• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    The problem is the type of trap one uses and how they bait it. Here are two different types of traps:

Mouse%20Trap.jpg

VicMouseTrapsTD.jpg

The kind you want is the kind at the top. If you put bait on the flat trigger kind, they can usually nibble just a bit, or if you use cheese, they just pull it off. If you use the flat trigger kind pictured above, only the "V" portion of the trap should have peanut butter in it. The rest of the flat part should actually be clean. The kind with the small metal trigger that is curved, what you do is take a plastic knife, or glove hand, and place one finger over one side of the opening where the metal curls around. Then you push the peanut butter through the other opening just until it starts pushing out the small hole cut in the middle of the curled part of the middle. The below photo is way, way too much PB. In order to set the trap off, there needs to be some weight applied to the trigger, and using too much bait will allow the mouse to just eat the surrounding parts, and they might get full or move on prior to having to dig into the trigger to set it off. Think minimal bait and placed in areas where they will try to dig at. This forces the mouse to put their weight on the trigger than just lowering their heads to eat the bait.

MouseTrap-PeanutButter-8001-300x199.jpg

In your case, I would be putting out poison. There are some new poisons that actually dehydrate the bodies. This reduces any odor issues. I had a mouse in our wall. It sounded like it might have gotten stuck somehow. I put up some traps in the attack, along with some D-Con wedges. Last time I went up there, the traps were still set (I should have removed them, oh well) but the poison had definitely been eating. I really need to put some more poison out in the attic and garage. Found a dead mouse near our lawnmower just prior to our first snow in Nov. or Dec.

We used to have a bunch of feral cats, and we have never seen a mouse in any part of the living area of the home. Last year, we had three foxes living in the tree line, and they also would sit out looking for mice to eat. The foxes scared off the cats though (or ate them), and now the foxes are gone. I'm hoping a few cats come back, as they keep the mice, squirrels, and chipmunks in check. I do have a chipmunk that has burrowed under our concrete patio, and I'm gonna have to dispose of him or her once the weather breaks.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    I lived down in GA for years, where you are on a first-name basis with your extreminator and he comes on schedule once a month. He put out these small packets of poison food which the mice would eat into, then it dried them out from the inside. NO SMELL!! It basically attracts them, and when they ingest it, they are mummified. HIGHLY RECCOMENDED. Ask your exterminator.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Holy :poop:, I'll go out and buy 300 of these things if they work.

My only questions and concerns would be where to place them and when to move them...

If I place them by possible entrances and exits am I going to drive them deeper into my home or would they just run past them to get away from them as quick as possible?

Either way, I'm going to go buy several packages of these tomorrow.

Doesn't sound like the problem can get much worse. Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    You don't want antifreeze anywhere accessible to your dog's, it tastes like sugar water and they can't resist it.

We used to use a poison called "Blue Death" that worked well around the farm. I'd gladly deal with a a week of rotten mouse smell then several weeks of those little bastards pissing and ****ting all over everything

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    The problem is the type of trap one uses and how they bait it. Here are two different types of traps:

Mouse%20Trap.jpg

VicMouseTrapsTD.jpg

The kind you want is the kind at the top. If you put bait on the flat trigger kind, they can usually nibble just a bit, or if you use cheese, they just pull it off. If you use the flat trigger kind pictured above, only the "V" portion of the trap should have peanut butter in it. The rest of the flat part should actually be clean. The kind with the small metal trigger that is curved, what you do is take a plastic knife, or glove hand, and place one finger over one side of the opening where the metal curls around. Then you push the peanut butter through the other opening just until it starts pushing out the small hole cut in the middle of the curled part of the middle. The below photo is way, way too much PB. In order to set the trap off, there needs to be some weight applied to the trigger, and using too much bait will allow the mouse to just eat the surrounding parts, and they might get full or move on prior to having to dig into the trigger to set it off. Think minimal bait and placed in areas where they will try to dig at. This forces the mouse to put their weight on the trigger than just lowering their heads to eat the bait.

MouseTrap-PeanutButter-8001-300x199.jpg

In your case, I would be putting out poison. There are some new poisons that actually dehydrate the bodies. This reduces any odor issues. I had a mouse in our wall. It sounded like it might have gotten stuck somehow. I put up some traps in the attack, along with some D-Con wedges. Last time I went up there, the traps were still set (I should have removed them, oh well) but the poison had definitely been eating. I really need to put some more poison out in the attic and garage. Found a dead mouse near our lawnmower just prior to our first snow in Nov. or Dec.

We used to have a bunch of feral cats, and we have never seen a mouse in any part of the living area of the home. Last year, we had three foxes living in the tree line, and they also would sit out looking for mice to eat. The foxes scared off the cats though (or ate them), and now the foxes are gone. I'm hoping a few cats come back, as they keep the mice, squirrels, and chipmunks in check. I do have a chipmunk that has burrowed under our concrete patio, and I'm gonna have to dispose of him or her once the weather breaks.

