• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JJGatesE30

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    As embarrassing as it is to say, I don't have one right now. (unless you count a Taurus Judge) I use to have a Saiga 12 but ended up selling it a couple of years ago. All my gun money lately keeps getting dumped into handguns but it's time I start planning on a good shotgun that could be used for home defense. I have some experiance with pump action shotguns but semi auto is what I have shot most.

My favorite style is tactical, you know, something that would look good while doing a barrel roll across my hallway :D Seriously though, I do like pistol grips, front grips, rails etc.

What do you guys have? How much did it cost? Pics along with suggestions would be awesome!

Thanks!

Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Be careful tactical shotguns are like EBR's they turn into money pits. I have a Remington 870 18" barrel, surefire dedicated fore grip and now a mesa tactical LEO 6 position adjustable stock. The comments it gets are fun though "is that legal?", "is that a sawed off shotgun?", "I don't want to shoot that it looks evil", "Is that real it looks like something out of a video game":D

troy28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    Behind the crosshairs
    +1 Rem 870. You can get these as a basic cost effective model up to tricked out tactical versions. You mentioned wanting a pistol grip. These are very easy to mod into whatever configuration you want.

You may also want to look into a door breacher option as well. When I got mine, Rem didn't offer the choke threads on the 18in barrel with their breacher. I actually found a tube extension that also had a breacher milled into the end. If you ever get in a situation that you can not shoot the gun and have to use it as a physical weapon, I'm pretty sure the door breacher would not be well received as you drove it into a BG. And really it just looks B.A..

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I have a Mossberg 500, Mesa Tactical 6 pos stock with Magpul MOE shoulder stock, receiver rail on which I mounted a Primary Arms Micro Dot sight. I also incl a Mesa side saddle shell holder. Do yourself a BIG favor and go to TacticalShotgunner.com
    They are an advertiser, fellow Hoosiers, and darn knowledgable on what they sell. Build it yourself with them. More fun that way!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    As embarrassing as it is to say, I don't have one right now. I use to have a Saiga 12 but ended up selling it a couple of years ago.

Did you like the Saiga-12? Why not get another one? I've got a couple, one of which serves as my house gun, and think very highly of them. When it comes to upgrading and customizing, there's a lot of different ways you can go there.

If you're looking for a pump, go Rem 870 or Mossberg 590A1. If a tube-fed semi-auto, the Mossberg 930SPX seems to have a pretty good rep.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Did you like the Saiga-12? Why not get another one? I've got a couple, one of which serves as my house gun, and think very highly of them. When it comes to upgrading and customizing, there's a lot of different ways you can go there.

If you're looking for a pump, go Rem 870 or Mossberg 590A1. If a tube-fed semi-auto, the Mossberg 930SPX seems to have a pretty good rep.

What do the Saiga-12's run? I've never seen one, but have heard good things about them.

JJGatesE30

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    Did you like the Saiga-12? Why not get another one?

Yes it was fun and I loved the semi-auto, but I hate the way they look unless modified. Parts were hard to find when I had mine and I was really picky about how it should turn out. I ended up abandoning it and I figured I would get something more common...never did.

I might be interested again but I would have to know exactly how it would turn out before hand. To get it to a tactical AK looking state would cost a decent amount I'm guessing, I just don't enough about the process. I wish they sold them more "AK style" from the factory.

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    As posted above we can get you squared away.

Stop by fondle some different shotguns and see what trips your trigger.

The 870 is the king of the pumps. Mossberg makes guns every bit as good, and has an amazing little Auto that they recently introduced to the market.

Benelli currently rules the fighting shotgun world but the Modded Saiga's are making a helluv a splash lately.

The shotgun Market is target rich for a new guy especially and there's more information than there ever has been out there.

Decide what your requirements for this shotgun are, avoid the gimmick gear though there is alot of it out there, don't go too cheap as it causes crying and disappointment eventually. On the same note though you don't need to spend a fortune either,

Figure out what shotgun you want.

Get a couple of different loadings of 00 buck pattern the gun, we have he Federal Flight control in stock and its shoots the best by far in the widest variety of shotguns.

Buy a bit of ammo at Walmart go destroy some clay birds and chase some empty plastic bottles and jugs around the range and figure out what fits you and what doesn't.

Last edited:

JJGatesE30

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    As posted above we can get you squared away.

Actually it was your booth at recent shows that piqued my interest in a 12 gauge again. You had some green 870's I believe? Those are very appealing but I remember them not being cheap! I would like to check out your shop and see what you could do for me, looks like your open on saturday!

Any pics of those 870's :D

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    New England Firearms Pardner. Cheap (less than $200 on sale), works.

For about $400, I recommend a Stoeger (Double Defense) coach gun. Always ready to fire.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Parts were hard to find when I had mine

The Saiga-12 aftermarket has absolutely exploded in the last couple years, and thanks to that, conversions and mods have never been easier!

Mississippi Auto Arms, Inc ::, Your Source for Saiga, AK47, AR15, Tromix, Glock, and SKS firearms and accessories" and
    carolinashooterssupply.com Home Page are pretty much one-stop-shops for all things Saiga.

To get it to a tactical AK looking state would cost a decent amount I'm guessing

A basic-level conversion would only run you ~$150.00 in parts, plus your time and talent to do the work.

I wish they sold them more "AK style" from the factory.

Me too, but then they would run afoul of US importation laws. :xmad:

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    I have two favorites. The 870 remington and the ithaca model 37. Both great guns. For what its worth my dad uses a winchester 1300 which is also a great gun.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I wouldn't even look at the Stoeger Double Defense. I've got a Stoeger Coach Gun in 20g and I really like it but I paid around $200 at an auction for one that had never been fired. That extra $200 could be used for a bunch of ammo.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    890 all the way. Especially if you are going with a pistol/ar-style stock grip. The safety is in a more ideal location. Mossbergs are good guns but I have to give remington the edge. And yes, I own both. I suggest avoiding all the front heavy gismos and gadgets that make it all tacticool. Save your money for practice and streamline your setup. A combat shotgun is only effective when you practice with it. I know far too many people who have fancy shmancy doo-dads that cost more than the gun, but they never even take the thing to the berm and they shoot and reload like crap. Just my .02

TJSieling

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis - West Side
    I had a Norinco 98 (remington 870 knockoff) for a while as a home defense shotgun. The mechanics are identical to the Remington 870, but because it's not brand name, I got mine for $150.

No good pictures I could find, but it looks like a regular hunting 12 ga. without a scope, just the dot at the end of the barrel.

Top Bottom