I bought a gun safe for the bedroom....maybe too much of one.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    I wanted to buy a second safe. One to put a few more guns in the bedroom for accessibility. I happened to stop in my local John Deere to schedule winter service for my JD mower. At the entrance they had a board talking about the "12 Days of Christmas" and coming was the day that John Deere safes were 15% off and free delivery. I ended up buying a left over 2020 model Deluxe DM23 25 gun safe. It is an 11 gauge steel body that weighs a little of 600 lbs.

They are delivering the safe next week and in my excitement I forgot to think if it is too heavy for my bedroom floors? I am pretty sure the wall that I was going to place it is a non load bearing wall. I do have access to a load bearing wall but that is my wife's second choice.

Is there anything to do improve the situation quickly?

Thanks,

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Crawl? Basement? Slab? 1st floor? 2nd floor? 1950s or 2000's construction?

Put it up against an outside wall where the joists rest on the foundation. That's the strongest part of the floor. Only place it on an inside wall if there is an i-beam, or other support, across the joists right under the same

joists.png

joists 2.png

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I wanted to buy a second safe. One to put a few more guns in the bedroom for accessibility. I happened to stop in my local John Deere to schedule winter service for my JD mower. At the entrance they had a board talking about the "12 Days of Christmas" and coming was the day that John Deere safes were 15% off and free delivery. I ended up buying a left over 2020 model Deluxe DM23 25 gun safe. It is an 11 gauge steel body that weighs a little of 600 lbs.

They are delivering the safe next week and in my excitement I forgot to think if it is too heavy for my bedroom floors? I am pretty sure the wall that I was going to place it is a non load bearing wall. I do have access to a load bearing wall but that is my wife's second choice.

Is there anything to do improve the situation quickly?

Thanks,
    Figure out the weight per square foot of the safe, then what your floors can handle and go from there. You may have to put it somewhere else.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And if there is a crawl under the bedroom, install some concrete blocks, 4x4s and scissor/screw jacks if you want to put it where it isn't supported. Dad did this for the waterbed many moons ago.

westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    All great answers!!!!! Actually it is a 1 level ranch built in the 1960's crawlspace on a concrete block foundation. I t looks like it should fit to an outside wall best. That was our second choice and it should be good.

I do wish my memory was better. I am pretty sure that between my first and my current wife I had a water bed for a little while. It would have been along a non load bearing wall and I know for sure there had been more than 2 in the bed...lol

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    All great answers!!!!! Actually it is a 1 level ranch built in the 1960's crawlspace on a concrete block foundation. I t looks like it should fit to an outside wall best. That was our second choice and it should be good.

I do wish my memory was better. I am pretty sure that between my first and my current wife I had a water bed for a little while. It would have been along a non load bearing wall and I know for sure there had been more than 2 in the bed...lol
    THAT’s what I’m talking about! Assuming this was before cell phones, so Polaroids or it didn’t happen?!?!?

westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    After talking with my wife we are going ahead and putting it in the bedroom. In her positive thinking way my wife did bring up the fact that if the safe did fall thru the floor into the crawlspace it would make it make it harder for a thief to break in to.....God lover her!!!

All joking aside any who have bolted a safe thru a wooden floor I assume it needs to be bolted into the joists under the flooring? Since the JD safe is a Liberty that has pre-drilled holes what the spacing is?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    After talking with my wife we are going ahead and putting it in the bedroom. In her positive thinking way my wife did bring up the fact that if the safe did fall thru the floor into the crawlspace it would make it make it harder for a thief to break in to.....God lover her!!!

All joking aside any who have bolted a safe thru a wooden floor I assume it needs to be bolted into the joists under the flooring? Since the JD safe is a Liberty that has pre-drilled holes what the spacing is?
    I don't see why you would need to hit joists. Drill through the holes provided, get in the crawlspace and put a plate on the underside that spans from one bolt to the other.

You could do a wood or metal plate.

Top Bottom