• ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    First, for those who don't know a sous vide machine is simply a small water heater that is used to cook meat (mostly beef) in water. The meat is placed in a water proof bag with herbs or butter and then cooked in a water bath for several hours to an exact temperature. Then it is quickly seared to give it colour, not to cook it. That was done in the water bath. The meat is much better than on a grill or stove as that heat transfer process destroys the meat cells deep into the meat. The sous vide machine cooks to an exact temperature without damaging the meat.

It can be used to cook other things as well, like vegetables.

However, my new discovery was crystalized honey. I have a lot of honey that I bought last year in a auction. Much of it has crystalized. Heating it without harming it can be difficult. The best temperature I read to heat honey to in order to decrystalize it is 99 degrees fahrenheit.

This is easily accomplished with the sous vide machine. I put several bottles of unopened honey in the little plastic bear jars and after about two (2) days of gentle heating most of it has reverted to normal liquid.

It does take awhile but to preserve the consistency, taste and benefits it works great. I hope this helps someone, somewhere, somehow. Or just don't buy s******ds of honey and let it crystalize.;)

Regards and Happy New Year,

Doug

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Thanks for that info @Libertarian01 . I have a couple bottles that need some attention.

I love my sous vide. I learned, but have not tried yet, you can temper chocolate with a sous vide.

I got mine for doing steaks, but I have found it is helpful for a whole lot of things.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I never knew the ideal temperature, good to know. That means I can just set it outside in the summer!

I believe that is a good temperature. However, no honey expert here. Please do your own research and correct me if you find data that contradicts me.

Thanks,

Doug

SmokeMedic

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the tip on the crystallized honey, Doug! I really enjoy using sous vide so I'll definitely be writing this down. Recently, I did some 2" rib eyes for my birthday. My kids ate it faster than I could slice it.

Top Bottom