Great info!

I have tried both of those traps and in my case they seem to work about the same, but the traps with the yellow platform give me a borderline anxiety attack everytime I set them...Sometimes it takes me 20 tries to set it on the ground before it goes off.

You don't want antifreeze anywhere accessible to your dog's, it tastes like sugar water and they can't resist it.

We used to use a poison called "Blue Death" that worked well around the farm. I'd gladly deal with a a week of rotten mouse smell then several weeks of those little bastards pissing and ****ting all over everything

Didn't they quit making antifreeze sweet for that exact reason?

Edit: I caught two more mice under the sink. HOLY :poop:! I just heard another trap go off as I am typing this!

So that's 3 more...I'm setting out the poison.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    unless it is a magic cat that can fit inside walls, a cat will not get rid of all the mice..
    a cat will reduce the mice you see.. but once they get established in the walls poison is the way to go..

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I really appreciate all of the suggestions, but just in case I didn't make it clear before,

I. Am. NOT. Getting. A. Cat.

Again, the cat suggestions are appreciated, but not necessary because IT'S NOT HAPPENING. So you can quit mentioning cats at anytime.

I'm going to clean under the sink and set out the D-Con here in a minute.

I guess I'll go ahead and put some more traps out too.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    I highly recommend the Gamo Whisper. :draw:

I have a ****ing mouse epidemic.:xmad:

What can I do, if anything?

I have seriously lost track of the total number of mice I have killed since it has been cold...I threw away 5 traps today alone(that's a record, but still).

We aren't slobs...We don't leave food out and all of the food in the kitchen is in top cabinets that aren't accessible to these little bastards.

The only food available is my Dog's food, but he usually leaves the bowl empty before the lights go out...Not that that is completely stopping them, because I'll see them during the day too; they are bold little ****ers.

I really don't want to use poison, because the thought of dead mice rotting in my walls not only repulses me, but if they started to rot and stink, I'd burn the house down.

For awhile, they weren't eating the peanut butter on the mouse traps, then when they started eating it, they were getting it before the trap would go off. Now, it seems they are getting lazy and complacent and I'm catching them again, so hopefully this trend continues and I'll check them all sooner rather than later.

Does anyone that's had a mouse problem have any tips/tricks I could use to speed up the process?

Has anyone with a BAD mouse problem ever used poison? If so, could you smell them decomposing?

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I really appreciate all of the suggestions, but just in case I didn't make it clear before,

Again, the cat suggestions are appreciated, but not necessary because IT'S NOT HAPPENING. So you can quit mentioning cats at anytime.

Have you thought about a cat? I hear they are pretty good at keeping the mice away. ;)

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    NOTE: I don't really care for cats, but in my life I've run across a few exceptions.

Too bad you don't have a cat like my girlfriend's cat.
    He's a mouse killing and eating machine!

She lives in the country surrounded by cornfields, and even after harvest when the mice come out of the fields and into her house, her cat has them all killed and eaten withing a few days.

He also kills and eats chipmunks, shrews (he throws 'em up though), and even killed a squirrel last Spring and ate on it for a couple of days.

YEARS ago he was a wild feral cat they rescued from a trap.
    Nursed him back to health and her kids, then little, slowly tamed him.

He's now a well behaved cat that isn't annoying (like most cats) and doesn't get into stuff.

We don't know what we'll do when he gets old and passes on.. :-)

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

I'm going to clean under the sink and set out the D-Con here in a minute.

I guess I'll go ahead and put some more traps out too.

Just curious, but why are you dead set against a cat? Make it an outside only cat...

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I keep several boxes of D-Con out year around, a couple in the attic, garage, basement...Never see any mice, never smell any dead mice, just notice some food missing occasionally. I use the rat poison kind, flat brown boxes, blue food pellets inside.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    If you can Find the holes were they are coming in or any holes you find in and around your house , Fill them up with Steel wool ..
    The mice eat through the steel wool , the steel gets into their guts and chews them up ...Natural poison ....LOL

also put the poison around the outside of your house .

Also if you take a lighter and slightly burn the peanut butter on the trap ..it will help it stay in place a bit better ..
    Good luck with your problem .:ingo:

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Besides traps and such, The best thing I've ever done is get some essence of peppermint oil and cotton balls. Soak the cotton balls in the peppermint oil and place them around the house. In cabinets, drawers, behind furniture and appliances. Basically anywhere and everywhere. Mice can't stand peppermint smell and they will vacat your property. An added benifit is peppermint smells good.

When I have mice problems that's what I do. Every winter without fail I had mice. This year I preemptively place peppermint infused cotton balls all over and haven't seen one yet. Good luck!

THIS ^^^

Seriously, it works and you don't have to worry about your pets or kids. This along with foil or steel wool in any holes you find will eventually solve your problem. Its likely going to take some vigilance no matter what method you use.

Top Bottom