I am *begging* you, stop carrying on an empty chamber.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    The only valid? reasons I've heard to not carry chambered are:
    1) So I can rack the slide like on the movies - everybody knows the sound of a round chambering will send the most hardened criminal running.
    2) Because my gun is mechanically unsound and it could go off at any time.
    Zoiks
    Why would you even consider carrying a gun like that?

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Pure speculation - I have no knowledge, but the timing of this post makes me think this:

The Army Veteran who went to buy an IPad and was killed, was smart enough and trained well enough to go there with a handgun. Being an Army vet, more than likely he had a gun. Now, if he though he was headed to a bad side of town, he would have brought the weapon. Had he gotten there and instantly been caught off guard by an armed robbery, his training would likely have him defend himself first. As he was drawing and attempting to rack the slide, he could have been shot by the BG.

So whether I'm right or not, the point is the same, If a BG points a loaded gun at you and asks for your money and you are carrying an unloaded handgun, you are better off handing over all your valuables, than drawing empty. You won't have time to rack the slide, no matter how good you are.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    2) Because my gun is mechanically unsound and it could go off at any time.
    Zoiks

That's actually why "Israeli carry" was used in Israel in the 1950's and 1960's.The mostly used guns they had at that time were considered not safe to be carried with a round in the chamber.
    They still train and carry that way just because they are used to it even though it's not needed anymore with the modern semi-auto they use today.

If you use a modern handgun then carry with one in the chamber.
    If your gun is too old, and potentially unreliable, and that you feel the only safe way to carry it is to carry with an empty chamber then it's time to buy a modern gun.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That's actually why "Israeli carry" was used in Israel in the 1950's and 1960's.The mostly used guns they had at that time were considered not safe to be carried with a round in the chamber.
    They still train and carry that way just because they are used to it even though it's not needed anymore with the modern semi-auto they use today.

If you use a modern handgun then carry with one in the chamber.
    If your gun is too old, and potentially unreliable, and that you feel the only safe way to carry it is to carry with an empty chamber then it's time to buy a modern gun.

Yep, and if you DO want to "Israeli carry" I have no problem with it as long as you are as heavily trained as they are. Odds are you arent so you shouldnt.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Yep, and if you DO want to "Israeli carry" I have no problem with it as long as you are as heavily trained as they are. Odds are you arent so you shouldnt.

Also I think even if you carry with one in the chamber you should still practice the drills they use to chamber a round.
    Racking the slide on pocket, boots, belt etc ... that can be used to clear malfunctions.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Carrying on an empty chamber is fine, as long as the hammer is down on it and it is a DA revolver. Even then you are sacrificing a round you might possibly need, but better that than sacrificing the first couple seconds in a fight for your life.

Not only does carrying with an empty chamber endanger the person doing it, it gives hot burning fuel to the anti-gunner's arguments:

"Even those crazy gun people admit that carrying a loaded gun is unsafe, the law should require trigger locks on guns being carried. Better yet, the carrying of guns should be banned entirely!"

How can we fight an argument like that??? Tell them that those people are ignorant, untrained, or stupid? THAT will go over well...

"SEE! Even those crazy gun people admit that they are all slack-jawed, redneck, untrained idiots! An IQ test, mental evaluation, 40 hours of training, and a letter of endorsement from the chief LEO and a doctor should be required before you can even touch a gun in a gun store!"

See how that works? THAT is why it is important that everyone who owns and carries a gun educate themselves on the laws, get the best training they can afford (and by afford I mean making it a PRIORITY in the budget) and not do stupid **** that creates a losing battle for our rights.

The odds of getting struck by lightning, surviving it without any injuries and winning the lottery in the same day are better than a modern pistol firing on its own while being carried in a proper holster. As long as you don't carry any new Ruger models until after the inevitable recall :-P

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Maybe carrying a revolver with the hammer down on an empty chamber should be the standard recommendation for those who don't want to carry a round chambered. You don't have to worry about the gun going off on its own and you can still shoot just by pressing the trigger.

