• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    I don't know what everyone was complaining about! I put Vista on my secondary hard drive, just to try it out for a while. I ended up liking it enough to replace XP on my primary hard drive with Vista. I've been using it for about 2 months now, and it seems pretty stable, and I've had very few compatibility issues, and those were easily solved with updated drivers.

What the heck? What was so horrible about Vista? I realize that this is kind of a moot point now that Windows 7 is out, but I just don't get what all the bellyaching was about....its a stable OS that looks sharp as hell, and has some nice features that weren't available with XP.

:dunno:

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I have no complaints with Vista.
    People will complain about anything and complaining about windows has become a sport.
    Most of the problems encountered are the fault of the 3rd party software applications or hardware manufacturers who develop horrible drivers.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Never used Vista, I think your about the only two that I've heard say that they liked Vista or had no complaints. The new computer I just ordered from Dell has Windows 7 so I'm interested in how thats going to be.

:ingo:

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Never used Vista, I think your about the only two that I've heard say that they liked Vista or had no complaints. The new computer I just ordered from Dell has Windows 7 so I'm interested in how thats going to be.

:ingo:

I just ordered my daughter a laptop, from Dell as well, that will come with Windows 7.
    I have 6 machines at home with various types of XP and 2 machines with Vista. All work well enough I won't be looking at upgrading the OS for them.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I just put a fresh install of XP-SP3 on my computer at home. I hope that this machine (7 years old now...holy crap!) will continue to run like a champ for several more years.

And when it is time to upgrade... Windows 7 should have been out for a few years and many "first run" kinks worked out. There are ALWAYS kinks. It is Microsoft, after all.

-J-

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    vista is very demanding, if you aren't playing games are doing anything intense there is no problem. Windows 7 is a lot like XP with respect to using system resources. Also i never cared for Vistas "are you sure you want to open this, i know you double-clicked it but i just wanted to check" feature, yes it can be turned off but then you would lose most of Vistas "great" security. Windows 7 lets you turn up or down how much it asks you stuff.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    vista is very demanding, if you aren't playing games are doing anything intense there is no problem. Windows 7 is a lot like XP with respect to using system resources. Also i never cared for Vistas "are you sure you want to open this, i know you double-clicked it but i just wanted to check" feature, yes it can be turned off but then you would lose most of Vistas "great" security. Windows 7 lets you turn up or down how much it asks you stuff.

I use Vista business - it doesn't work like that at all.

I have had almost zero problems, and everything seems configurable...

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    I like Vista too, but it is no W7.

That being said, Vista has a large footprint and uses a lot of your computers resources, and when it first came out, it was a driver nightmare. I never had a problem with Vista though, it is still on a couple of my computers.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Vista is a resource hog, I had major hardware compatibility issues with Vista. I've had to replace my mouse, printer, scanner, and automated Disk caddy.

Vista's built in backup utility does not work if you have to reinstall the OS, So your backup is useless if you've had a crash like I have had 2 times.

Vista's memory management causes unexplained 5-60 second pauses.

If your doing Pic programming with Vista you have to dig deep to get all the settings right in Vista and your Compiler.

Vista was built for the Average user not the hard core people who actually do more than talk on the internet and use Word. If don't do programing or any real serial buss work then Vista is OK. If you program then Vista is a virus, it makes you chase down DLL's that are hard to find and sometimes expensive.

It's like most products if you don't demand much out of it it's OK, If you work it hard it's not up to the demands of hard users

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    There are ALWAYS kinks. It is Microsoft, after all.

-J-

I've been using Windows 7 since the Public Beta came out then the Release Candidate and now the Final for about a month now. I've yet to find something that wasn't a misconfiguration on my part or something that didn't take me a minute or two to fix. Which again, was not exactly windows 7's fault.

