• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'll grant all the points on use/costs to build a 2000 year bridge, or the wisdom of such. I'm just using it as an example, still what could be done to make highways/bridges last longer? History tells us that the Romans were conscientious about drainage for their roads, again I know that thier roads saw less use than ours.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    If I was going to do that I’d jump off 37 at Henderson Ford, shoot over to Centerton road and take that to 67. There will be a lot less traffic and I’m sure they’ll be closing 144 soon, they already have the east bound traffic detouring to banta road.
    Just from watching the progression at that intersection my guess is that they are planning on re-opening 144 on the overpass. You'll be able to go north on 37 or exit 37 going southbound but will be unable to go south from 144 or exit 37 northbound to 144 for a while. Purely speculation on my part.

I do know that when they closed eastbound 144 a couple of weeks ago it was for 4 weeks after which the county was going to close it for 2 weeks. The county wants to redo several culverts east of the project location. Again speculation but the reason the county doesn't work the culverts while the project has 144 closed is so the residents in the area can access their homes from the east while it's closed by the project and from the west while they do the culverts.

I'm guessing we'll be using most of the new overpass within a month or so.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    As part of it, Johnson county is redoing ONE MILE of Smith valley road to add ONE LANE.

Total cost: $44 million.

Our roads seem like one of the largest scams around.
    I know I've said it before but the road industry in Indiana must be staggeringly corrupt for how long it takes, how much it costs, and the awful quality of finished product that we get out of it.

Everywhere else I go in the United States (except Michigan), the roads are much better and I know it's not because West Virginia or wherever is rolling in cash compared in Indiana.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I know I've said it before but the road industry in Indiana must be staggeringly corrupt for how long it takes, how much it costs, and the awful quality of finished product that we get out of it.

Everywhere else I go in the United States (except Michigan), the roads are much better and I know it's not because West Virginia or wherever is rolling in cash compared in Indiana.
    Although I haven't been that route lately, I-20 between Birmingham and Tuscaloosa let you know whenever you crossed an expansion line or part line in the pavement.

Every. Single. One. Of. Them.

In the 15 years since we made that trip we've yet to find a single stretch of pavement that bad. We've been on dirt and gravel roads that weren't that bad!

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Although I haven't been that route lately, I-20 between Birmingham and Tuscaloosa let you know whenever you crossed an expansion line or part line in the pavement.

Every. Single. One. Of. Them.

In the 15 years since we made that trip we've yet to find a single stretch of pavement that bad. We've been on dirt and gravel roads that weren't that bad!
    I-69 in Michigan.

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    My wife has to drive from Martinsville to work in Greenwood. She sets her cruise on 57 in the 45 mph work zone and weekly has people passing her on the shoulder, flashing lights at her, etc. Drivers out there today are crazy, but I’m sure I’m not telling all of you anything you didn’t already know.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    People LOVE being behind me in my work vehicles. My GPS-monitored work vehicles. Sticker on the bumper warns people of it, too.

I'm generally a +5 mph driver in general. I465 is where I differ.

But especially in a work vehicle, I'm going about +5. Maybe even +7 when I know that I'm "that guy".

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    People LOVE being behind me in my work vehicles. My GPS-monitored work vehicles. Sticker on the bumper warns people of it, too.

I'm generally a +5 mph driver in general. I465 is where I differ.

But especially in a work vehicle, I'm going about +5. Maybe even +7 when I know that I'm "that guy".
    Definitely the same, except the gps monitoring, they don’t care where I go as long as I get my stuff done and don’t tear anything up… I try to keep it closer to the speed limit in the construction zones, especially down 37 north of 144, it’s to congested and to narrow so I just hang back.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Definitely the same, except the gps monitoring, they don’t care where I go as long as I get my stuff done and don’t tear anything up… I try to keep it closer to the speed limit in the construction zones, especially down 37 north of 144, it’s to congested and to narrow so I just hang back.
    How to phrase this... Let's see here. I'll say that some people have literally nothing else to do but to complain about employees of the organization that I work for. My employer's "logo" is on large stickers on the doors of our vehicles (most of them), as well as particularly unique license plates. In short, it's easy to report poor driving.

I've been on the receiving end of a (false) poor driving report (20 years ago). I do my best do not get another one that somehow may affect my employment status.

So - when construction zones say 45mph... I'm gonna go way closer to that in my work vehicle than I ever would in my own personal car. And when I'm in my own personal car, it's all situationally dependent my speed. The work zones where we all know it's miles and miles of 1 lane with zero work/workers? I tend to go a tick faster. The super narrow lanes with work going on both sides like on the north side of Lebanon? I go slower.

Top Bottom