I am *begging* you, stop carrying on an empty chamber.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'm sorry if this sounds cruel, but our society has enough stupid people already. If a person wants to die for their belief in keeping the chamber empty, then please, let them keep their chamber empty. They will likely get shot someday and lay there in pain, or they may even die. I say, let them die even if they are
    Family or friends. I ask you, do you really want people to know that you associate with stupid people.

As in the story goes of the horse and water, I say let the darn horse die of thirst. You've led the beast to the water, but you can't make it drink.

I'm also sorry if you are one of the stupid people I'm talking about. Rest in Peace my friend.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    OK. OK.

What is the probability of being in a gunfight as a civilian?

What is the probability that you have less than 5 seconds to load a round into the chamber of a pistol?

I hear all this blather, but you don't have any facts or statistics. Look at the FBI homicide data base. All of you "experts" have no facts on probability. Don't be dis'ing someone if you can't provide data.

(ps. I carry with a round in the pipe at all times. My AR at home is staged with a full magazine, but without a round in the chamber. No kids at home.)

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Exactly, remember folks, guns kill people. They grow legs jump up on their own and go bang! It would be better off to just carry completely empty, as long as you look cool carrying nobody has to know it isn't loaded.

I'll just leave this here.

[video=youtube;8pU2IOTEZlU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pU2IOTEZlU[/video]

Blessings,
    Bill

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    There is a man who will not be spending Christmas with his wife and young son. That's all the data I need. It isn't about probability, it's about the price you have to pay.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Just like men, women don't take advice well either. Especially from someone they know. Set her up for a training coarse wit Steve over at beech grove firearms, or if your not close, find one in your neck of the woods. What's better than a gift (coarse) that could save someone's life?

^^^^^ Great advise ^^^^^^^^^

I sent my wife to the ladies only class at Kodiak in South Bend, IN. It was three evenings and she shot a total of 200 rounds. She came home excited that she was the one shooting the tightest groups in the class and talking about bullet specs and things she learned. I had tried to teach her but kind of hit a wall and realized my job is to kill spiders and open stuck lids on jars. After the class she now brings up the suggestion of when are we going to go shoot. Last week she said that she wanted to start carrying all the time.

The girl can shoot the legs off a Gnat at 25 yards so I am proud to have her as a partner.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    There is a man who will not be spending Christmas with his wife and young son. That's all the data I need. It isn't about probability, it's about the price you have to pay.

^^this. If you want to play statistics then why even bother carrying a gun in America? Odds are I won't ever need to draw my gun, but I'd hate to need a gun and not have it. It may not be an issue to carry w/out one in the chamber statistically, but who gives a damn about statistics when the incident is happening to you?

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    This issue must be why they designed the Browning BDM the way they did. Too bad it never got popular. I love mine although I have never put it in "revolver" mode I keep it in "pistol" mode.

I use the decocking lever to drop the hammer and then switch it to firing mode and carry like that. 15+1 chances to get it right.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Sounds like words of wisdom backed by experience.

I would never consider carrying on an empty chamber. That would be like not buckling up before driving, or like forgetting to don the trousers before going to work!

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    OK. OK.

What is the probability that you have less than 5 seconds to load a round into the chamber of a pistol?

I hear all this blather, but you don't have any facts or statistics. Look at the FBI homicide data base. All of you "experts" have no facts on probability. Don't be dis'ing someone if you can't provide data.

(ps. I carry with a round in the pipe at all times. My AR at home is staged with a full magazine, but without a round in the chamber. No kids at home.)

How much damage could this thug have done in the five seconds with a baseball bat? I would say he could easily hit her twice in a five second span but only one blow could have been lethal.

SC:Armed Elderly Woman Subdues Attacker Armed with Baseball bat

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    That was hilarious. :lmfao:

Almost as funny as the one it was in response to. Where the guy drops the hammer on his 1911 and removes the mag before going ni-night.:lmfao:

In his defense, he does have a bad as hell K5 blazer so can't be a total douch-nozzle.:dunno:

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    That visual cue of the cocked hammer can be a challenge to get over. It took me a while to develop that comfort level. I carried for a month cocked and locked on an empty chamber, during that whole time the hammer never magically fell on that empty chamber. That month was the learning curve I needed to be comfortable. Now I always carry cocked and locked on a chambered round. Keep reminding us noobs but don't be condescending, we will get there and those reminders are all part of the training and learning process.
    I also did this for about the same amount of time. I now carry with one chambered. Having a proper holster is also very important.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    BehindBlueI's, thank you for the OP.
    You have caused me to sign up for training that I expect will cause me to change my thinking.
    Reading posts that talk about a person's inability to have normal muscle skills in a life or death situation have shaken me a bit.
    I have been fooling myself thinking I will play it safe and rack it when I sense the need.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I have trained myself to draw-up, push muzzle out and stop the weapon with sights perfectly on target - with such force that it actually operates the slide and loads the first round when I draw my weapon. But it's really hard to learn so I to suggest that everyone except me carry their weapon with one in the chamber and ready to go.

2ndAMEND

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2013
    Northern
    I apologize if I made it seem as if I never carried with one in the chamber.I usually did it based off the area.that's been reconsidered after this post because danger is always around the corner. That S&W was the first gun I purchased at 21, but it wasn't the first gun I carried or fired.

Bogan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    OK. OK.

Yep, too many Internet ninjas and armchair operators here acting like sheeple who will swear by one mantra without any real life data backing it up.

To the OP, what percentage of cases have you got on your assertion basis for empty chamber getting you killed? What other factors were present that contributed to the outcome? You're certain that a chambered round will have saved the gun owner's life on your case? That he will have hit the BG, stopped the threat, by having one in the chamber? Not carrying is better than empty chamber carry? Produce the data...

Last edited:

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Yep, too many Internet ninjas and armchair operators here acting like sheeple who will swear by one mantra without any real life data backing it up.

To the OP, what percentage of cases have you got on your assertion basis for empty chamber getting you killed? What other factors were present that contributed to the outcome? You're certain that a chambered round will have saved the gun owner's life on your case? That he will have hit the BG, stopped the threat, by having one in the chamber? Not carrying is better than empty chamber carry? Produce the data...

It's advice.. take it or leave it..

Good Luck to you!

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm

This from one and done.:lmfao:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    That visual cue of the cocked hammer can be a challenge to get over. It took me a while to develop that comfort level. I carried for a month cocked and locked on an empty chamber, during that whole time the hammer never magically fell on that empty chamber. That month was the learning curve I needed to be comfortable. Now I always carry cocked and locked on a chambered round. Keep reminding us noobs but don't be condescending, we will get there and those reminders are all part of the training and learning process.

I also did this for about the same amount of time. I now carry with one chambered. Having a proper holster is also very important.

I did too, and for the same reason, but with a different gun. I still carry that one as my EDC, but now, I've also got my 1911 as another option, should I choose to carry it instead. :) It's got a learning curve, but you gotta love the 1911. I wasn't ready for it initially, but I'm comfortable with it now.

Blessings,
    Bill

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom