• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    Yesterday I had the pleasure of introducing a woman (and friend of mine) to the world of shooting!

The weekend had been spent at a friend's in Greenwood for a birthday. The usual happenings are bonfire Saturday, shooting Sunday! He has a small range set up in his backyard, and we almost always end up out there when we are down there. Our friend, the new shooter, was waiting for Birthday Boy's wife to pack for a road trip and we (BB, darkkevin & myself) asked if she wanted to come with us. She said yes!

She started off on BB'S .22 revolver. He showed her how to operate that one. She did very well with it. A short time later, I asked if she wanted to shoot something a little bigger. My M&P 40c was next. I explained to her the workings of it, fired it a few times so she could see what kind of recoil to expect. She did pretty good with it, but was still shocked a bit by the recoil. She took a short break, watching us destroy apples, then was ready to give it another go. She wasn't the least bit hesitant to try again! She made it through a whole mag on my M&P, then was ready to try out darkkevin's Rock Island 1911. She did very well with that, also!

We couldn't convince her to try out a 20g shotgun, however. But we did show her how much fun can be had shooting watermelons! At the end of it, we asked if she thought she would shoot again, and she said yes! :rockwoot:

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    awesome to hear, and glad that not only you got a new shooter, but you killed those evil watermelons. Maybe not the shotgun, but maybe next time an AR or another rifle, so she can do that transition? Just a thought, a little less recoil.

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    awesome to hear, and glad that not only you got a new shooter, but you killed those evil watermelons. Maybe not the shotgun, but maybe next time an AR or another rifle, so she can do that transition? Just a thought, a little less recoil.
    She lives in AZ, unfortunately I only see het about once a year, otherwise I'd invite her to a m&s.

Awesome!! Most times, positive first experiences are the building blocks for converting opinion.
    Luckily, she's never been anti-gun, she had just never shot before.

A 22 to the m&p40c is a BIG jump.

Good job introducing a new shooter.
    I know. It was that or the LC9 we have. I did not think she would've liked that at all. I know if that would've been second to me as a new shooter I'd be a bit turned off from it.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    She lives in AZ, unfortunately I only see het about once a year, otherwise I'd invite her to a m&s.

Luckily, she's never been anti-gun, she had just never shot before.

I know. It was that or the LC9 we have. I did not think she would've liked that at all. I know if that would've been second to me as a new shooter I'd be a bit turned off from it.

Hmm, trying to think what friend I have in AZ, make sure that she stays out on ranges until she is "cured".
    Good call on the switch in pistols too. LC9 is abit much. If I had known, I had more then a couple you guys could have borrowed. Oh well, next time maybe.

Top Bottom