By all means you're not going to find a perfect OS, but Windows 7 is VERY impressive and works GREAT.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I've been using Windows 7 since the Public Beta came out then the Release Candidate and now the Final for about a month now. I've yet to find something that wasn't a misconfiguration on my part or something that didn't take me a minute or two to fix. Which again, was not exactly windows 7's fault.

I have no doubt that what you say is true. However, what you say also points to a fundamental problem with the way Windows "trains" users.

Users are taught to blame themselves when something doesn't work, even when it is legitimately the software's (more precisely, the programmer's) fault. I cannot tell you how many people have told me "I'm not smart enough to do this/that/the other", or "I can't use computers, I'm too dumb", or something similarly self-deprecating, when it was clear to me that the software was causing the problem that they felt unqualified to solve.

I'm not going to preach the virtues of the Mac because I don't want to get into a holy war over it, but Apple's attention to design and interface has somehow resulted in a user base who, while no more technically adept on average than their Windows counterparts, comparatively rarely blame themselves when something goes wrong. They blame the software or the computer. And when you talk about "what I can do" with a computer, Mac users are much more likely to use empowered phrases, like "I can do this" as opposed to saying they're not smart enough to do something.

There are Windows programs that have greatly empowering interfaces, but they're usually not designed by people who operate in "Microsoft mode". After spending the last 16 years in the software business, I have come to believe that when you tend to write programs that copy the Microsoft design philosophy, you tend to get frustrated users. When you work hard at interface as a primary goal for your program, you can still wind up with a bad interface, but generally do better than the folks who don't make interface a priority.

Again, this isn't about Mac vs. Windows, it's about the way different folks approach interface as a feature of the product. You can go to the bookstore and look in the section for programmers, and there are a TON of books about how to program this or that language, how to write games, how to work with databases and so forth, but there are very few books on good interface design, far fewer than the topic merits. I'm not sure I'm getting my point across clearly, but if you're interested, there's a couple of fascinating books out there which are accessible to even non-programmers:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Tog-Software-Design-Bruce-Tognazzini/dp/0201489171"]Amazon.com: Tog on Software Design (9780201489170): Bruce Tognazzini: Books[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Design-Everyday-Things-Donald-Norman/dp/0385267746"]Amazon.com: The Design of Everyday Things (9780385267748): Donald Norman: Books[/ame]

I would especially recommend The Design of Everyday Things for non-programmers. It really makes you look at the world differently, and understand the psychology and behavioral science that goes into the way things are made, even things as simple as a door handle. If I'm not being clear, with these books you might be able to get an inkling of what it is I'm trying to say regarding what software interfaces teach us to think about ourselves.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

I'm a hard core gamer, (Battlefield 1942)also do a lot of photo editing with Corel Photo Shop XI, and I currently use Vista 64 bit with 4 gig of mem with no problems what so ever. Love it.

Wife's system is Vista 32, she loves it.

I'm one of the original anti Window haters, used Deskview and Qemm386 until Win98 came out and that was because of a flatbed scanner I bought required it.

On my old system back in the corner of the room it has XP pro on it, and it is a crash waiting to happen. I've had to do so many reinstalls of XP that I've lost count.

I think the biggest complaint is the rumor mill, sorta like people who talk bad about Taurus guns, they hear that dreaded story about something that went wrong with someone's brother who knows a mailman that's a uncle of a guy that has a girlfriend who's sister lived down the street that knows a guy in the next county that's mom in the next state knew a little 90 year old lady who's 4 year old niece's cat couldn't get Vista to work on it's catnip dispenser.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    I have noticed a "slight" reduction in gaming performance....it probably wouldn't even be noticeable if I wasn't looking for it. I'm only running 2 gigs of RAM, when I upgrade to 4 it'll like negate even that.

I've tried to like Linux, I really have. But I want an OS that I don't have to tinker with quite as much to get things to work. I do appreciate the fact that there is an open source alternative, completely free of charge, available to people that want one....its just more of a project than I want to have to tackle, when I just want to run some games or surf the web.

Top Bottom