• Status
    Not open for further replies.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Watching the news, lots of towns complaining they didn't get sea walls & levies fixed from Katrina...

Over 60% of the population refusing to leave...

One of the definitions of insanity is doing the same thing over & over expecting different results.

I grew up in, and still live in 'Tornado Alley'.
    I built a tornado proof house simply because tornados about every 20 years are part of living here...
    (And I'm not insane)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Watching the news, lots of towns complaining they didn't get sea walls & levies fixed from Katrina...

Over 60% of the population refusing to leave...

One of the definitions of insanity is doing the same thing over & over expecting different results.

I grew up in, and still live in 'Tornado Alley'.
    I built a tornado proof house simply because tornados about every 20 years are part of living here...
    (And I'm not insane)
    But here is the difference between you and them.

Tornadoes are TINY compared to a hurricane. Odds are you wont get hit. And if you DO manage to get hit, the odds are exponentially in your favor that it wont happen again.

But with a hurricane, its not *IF* your house will be hit, its *WHEN* your house will be hit. Repeatedly, just to varying degrees each time.

EDIT: fixed highlighted typo.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    God is an interesting cat. He orchestrated this same event 16 years ago TO THE DAY and people still be like "Help me, my home is under 10 feet of water and I'm on the roof."

Some call it resilient, others call it stupid.
    People dont listen. Reminds me of a joke.

A severa storm broils up and the weather man says "severe flood warning. If you are in the valley, move to higher ground IMMEDIATELY." Most people do, but old man smith doesn't.

Sure enough the flood comes and a boat comes by and old man Smith is on his front porch, up to his knees in water.
    The rescue boat says "Get in!"
    Old man Smith says "Nope. God will provide and protect me."
    Later that day, he is sitting on his roof with the floodwaters lapping at the gutters.
    Another rescue boat comes by. "get in!" they say.
    Once again "Nope. God will provide and protect me."
    The boat moves on.
    Later that night, a helicopter flies overhead, and spotlights him clinging to his chimney, up to his chest in rushing water now.
    They lower a basket and yell "GET IN!"
    He waves them off saying "Nope. God will provide and protect me."

Fast forward to the pearly gates. St Peter is standing there, and up walks an angry, confused (and still slightly wet) Old Man Smith.

He is visibly upset and St Peter asks him what is wrong.
    "I cant believe I died. I put all my faith in God, yet I still died. I dont understand!"

St Peter looks at him very angrily and says "You cant be serious!?!? We sent you advanced warning, two boats, and a helicopter! What MORE did you want?"

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    But here is the difference between you and them.

Tornadoes are TINY compared to a tornado. Odds are you wont get hit. And if you DO manage to get hit, the odds are exponentially in your favor that it wont happen again.

But with a hurricane, its not *IF* your house will be hit, its *WHEN* your house will be hit. Repeatedly, just to varying degrees each time.

I'm not sure about "Tiny" is the word I'd use after being in a couple...

While a hurricane hits with 150 MPH winds, tornados can have 350 MPH winds.

And once you have seen a triple that's wiping out 1-1/2 miles wide you learn to respect the power.

I just solved the potential issues that can happen, and since tornados seem to follow the river here, and I'm 800 yards from that river...

Slept through the last one that ripped trees out 1/4 mile away and damaged the shop roof, never even woke up.
    Wasn't aware the power grid was down for 1-1/2 days (out over a week) until we went to brunch and the restaurant was closed...

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Must be my typo.

A Tornado destroys JUST a neighborhood. A hurricane devastates an entire state at LEAST. I was comparing something 100 yards to a mile wide, to something that is at LEAST one state wide.
    Vacationed last year with a direct hit from a tiny hurricane. It barely made cat 2 at landfall. It’s like a tornado that took 4 days to pass.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom