I guess the new USPSA rules are official now??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blkrifle

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    terre haute
    So even after the RO says "stop," getting a squib rod and clearing the squib right there (as is often done since you usually need a rod to check for a squib anyway) now gets the shooter a DQ? Regardless whether they sweep themselves, etc?
    What if the RO clears it?
    -rvb

its all in how you look at it. 5.7.2.1 refers to what can't be done in 5.7.2, nothing else.

5.7.4 covers what happens when the competitor gives up or 2 minutes elapse.

then 5.7.5 and 5.7.7

sometime just singling one rule out leads to the wrong call. I learned this the hard way and had to reverse a call I had made.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    its all in how you look at it. 5.7.2.1 refers to what can't be done in 5.7.2, nothing else.

5.7.4 covers what happens when the competitor gives up or 2 minutes elapse.

then 5.7.5 and 5.7.7

sometime just singling one rule out leads to the wrong call. I learned this the hard way and had to reverse a call I had made.

I don't see how those rules change the DQ, even after the stop but before "Range is Clear."
    5.7.2 says you can fix your junk, however, 5.7.2.1 is the exception .... can't fix squibs, it's "specifically prohibited." HQ then specifically included the phrases "whether the RO has called stop or not" and "during the course of fire."
    5.7.4 just sets the time limit, it doesn't say what you are or aren't allowed to fix, so that doesn't trump 7.5.2.1
    5.7.5/7 doesn't apply because a gun with a stuck bullet is not a "loaded firearm" per the definition.

I would counter your list of rules with the NEW rule, 10.5.20, as well as 8.3.8.

"During a course of fire" has long been included as specific language. It's why I never say "Range is clear" when someone has a race holster until they're done fiddling with the gun/locks, because if it falls out before the command vs after changes how it's officiated.

I conclude that as ROs all we can do is confirm the squib, clear the range, and they have to fix it at the safe table... else the shooter ends up DQd.

-rvb

Last edited:

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    So I talked to Troy about this at length, and re-read it about 50 times, couple of things I missed when reading it

5.7.2.1 Attempting to clear a suspected “squib” is specifically prohibitedunder this provision whether the range officer has called stop ornot. Attempting to clear a squib during a course of fire isconsidered unsafe gun handling and will result in a disqualification

The emphasis is on who is doing what and when. The rule is so that a competitor cannot clear a squib during a course of fire. This does not mean that if a squib is suspected it cannot be checked, which is different then attempting to clear it. Checking can be looking and seeing a bullet stuck in there (like halfway out the end of the barrel), or sticking a zip tie down the chamber. Attempting to clear would be hammering it out with a rod.
    If a zip tie is placed in the chamber and there is one, the RO at that point can "show clear, holster" "Range is clear" and send the competitor to the safe table, or they can knock it out real quick right there.

This is specific to a competitor during the course of fire attempting to clear the squib, which is a DQ. It doesn't stop them from checking as long as they don't sweep themselves under 10.5.5 during the course of fire

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    What about a revolver that you can’t show clear with a forcing cone stoppage or a dislocated bullet over a live round in either
    chamber or subsequent charge hole?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom