I am *begging* you, stop carrying on an empty chamber.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Yep, too many Internet ninjas and armchair operators here acting like sheeple who will swear by one mantra without any real life data backing it up.

To the OP, what percentage of cases have you got on your assertion basis for empty chamber getting you killed? What other factors were present that contributed to the outcome? You're certain that a chambered round will have saved the gun owner's life on your case? That he will have hit the BG, stopped the threat, by having one in the chamber? Not carrying is better than empty chamber carry? Produce the data...
    There is a good chance you may have to fight with one hand and draw with another. Yes, you can rack a slide with only one hand and no, I have no data and that is just my opinion. Yes, like you, I am a certified interwebs ninja.

Last edited:

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    That is why I went to carrying a j frame smith. I did not like the chambering and unchambering a round with the semi all the time. Also it is a very comfortable gun to carry.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    My own recently discharged son needed to broke form this empty chamber carry thing. He had a LTCH before going into the Army and had received plenty of proper training on how to carry ect. After 8 years active duty with 80% overseas in Africa,Korea and Iraq x3 he comes home. I notice he is carrying his M&P on an empty chamber. I think I have finally broke him of it. I think it is a US Army thing. The US Army has always seemed to be afraid of the troops having handguns and usually strictly limit passing them out.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Yep, too many Internet ninjas and armchair operators here acting like sheeple who will swear by one mantra without any real life data backing it up.

Based in my own personal research, which I assure you is extensive, the results are clear.

I've even created a simple pie chart to prevent any confusion.

408290082.jpg

I will admit that the data could be skewed by the fact that all research was done in a relatively controlled environment. Perhaps under stressful circumstances and adding the fear and adrenalin of a life and death situation, the unloaded gun would have fired.

Last edited:

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    How hard is it for people to understand that stats aren't the end all be all? Statistically, I should be fine carrying on an empty chamber. All it takes is ONE time and then I'm dead. No thanks, I'll ignore the stats on this one and play it safe.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I don't carry a gun. I just walk around with bullets in my pocket.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What is the probability of being in a gunfight as a civilian?

What is the probability that you have less than 5 seconds to load a round into the chamber of a pistol?

Seriously? I think this is my favorite thing you've said since you tried to convince me a single action revolver as an EDC isn't antiquated. Personally, I don't know what the odds are, but I know what the stakes are. I will continue to carry the best equipment I can find and will not hamstring myself with subpar equipment because its cheap, its cool, its easy, I'm unwilling to learn my equipment and train, etc. I will continue to encourage others to do the same.

To the OP, what percentage of cases have you got on your assertion basis for empty chamber getting you killed?

What basis does anyone have to say that carrying on an empty chamber will help keep you from getting killed? There's a no advantage to carrying without one in the chamber assuming a properly functioning handgun and a proper holster. If you lack those two things, you shouldn't be carrying. There's a distinct disadvantage to carrying without one in the chamber. People who believe speed doesn't matter haven't seen men dead or wounded with an unfired handgun.

Like I said, I'm not commenting on any specific case. I think some folks sometimes think their firearm is a talisman against evil. That simply having it will make them safe. I've had many instances of armed victims where the handgun made no difference at all, and a few where it was the motive for the crime. I've shared some of them in other threads if you care to search. If you can't accept that I know what I'm talking about and that I'm legitimately trying to help people survive violent encounters, ignore me and move on.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Based in my own personal research, which I assure you is extensive, the results are clear.

I've even created a simple pie chart to prevent any confusion.

408290082.jpg

I will admit that the data could be skewed by the fact that all research was done in a relatively controlled environment. Perhaps under stressful circumstances and adding the fear and adrenalin of a life and death situation, the unloaded gun would have fired.

yep literally laughed out loud...for awhile hahahahahahaahaa

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    Like I said, I'm not commenting on any specific case. I think some folks sometimes think their firearm is a talisman against evil. That simply having it will make them safe. I've had many instances of armed victims where the handgun made no difference at all, and a few where it was the motive for the crime. I've shared some of them in other threads if you care to search. If you can't accept that I know what I'm talking about and that I'm legitimately trying to help people survive violent encounters, ignore me and move on.

Like. :yesway:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

To the OP, what percentage of cases have you got on your assertion basis for empty chamber getting you killed? What other factors were present that contributed to the outcome? You're certain that a chambered round will have saved the gun owner's life on your case? That he will have hit the BG, stopped the threat, by having one in the chamber? Not carrying is better than empty chamber carry? Produce the data...
    What does this blather about hitting or not hitting the bad guy with a chambered round have to do with anything the OP is trying to convey? I would submit that you will most certainly NOT hit the bad guy with an un-chambered round and I DON'T need to produce any data to back my assertion.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Yea I don't personally see any reason to carry without one in the chamber, but nobody has ever called me smart either. I do think condition butterscotch is the safest way to carry a firearm, unless of course I need to use it.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012

For all of the people that reply to this guys posts, I thought I was the only one that had yet to ignore this guy. I like to see what everybody has to say, but this one in particular is so far off the mark, I am probably not going out on a limb here to call him a troll. Seriously, look at some of the things he posts here. Seems like it is taken right off of democratic underground or something.

Heck, then again, go ahead and feed the troll. It is funny to see some of the things he pulls from his rectal region.

Old_grunt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Bloomington
    A chambered round is faster than an empty.
    Why give up that extra time when it's unlikely you're gonna outdraw an already-drawn gun...?

The late Bob Munden is the only person I've ever heard of, that absolutely had the upper hand, in the situation you describe. There are numerous YouTube vids of him drawing, cocking, aiming and firing 2 shots, using a SA Colt .45 and one vid, where Bob was tested by a speed/motion expert. Bob drew, fired twice, hitting both targets and reholstered, in less than 1/10th of 1 second. The man running the test indicated that Bob's gun hand pulled 10G and his speed actually was faster than that of a rattlesnake. This link is to that video Bob Munden - Super Humans - YouTube

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    The late Bob Munden is the only person I've ever heard of, that absolutely had the upper hand, in the situation you describe. There are numerous YouTube vids of him drawing, cocking, aiming and firing 2 shots, using a SA Colt .45 and one vid, where Bob was tested by a speed/motion expert. Bob drew, fired twice, hitting both targets and reholstered, in less than 1/10th of 1 second. The man running the test indicated that Bob's gun hand pulled 10G and his speed actually was faster than that of a rattlesnake. This link is to that video Bob Munden - Super Humans - YouTube

Not to mention he uses a HIGHLY modified handgun.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood

You are a troll and all of your past posts convey the same crap. *ignored* Buh-bye :gheyhi:

Top Bottom