• ...and so much more!
  • Duncan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2010
    South of Indy
    Budget cuts force Calif. police and firemen to watch man drown*|*Raw Replay

This is GREAT ! I love this stuff . I can just hear the conversation .

" Hey Sarge you got your Water Safety Merit Badge from the Mayor ? "
    " No I don't Corporal . Hey Fire Bug .. you got yours ? "
    " Me neither Sarge and I damn sure am not going to jump in there and take a chance on getting sued and losing my pension ...
    I just got 14 months to go and I have a shift change in 20 . The old lady has steaks ready for the grill . Besides he wanted to off himself any way . "
    " Hey Sarge . "
    "Yeah Corporal ? "
    " 20 Bucks says he bobs twice before he goes under . "
    " Ok you're on "

To be honest boys I don't blame them one bit .
    If the state legislature does not want to exempt them in situations like this and the Supreme Court has ruled that the police have no duty to protect ... they why should they .
    The lawyers are running many facets of our lives and this is one example .

Hey if the guy wanted to meet Jesus ... who are we to interfere ?

Thanks
    Duncan

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqZ95a249p0[/ame]

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Weep instead for the overly-litigious society we've become that forced the police to stand by over fears of being sued. We've taught each other that no good deed goes unpunished.

Duncan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2010
    South of Indy
    What part of "this stuff" do you love?

The irony :
    Police cars , most of them have the words " To serve and Protect "
    False : supreme court decisions make the phrase a misnomer .

Bureaucracy . The cops and Fireman that showed up probably wanted to help or save him .

But no one had the proper papers .
    No one had the papers that would exempt them from a lawsuit if things went wrong beyond reasonable control .

So all these people , all this training all this money in wages and equipment is standing still useless and wasted while a guy goes under .

Why ... because the very government , the System that is suppose to help defend life , liberty and property is castrated by the lawyers and previous lawsuits that the system it's self allows to be performed .

I just get a kick out of irony and gallows humor .

Thanks
    Duncan

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    The irony :

Bureaucracy . The cops and Fireman that showed up probably wanted to help or save him .

No one had the papers that would exempt them from a lawsuit if things went wrong beyond reasonable control .

So all these people , all this training all this money in wages and equipment is standing still useless and wasted while a guy goes under .

Why ... because the very government , the System that is suppose to help defend life , liberty and property is castrated by the lawyers and previous lawsuits that the system it's self allows to be performed .

Thanks
    Duncan

Answer honestly...Would you not be *****ing and moaning right now if they would have saved the guy against his will?

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    I guess what I take away form this article most is that 75 or more people who watched the cops do nothing, and DID NOTHING THEMSELVES to help the drowning man. Wow people, go soak your heads for a half hour cause I am sure they hurt.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    The irony :

They say "law enforcement" now. I haven't seen "to serve and protect" in a long time.

This reminds me of the movie Canadian Bacon somewhat. $50 to talk someone out of suicide, $100 to retrieve the body.

And since it's a dupe, in before the lock :D

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    If the fact that this is a different article with a different "spin" on the incident(i.e. budget cuts) wasn't enough to keep it open, surely post number 3 would be enough to realize it's probably not getting closed.

Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    The irony :

Thanks
    Duncan

Your always going on about this duty to protect deal. Seriously its like 60% of your post. Did Mr. firemen not get your cat out of the tree when you were a child?

Seriously who gives a @#%. There were a lot of civilians there to. Someone should have attempted to save life. It was obviously a call for help that went to far.

Yea you may have a pension, a job, whatever but how could you live with yourself? Didnt phil collins write a song about this 2#%@#.

Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    They say "law enforcement" now. I haven't seen "to serve and protect" in a long time.

This reminds me of the movie Canadian Bacon somewhat. $50 to talk someone out of suicide, $100 to retrieve the body.

And since it's a dupe, in before the lock :D

Ours say...You mess with the bull....you get the horns...

Duncan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2010
    South of Indy
    Answer honestly...Would you not be *****ing and moaning right now if they would have saved the guy against his will?

You asked an honest question .
    Would I have said they should have let him die ... yes .
    Would I have been upset with the FF or LEO that saved him .. no .
    Would I have voiced my opinion on it here ? I don't think so .

Thanks
    Duncan

Duncan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2010
    South of Indy
    Dear Keyser

Your always going on about this duty to protect deal. Seriously its like 60% of your post. Did Mr. firemen not get your cat out of the tree when you were a child?

I'm not sure were you're at here . As for the Fire Fighters ... they are in a different " class " than LEO . They are all but purely there to protect life and property in a reactionary way .

Seriously who gives a @#%. There were a lot of civilians there to. Someone should have attempted to save life. It was obviously a call for help that went to far.

WWhy should anyone including a civilian go save his life ?
    Where is the obligation ?
    Yes there could be a moral reason ... but that is depending upon the person .
    Also and just a guess .. if someone did try to help him could they have gotten in trouble for interfering with police duties ?

Yea you may have a pension, a job, whatever but how could you live with yourself? Didnt phil collins write a song about this 2#%@#.

I could live with myself real easy .
    Remember this guy made the decision to inflict damage to himself .

Thanks
    your Friend
    Mr. Kobayashi

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s39wwgOEJz0[/ame]

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I don't hold a certification in water rescue anymore, but "reach, throw, row, and go" comes to mind. Throw the guy a rope. If he wants to live, he'll grab it. If he doesn't, he'll refuse it. Either way, my conscience is clear: I did what I could to save him. He didn't want saved, and that's his right.

Blessings,
    Bill

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Just to throw this out there....

A small dept NW of Indy has a few FF fighting for there badges right now, because they tried to save a man who was in a "man hole" and over taken by some noxious fumes (enter man hole noxious fume jokes here). Two FFs went in to save him, they were over come and had to be rescued as well.

Why are they fighting for their badges? Because confined space rescue is a special discipline in FD, its several weeks of training and some very specialized equipment. No different than top-water, swift-water, ice rescue, and rescue diving. Doing nothing is some times all we can do so not to get more folks killed. Looks bad to those ignorant to what we do, but tough, you pay us to make that decision. Everything we do is calculated risk.... Risk little to save much, risk much to save much.... never risk much to save little.

I didn't read the article, however I thought this might help.

A other term that might help understand the article better.... look it up.

Implied Consent

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    I guess what I take away form this article most is that 75 or more people who watched the cops do nothing, and DID NOTHING THEMSELVES to help the drowning man. Wow people, go soak your heads for a half hour cause I am sure they hurt.

^^This^^

This whole story is just sad and a sad example of what society is turning into. OK so the man says he wants to kill himself...And walks 150 yards into the water where he STANDS for an hour? Any dip%^&t on the side lines probably could have went in a rescued him. The fact that 75 people can just stand there and watch a man slowly die is so disturbing I can't even put it into words. I'm increasingly disappointed by my fellow man as time goes by. We're seriously headed in the wrong direction.

The fact that there are people here that care so little that they themselves would sleep soundly at night also having been there and not helped is disturbing. I find that attitude no better then the same of those self serving politicians that these very same people complain about constantly.

Top Bottom