• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beardown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Southern Indy
    Hey All - I'm getting back into hunting after about 20 years off. I hunted when I was a kid with my dad, but then that kind of fell off when I got into *edit*highschool sports :):. I'm curious what the best warm weather gear is for this time of year. I'm looking for great cammo wear for this time of year in woodland areas. Thanks so much for your help! It's been great reading all the posts to get me back in the game.

gs

Last edited:

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    Just remember the saying "cotton kills". Its OK for outer layers if you want but for base layers go with a synthetic material and wool outer garments cannot be beat IMO. I personally use the Medalist brand of base layers.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    A lot will depend on the hunting you're doing, but layering is definitely important. Start with a good base layer that wicks sweat away and insulates well (I use Under Armor but some don't prefer the tight-ish fit, lots of other good options out there). You'll want middle layers that insulates without adding a ton of bulk and an outer layer that blocks the wind and allows you to vent some heat if ya get too hot. I usually like a waterproof outer layer, but that isn't always necessary and can add cost if not needed. Usually when I hunt I'll leave some layers off when I walk in and put them on when I get where I want to be (I start sweating way too easy). Figuring out your own comfy temp range is important, some people might freeze in what other people would sweat like crazy in.

As far as camo goes, I think that boils down to what you like and think looks good for your area. I think lots of the popular stuff out there now is too dark, but YMMV.

Good luck, and feel free to ask more questions. This is a good place for it. :ingo:

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Hey All - I'm getting back into hunting after about 20 years off. I hunted when I was a kid with my dad, but then that kind of fell off when I got into *edit*highschool sports :):. I'm curious what the best warm weather gear is for this time of year. I'm looking for great cammo wear for this time of year in woodland areas. Thanks so much for your help! It's been great reading all the posts to get me back in the game.

gs

What type of hunting are you planning to do?

As posted above, layers are the best mindset. I, too, really like the use of Under Armour for base layers. Provides a lot of warmth, while breathing, and still allows you to stay mobile and not feel like you cannot move because of being bundled up to the extreme. But, again, depending of what type of hunting you are doing (walking, sitting, etc...) will dictate a lot.

IMO, good base layers are NOT the pieces to not skimp on.

In regards to all of my gear, I purchase a lot of my gear from Cabelas. Their quality and price points seem to be spot on.

Another thing to consider, I typically see a lot of camo and hunting appears go on sale later this winter after deer shotgun season...

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    You get what you pay for. I like gloves till in a deer stand, then mittens are better.(shooter style, removable half hand/ or finger). Boots are a whole world. Also remember most hunting areas are marshy at some point, waterproof is important. Lightweight is also important. Socks can make or break your feet. My boots came from Gander Mountain, can't recall the brand, but are semi watertight/nylon camo. On sale were around $70.00 a few years back. They have a great lugger sole, Wifey has me park them outside till the mud dries.

Insulated coveralls are good also, get a full side leg zipper model, snaps, I have bibs, and you can add or remove a jacket/sweatshirt easy. Wifey got me a fleece neck/head gaiter(balaclava) like the" tact" teams use. First impression was negative, but during a snow storm in a tree stand, changed my opinion. Keeps icy wind off my neck and face.
    If you forego coveralls, only buy a ripstop pants(like army style w/ leg pockets). You can carry extra hat or gloves, or a quick snack easy that way.
    Some briars and thorny bushes will shread your jeans, and they aren't really warm anyway. If you don't have a poncho, might be a good investment to keep water off you.
    Good luck.

pgfrmr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Fishers
    Yep, layers is where it's at. A great outer shell is Cabelas Wooltimate line of jackets and bibs. They cut the wind great and provide great warmth and comfort.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Wifey got me a fleece neck/head gaiter(balaclava) like the" tact" teams use. First impression was negative, but during a snow storm in a tree stand, changed my opinion. Keeps icy wind off my neck and face.

I agree that a good neck gaiter, in cold weather, can be a game changer. I picked up an Under Armour fleece neck gaiter this year to try out. I, too, was a little skeptical, but, I realized that it is awesome for cold, windy days. I view it as one if my winter hunting gear essentials now.

I wore it while laying in a field for two days a couple of weeks ago goose and duck hunting. Harsh wind and even snow in the second day. The neck gaiter was a huge help.

Remember - any exposed part of your body is subject to the elements. So, even if you have enough layers on your legs and upper body, an exposed head, hands, etc. can negate all of your other efforts to stay warm.

Top Bottom