• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Good article on where to kill a deer and what happens if it's a bad shot. #1 place and the most humane way is listed as the brain shot.

Note what he said:
    "Listen to this if you are an amateur in hunting. The brain is a high skill area and requires shooting from the front."

All shots can have bad consequences if you are off.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    The thread started with a deer shot through not just a broken leg that is what I'm addressing.
    I understand. Just figured I would share for anyone interested in reading. There are way too many deer maimed by "hunters" and poachers, the latter is probably responsible for the does that is the topic of this thread. We have seen our share of gut shot deer, etc. That were maimed by a neighbor who apparently feels target practice is not something he should do. Like the does he shot during bow season...asked if he could track her in our woods. He claimed it was a good hit nit a little low. He tracked all over our woods...ruined any chance we had for filling our freezer that weekend and was finally told to go home since he had no blood trail. The buzzards led us to the does a day later. She had his arrow sticking out of her rump and she had thrashed around in agony as she died there as evidenced by the ground around her. How the hell is that a good hit or a little low??? This guy only reports/tags the ones he recovers. One year he shot at least 8 deer. I think he recovered 3. These are the idiots running around in the woods giving hunters a bad rep.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    No doubt they live with broken legs. Yet you keep failing to address the 2" hole in their sides, or the gut shot deer. They do not live and die painfully over days.

My style of hunting works best for me and I will keep doing it that way. If you are unable to take a good head shoot by all means shot toward the heart or lungs. Hopefully you hit the heart so it only suffers a few seconds. The lungs they suffer much longer. If you hit the gut that's a very long painful death.

I dont recommend shooting deer in the eye or ear hole to those who are not able to do so.
    Yes, deer can live with a 2" hole in their sides provided it is shallow enough. Many bucks have taken worse from fighting and lived to fight another day. A gut shot deer will be dead in 36 hours, a deer shot in the jaw can live for multiple days and or weeks before they weaken enough for predators to bring them down, longer still to actually die of dehydration or malnutrition.

Heart shot deer can live as long as lung shot deer and often travel farther. Both shots will put deer down quickly with the deer often not even realizing what happened. How much they suffer is hard to quantify but likely far less than any other form death is likely to take for them.

See that's the problem, no one is infallible. You're betting on continued perfection and leaving yourself no margin for error. Sooner or later a deer is going to pay the price for your hubris.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    According to US Law Shield, it is legal to shoot a wounded animal in order to prevent prolonged suffering.
    That may be true, but according to IC code, it is illegal to take a deer with certain types of guns, and certain calibers. It is also illegal to take a deer or pursue a deer on private property without permission. Assuming he went to someone else. Trespassing also comes to mind.

Again, law be damned, he did the right thing.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Yes, deer can live with a 2" hole in their sides provided it is shallow enough. Many bucks have taken worse from fighting and lived to fight another day. A gut shot deer will be dead in 36 hours, a deer shot in the jaw can live for multiple days and or weeks before they weaken enough for predators to bring them down, longer still to actually die of dehydration or malnutrition.

Heart shot deer can live as long as lung shot deer and often travel farther. Both shots will put deer down quickly with the deer often not even realizing what happened. How much they suffer is hard to quantify but likely far less than any other form death is likely to take for them.

See that's the problem, no one is infallible. You're betting on continued perfection and leaving yourself no margin for error. Sooner or later a deer is going to pay the price for your hubris.
    It all falls on shot placement. If the hunter is off, or the bullet hits a twig it can throw the flight path off enough to miss what you are aiming for.
    Both of those mentioned above is still the hunters fault. Better shooting skills is needed, and the intelligence to not shoot through thickets, and other things obscuring the target.
    I mentioned up thread if I dont have the shot I want which is side or front I don't take it. I also make a weird sound which usually makes them stop and look towards me long enough to get a good shot on them. I also do not hunt more than 50yards because of my woods are pretty thick. I'm using the 6.5 Grendel which is an excellent caliber, and 123gr Hornady SST. They shoot less than 1 moa at 100yds and about .5" at 50yds maybe a hair more.
    That said marksmanship plays a big part as well as trusting your rifle and the ammo you are using.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    That may be true, but according to IC code, it is illegal to take a deer with certain types of guns, and certain calibers. It is also illegal to take a deer or pursue a deer on private property without permission. Assuming he went to someone else. Trespassing also comes to mind.

