• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Well no, I just want to authorize from what vendors charges are authorized. One card, eight approved vendors. the banks already do this rudimentarily when they pause or deny charges that look out of character.

This card has the same eight charges every month. So those are approved but none others without prior authorization. And yes, these could be set up in bill pay but that's eight transactions I have to make instead of one.
    Because they make more when there is less friction for you to spend on your card, even if they have to deal with fraud, etc.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Had some fraudulent charges hit my Discover card last month. I rarely ever put over $200-$300 on my cards but when I do have a text alert threshold of $200. I was in the middle of a pool match when I got a text to approve or deny a $458 charge at Walmart. I denied the transaction and all was well, or so I thought. Someone used it on an internet store and it went through, and I got a alert but no way to decline it - it had gone through. I called Discover immediately (told them I was not shopping but playing pool), cancelled the card and they automatically sent a new one overnight and reversed the charges.

Not sure how they got my CVV without having the physical card, that is the mystery for me since I never let the card leave my sight.

I have begun using one-time card numbers that you can generate on the Discover website for most online purchases now.
    I'll have to look at that on Discover's website. Had not noticed it.

I do see that for Apple Card (the actual card has no numbers on it) you can request a new number, and also I believe just have it change the CVV, etc.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    All this fraud is why I never will use or even own a debit card. It's annoying enough to get a new credit card, but much worse if the thieves can actually mess with the money in my bank account (even if I eventually will get it back.)

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Too much technology, yes it is convenient but is rolling the dice like a teenager that forgot his condom. I refuse to sign up for everything automatic, yet the banks keep giving people automatic access. I will not even allow a debit card.

Today I found another weak spot. This time every year I drive to the insurance office and pay my house and car insurance. I got my checkbook out and the woman asked if I still used account number "XXXXXXXXXX". I said yes, and she clicked a couple keys and said the money is taken from the account. I never signed up for automated transfer, but right in a little front office, on an ancient desktop computer, all my banking is sitting a couple keystrokes away.

The IRS, Medicare, Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Target, Walmart have all had their computers compromised in the last few years. How many small companies like my insurance agent have been given access to my account by the Bank? I confronted my bank about them giving electronic access last year. Their suggestion was to down load their app to my phone so I can check my money every day. Opening three or four extra portals to my account did not make security sense.

No wonder there is fraud everywhere, the bank leaves the vault open for everyone to help themselves.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    This time every year I drive to the insurance office and pay my house and car insurance.
    Why? I mean, even if you don't want to use bill pay through your bank, or use a debit card, do you think that someone will steal your check from a stamped envelope?

Edit: Not busting on you. It took me a long time to go to bill pay through my bank/credit union, and I use my debit card for everything, but I treat it like writing a check - writing down each transaction in my checkbook. But I don't miss writing checks anymore.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Why? I mean, even if you don't want to use bill pay through your bank, or use a debit card, do you think that someone will steal your check from a stamped envelope?
    1) I like to show in person to remind companies that the money comes from a real live person, and if I show up with a request or problem, they will be expected to serve me. Today I had a question about my deductible levels.

2) January of last year what you described exactly happened. An outgoing check I had written was stolen from my Mail box. The thief digitized it and electronically altered the payee and the amount lines. Then they went to the Walmart near our house and paid for over $250 of stuff, flashing the image with their phone to the cashier. Walmart is able to print out a copy of what they accepted from the phone. I found out a couple days later. When I went to the bank they were not surprised, it happens often. While the banker was helping me close the account and make sure the legit checks were going to clear, it was found that the same digitized check had been attempted at a couple more places. I never signed up for any electronic features, yet the thieves were welcomed with open arms.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Too much technology, yes it is convenient but is rolling the dice like a teenager that forgot his condom. I refuse to sign up for everything automatic, yet the banks keep giving people automatic access. I will not even allow a debit card.

Today I found another weak spot. This time every year I drive to the insurance office and pay my house and car insurance. I got my checkbook out and the woman asked if I still used account number "XXXXXXXXXX". I said yes, and she clicked a couple keys and said the money is taken from the account. I never signed up for automated transfer, but right in a little front office, on an ancient desktop computer, all my banking is sitting a couple keystrokes away.

The IRS, Medicare, Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Target, Walmart have all had their computers compromised in the last few years. How many small companies like my insurance agent have been given access to my account by the Bank? I confronted my bank about them giving electronic access last year. Their suggestion was to down load their app to my phone so I can check my money every day. Opening three or four extra portals to my account did not make security sense.

No wonder there is fraud everywhere, the bank leaves the vault open for everyone to help themselves.
    The check actually has all your account info on it... And many places don't even pass the paper check but do an ach from the check.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The check actually has all your account info on it... And many places don't even pass the paper check but do an ach from the check.
    That does not seem right to me, but I am sure what you say is true. That security flaw is entirely the fault of the banking community.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Why can't "they" issue a CC card that is only authorized for specific charges? seems like that would save a lot of time and trouble.
    I use Capital One. They have a virtual card feature that allows you to create multiple cards online attached to a single store.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That does not seem right to me, but I am sure what you say is true. That security flaw is entirely the fault of the banking community.
    Yep. True. My mom insists on writing checks still. Even explaining that using her debit is the exact same thing is fruitless. She likes having a check register to balance. "Fine, mom. Swipe your card on 5/15 at walmart for $103.16. Then write that info on the check register like you would when you write a check. Same outcome, just no check number." Nope. Still insists on checks.

They run the check through the scanner, maybe print out the amount and payee on the check if she hasnt already, then hand it back to you like a receipt. It really annoys here to an unnatural level that they wont take the check, process it, and send the cancelled check back like they used to.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yep. True. My mom insists on writing checks still. Even explaining that using her debit is the exact same thing is fruitless. She likes having a check register to balance. "Fine, mom. Swipe your card on 5/15 at walmart for $103.16. Then write that info on the check register like you would when you write a check. Same outcome, just no check number." Nope. Still insists on checks.

They run the check through the scanner, maybe print out the amount and payee on the check if she hasnt already, then hand it back to you like a receipt. It really annoys here to an unnatural level that they wont take the check, process it, and send the cancelled check back like they used to.

I have to deal with 6 checking accounts at my Legion... with paper checks.

fun
    fun
    fun

Top Bottom