• ...and so much more!
  • Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I did a little searching in the forum here, but nothing popped out at me, so new thread.

I'm looking for a good hunting set with a gut hook. I've been nickel and diming myself, and I do know better than that, but still I'd like to keep a decent budget about it, maybe $150. I'm not an expert on the steel, but I have to think there's something that will take and keep an edge. Now, I'm not expecting to be able to shave with it indefinitely, but I can't even get through a squirrel without needing a touchup. Am I expecting too much? If you have any recommendations, they would be muchly appreciated.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Havalon has been my friend for hunting. Dull blade? Slap a new one on there and keep rolling.

They aren't my first choice for anything general purpose, but they are awesome for after-the-kill gutting, caping, and processing.

Havalon Knives

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    I have a Benchmade Saddle Mountain Skinner without a gut hook that went through an elk last fall without needing to touch the edge up. They do make it with a gut hook. Little big for squirrel but has been great on deer and elk.

Knife Center has them for <$150. Skinner

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    How well does a gut hook built-in to a knife blade work compared to a separate tool like a Wyoming Knife?

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Those Benchmade Hunt ones look like the thing. They have a video about the S30V steel, and I must say I'm impressed. The lifetime service/sharpening sells me as well. My son can get a decent edge on things when he can avoid amputating bits of himself, but a factory edge once a year, yeah. I'd like to see what kind of deal could be made on a 15016-1 and 15003-1.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've dressed dozens of deer and never used a gut hook knife.
    Never popped the gut either.
    What does such a knife blade save you time wise?
    Allow the major unzip at 5 seconds vs 30 with a reg knife?

On deer, which are small and can be rolled on their back..........I simply don't see the need.
    Hell, it's a 5 minute speed surgery job to field dress a deer with a reg knife (no blood past wrists, none on clothes).

Elk/Moose...........might need a gut hook blade (I dunno).
    Isn't the trend there to bone out (no gutting)?
    Maybe such a blade helps rip n zip elsewhere.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I've dressed dozens of deer and never used a gut hook knife.
    Never popped the gut either.
    What does such a knife blade save you time wise?
    Allow the major unzip at 5 seconds vs 30 with a reg knife?

On deer, which are small and can be rolled on their back..........I simply don't see the need.
    Hell, it's a 5 minute speed surgery job to field dress a deer with a reg knife (no blood past wrists, none on clothes).

Elk/Moose...........might need a gut hook blade (I dunno).
    Isn't the trend there to bone out (no gutting)?
    Maybe such a blade helps rip n zip elsewhere.

I never saw the use till I tried one. It just makes things easier/quicker. Could I do without it, sure. Would I buy a knife without it, sure. If the knife I want has it on it, I will still use it.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    I skin my deer with a car, a rope and a golf ball...BUT, I do have some knives with the hook..I find it to be a little difficult to sharpen. Knives of Alaska used to sell some nice sets.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    A car, a rope and a golf ball. I'd like to see that, it actually sounds fascinating.

Any more, I sometimes get a little twitchy if I have to freehand anything with my right hand, the shoulder and wrist are weak. Mostly, I've gotten used to the hook because I've been too cheap to buy a blade that could cut through warm butter a second time without sharpening it. Just hook it and rip. I might do better now.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    I cut the legs off...(Axe) Hang the deer (slip knot around the neck) with strong rope. Make a cut around the neck, and start peeling down. When you have several inches peeled down, wrap a golf ball (or a rock..ect) in the loose skin and tie around it with another rope, which is attached to the vehicle...slowly pull the skin off! It works great!

Top Bottom