• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I like the GunVaults, and have a couple, but their quality is not what it was years ago such that I no longer recommend them to friends.

Now I point friends to the Fort Knox boxes if they want something substantial.

However, one should realize that the number of combinations for the Simplex locks they use are limited to the point where a motivated teenager left to their own devices at home, could easily work through all the combinations and open the box in a few hours time (1081 combinations). But, for keeping the wee ones away, they're fine.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Biometric don't work with bloody hands.

Or for me, ever. Fingertips are too messed up.

and I'm also a big fan of gunvault.

Optics planet usually has great prices on them.

more or less this.

Would you you trust a smart gun to always work and work exactly when you need it? That's essentially what you are doing putting unreliable tech between you and your gun.

While I agree with "more or less", I'd say more of "Biomentric don't work with bloody hands" and much less of "big fan of gunvault".

I had a gunvault brand lock box. I don't remember which one but it had a mechanical lock. I think if you just want to keep young kids away from your handgun, yeah, it works for that.

But if you think it is secure from a determined individual whose googlefu isn't horrible you should think again. A lock box's security is only as good as its locking mechanism. I had to break into mine because the lock got jammed or something. Being quite motivated to retrieve my firearm from the box I was disappointed yet relieved at how quickly I could break into it.

If you really want it secure, a safe is the best bet. But then that makes it inconvenient, especially if as a rule you don't store loaded firearms in your gun safe. Since the small lock boxes really are only "secure" against young kids probably any of the typical lock boxes will do. The cheap bio-metrics, to me anyway, is really more of a gimmick.

I like the GunVaults, and have a couple, but their quality is not what it was years ago such that I no longer recommend them to friends.

Now I point friends to the Fort Knox boxes if they want something substantial.

However, one should realize that the number of combinations for the Simplex locks they use are limited to the point where a motivated teenager left to their own devices at home, could easily work through all the combinations and open the box in a few hours time (1081 combinations). But, for keeping the wee ones away, they're fine.

Just about any of the inexpensive locks they put on small lock boxes won't require a "brute force" type resolution. There's probably a youtube video of someone showing you how to defeat it within seconds to a few minutes. Small lockboxes should only be considered as a safety net to keep small hands away. Not as a security vault.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... Just about any of the inexpensive locks they put on small lock boxes won't require a "brute force" type resolution. There's probably a youtube video of someone showing you how to defeat it within seconds to a few minutes. Small lockboxes should only be considered as a safety net to keep small hands away. Not as a security vault.

Yeah, none of the residential security container boxes are a proper vault.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Well, I won't be getting one anytime soon then. The fort Liberty looks like it's the better one, but it's more than I can afford right now..
    Might wanna take a look at the Sentry Safe Brand. I haven't seen them included in any articles about having security issues. Bad reviews may be out there but again I haven't personally seen them.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Might wanna take a look at the Sentry Safe Brand. I haven't seen them included in any articles about having security issues. Bad reviews may be out there but again I haven't personally seen them.

Do you have one? I'm shopping for a small fireproof document type safe that can be hidden.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Do you have one? I'm shopping for a small fireproof document type safe that can be hidden.
    I don't have one of the fireproof ones. Just the handgun type one that I posted upthread. I'm probably gonna be looking to pick-up some kind of fireproof safe like you're talking about though. I have'nt decided on one yet.

Top Bottom