If you are still worried that you will press the trigger by accident, you should just reconsider your choice of self defense tools.

I'd trade a round for a faster easier draw any day. Then again, my EDC is a 1911 cocked and locked. I like having both speed AND all the bullets.

2ndAMEND

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2013
    Northern
    I usually don't carry my s&w ae loaded because it has no safety and I don't wanna leave it around children..I feel this message was meant for me to see, so when I leave the house it'll be loaded. . Thanks

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I usually don't carry my s&w ae loaded because it has no safety and I don't wanna leave it around children..I feel this message was meant for me to see, so when I leave the house it'll be loaded. . Thanks

Or you could always carry it loaded. You shouldn't be leaving it around children anyway. Educate them, and keep it secure or on your person. That way you never have to wonder what condition your firearm is in should you need it.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    I had a buddy that always had a empty chamber, he said that when he draws the gun, he can chamber it at the same time. When I asked to witness this amazing trick he ended up shooting a hole in our union halls floor. he doesn't carry at all anymore.:n00b:

It's interesting, your first reaction is to laugh at this individual, but then you can't. Because you just had a couple of seconds to think about the whole situation. The fact that the incident causes the individual to eschew carrying completely speaks volumes.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    Just like men, women don't take advice well either. Especially from someone they know. Set her up for a training coarse wit Steve over at beech grove firearms, or if your not close, find one in your neck of the woods. What's better than a gift (coarse) that could save someone's life?

It's AMAZING how that little reflex of theirs works. My cousin and I have had numerous discussions about our wives not taking our advice :lala: on something and then later (sometimes much later) turning around and telling us about the EXACT same thing and taking the advice of someone else. :scratch: Often from a perfect stranger or some goof on the TV. :n00b: WTF! It must be a stupid gene or something :dunno:

stevee

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2013
    Avon
    I often ask my SO this question. If a man spoke in the forest and no woman was there to hear him, would he still be wrong?

Last edited:

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    It's AMAZING how that little reflex of theirs works. My cousin and I have had numerous discussions about our wives not taking our advice :lala: on something and then later (sometimes much later) turning around and telling us about the EXACT same thing and taking the advice of someone else. :scratch: Often from a perfect stranger or some goof on the TV. :n00b: WTF! It must be a stupid gene or something :dunno:
    This happens to me all the time. Unbelievably frustrating.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    After acquiring my first Sig, I have become a big fan of their standardized frame mounted decockers, which do not include a safety. If your gun is DA/SA, and does have a safety decocker, then just turn it off after decocking. Sigs main advantage is just that the decocker is on the side of the frame and out of the way, making it easier to CC.

I truly think gun stores salesmen pushing Glocks to noobs (I hear it almost every time I go in a store) are responsible for how many people run around with empty chambers. Noobs should always start with a gun that has a safety or decocker IMO. If they won't put a round in the chamber, then that is proof I am right.

Perhaps the ideal carry for a noob is "decocked and unlocked".

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    After acquiring my first Sig, I have become a big fan of their standardized frame mounted decockers, which do not include a safety. If your gun is DA/SA, and does have a safety decocker, then just turn it off after decocking. Sigs main advantage is just that the decocker is on the side of the frame and out of the way, making it easier to CC.

I truly think gun stores salesmen pushing Glocks to noobs (I hear it almost every time I go in a store) are responsible for how many people run around with empty chambers. Noobs should always start with a gun that has a safety or decocker IMO. If they won't put a round in the chamber, then that is proof I am right.

i have possibly a better solution. How about when the gun store salesman gives a buyer wrong information about the life or death tool they are selling, then we get to stick them naked in a stall with a nursing calf? ;)

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Noobs should always start with a gun that has a safety or decocker IMO. If they won't put a round in the chamber, then that is proof I am right.

It is proof only that they are untrained and ignorant of, or uncomfortable with, proper techniques. New gun owners should start with something they are comfortable with and can employ effectively. They need proper training regardless of the gun they choose.

Top Bottom