of energy at the muzzle, and they report no issues with taking game at that energy level. If you want a recommendation for a good spring in the medium power level (12 to 15 ft lbs), check out the Air Arms TX200, Beeman R9, Weihrauch HW 50 or HW97. If you still want more power, look in to PCP (Pre Charged Pnuematic) air rifles. American made Benjamins (Marauder or Maximus) are powerful, accurate and well made and won't break the bank. There are literally hundereds of different PCP rifles that run in price from a few hundred to several thousands of dollars. The springers I listed are extremely well made British and German guns and come with a price tag to match.

baranjhn

Marksman
    Mar 8, 2021
    Lafayette
    So, my wife bought me an Air Venturi Avenger for my birthday. Great reviews and newer technology than the Benjamin. Now to find an air compressor...
    Go to Pyramydair.com, they have several compressors to choose from. I'm a fan of the Shoebox compressor, but there are some newer ones out that are getting some great reviews. You get a 4500 PSI carbon fiber tank from them and find a dive shop to fill it. It'll last a long time before needing to refill (the tank). Better yet, maybe start with a foot pump (they have several to choose from as well). It's a lot cheaper too. Most non-bottle airguns cylinders are easy to fill with a foot pump. Also, look at Airguns of Arizona and Airgun Depot. There are several other online airgun dealers too. There are all pretty good. They have to be because the airgun community (dedicated air gunners) is pretty small and bad airgun companies don't last long.

alc1985

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Nov 21, 2009
    Burns Harbor by the Dunes
    I have a Sig Sauer ASP20 in .177 with a Sig whisky scope and it is way more accurate than me. I really wanted it in .22cal but the supply dried up so I settled on the .177.
    I was toying with getting a Air Venturi Avenger in .22 but I can't see buying all the equipment needed to support it.,
    The Sig is loud and has some recoil but it's a complete package. I just wish it was a .22 because my old fingers have a hard time with the .177 pellets.
    Overall I really my like Sig.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Aug 2, 2008
    Ever thought of an old Winchester single shot model 60, and .22 shorts, or "CB" caps.
    Can get expensive, both in ammo cost and fines if used in most city limits,plus model 60's can't be found on Amazon.

baranjhn

Marksman
    Mar 8, 2021
    Lafayette
    Ever thought of an old Winchester single shot model 60, and .22 shorts, or "CB" caps.
    A good idea, but .22 shorts can carry up to a mile, whereas, due to pellet design most pellets can only travel a few hundred yards at max. Also, a tin of 500 pellets is way cheaper than 500 .22 shorts.

98cirrus

Plinker
    Sep 4, 2009
    Goshen
    Can get expensive, both in ammo cost and fines if used in most city limits,plus model 60's can't be found on Amazon.
    Actually, most farms I believe, are outside the city limits. We used to kill alot of pigeons at my uncles farm in Medaryville IN, with Sheridan rifles. (Late 60's) They were often sitting in mass atop his (what seemed to a 13 year old) GIANT steel grain storage silo. That made for some longer shots. And those Sheridans could shoot pretty hard with 6 pumps. (I still have 3 in the basement.)However, when my dad brought out his old Winchester "Low Wall", and .22 shorts, the kill percentage went up alot. I agree with JimH. You have to shoot in a safe direction, always knowing that the bullet lands safely, where shooting is legal, and air rifles can be somewhat safer, and are alot more available than single shot rifles. Ammo is comparatively cheaper. But if the farmer wants em dead, the little CB cap, is a dramatically better tool, than a 125$ pellet gun. Incidentally, my great aunt would butcher them up and prepare them like southern fried chicken. And we loved eating them. Looking back on it, I think they were mostly hatched and raised on the farms around there? We never thought a thing about them maybe being vermin.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    More like who's going to list their new purchase in the classies first. Can we get doddg in here real quick?
    :laugh: :thumbsup:

Been researching air rifles off & on for a few months.
    Did an airgun search & found this.
    A member that I've bought a couple of 22 rifles from, I found out had the full set up with targets & everything, which piqued my interest.
    If I knew exactly which direction to go, I'd buy one, but don't want to spend $300 & then find out I'd have been happier if I'd have spent more for a better set up. :dunno:

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Aug 2, 2008
    :laugh: :thumbsup:

Been researching air rifles off & on for a few months.
    Did an airgun search & found this.
    A member that I've bought a couple of 22 rifles from, I found out had the full set up with targets & everything, which piqued my interest.
    If I knew exactly which direction to go, I'd buy one, but don't want to spend $300 & then find out I'd have been happier if I'd have spent more for a better set up. :dunno:
    Spend more and go pcp!This is 5 shots at 27 yards,resting over the corner of my truck bed,aiming at the lower mark beside the knife blade. The 5 are in the upper mark. You won't do this with a springer! Benjamin Marauder .25 51124436396_599b6dc2f5_c.jpg

Top Bottom