My family has always called the the dispatcher who sends a Trooper or deputy out to kill it with a 9mm pistol. Then ask if we want it. Which we usually do. Free deer meat legally.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    It all falls on shot placement. If the hunter is off, or the bullet hits a twig it can throw the flight path off enough to miss what you are aiming for.
    Both of those mentioned above is still the hunters fault. Better shooting skills is needed, and the intelligence to not shoot through thickets, and other things obscuring the target.
    I mentioned up thread if I dont have the shot I want which is side or front I don't take it. I also make a weird sound which usually makes them stop and look towards me long enough to get a good shot on them. I also do not hunt more than 50yards because of my woods are pretty thick. I'm using the 6.5 Grendel which is an excellent caliber, and 123gr Hornady SST. They shoot less than 1 moa at 100yds and about .5" at 50yds maybe a hair more.
    That said marksmanship plays a big part as well as trusting your rifle and the ammo you are using.
    I'm glad it works for you, I truly hope I'm wrong and you don't find out the hard way that no one and no equipment is infallible.

fishbass62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Dec 24, 2011
    Franklin

I.C. 35-46-3-12(e) I agree that common sense should prevail.

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Loosing a deer really sucks, but it does happen. I've always been extremely diligent about my hunting equipment. Having extremely accurate equipment, checking zeros, knowing drops past 100 (from experience not from an app), and basically being able to place my shots exactly where I want. I take between 3 and 5 deer every year depending on how much we eat. The last deer I missed or lost (without hitting an unseen limb) was in 2007 when the bedding broke around the recoil lug on my muzzle loader, and my accuracy (unknown to me) went to crap. It was fine when I checked my zeros, but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn on opening day of gun season.

Last year during archery season, I stood perfectly still in a laneway while having a stairing contest with a big doe that was feeding along the edge of a field with 6 other deer. They came out into the field around 4:15 and started feeding. The field is a little too far from that stand for an archery shot, so I climbed down the ladder and snuck up to an opening in the fence. She had heard me step on a leaf from about 60 yds, but couldn't see me because of all the brush in the old fence row that separated us. She went on high alert, and stayed that way. I was 3 yds short of where I really wanted to be, but I couldn't move. I identified 2 shooting windows that would work, but I'd have to remain standing instead of taking a knee like I had planned. As I stood there for what seemed like forever, 2 of the deer eventually layed down in the field about 10 yds from me. It was neat watching them munch on the winter wheat around them as they too waited on the big doe to catch up. Finally, she was at 15 yds. The sun had set, but there was still plenty of daylight. She was in one of the windows, and had turned her head to look behind her at the 3 does that had separated and fed out into the middle of the field. She must have heard the butt stock rub against my jacket as I raised my crossbow. She turned and faced me, and stomped. I knew this was it, so I shot her in the neck. With this crossbow, I shoot under 2" at 60 yds sitting down, and under 2" at 40 yds standing up. Head on neck shot at 15 yds was as much of a gimme shot as a 3" putt for a PGA pro. THUD, and off she runs. I tracked her for about 300 yds before the trail went dry. I had replaced my bolts over the summer. I had problems with them not wanting to group. Each bolt hit the same place every time, but not all of them would hit together. I thought I had weeded out all but the 5 that would all hit the same POI, but apparently one hit a little to the right... Made me sick to my stomach. I played that shot over and over in my mind for days. Every time I squeeze the trigger, on paper or on game, the sight picture freezes in my mind. It was a good shot, dead on the money, no flinch. This past spring I ordered a dozen new shafts, indexed the spines, and fletched my own replacements. Now, at 80 yards, I can't shoot at the same spot without destroying the bolts.

FWIW, I wasn't going to shoot a doe on opening day of gun season last year. I had enough meat in the freezer, and was hunting for a wall hanger. I knew I had plenty of time in ML season to get a doe (since I failed to do so during archery season). When a big doe walked out into the CRP at 9:30, and she had a 6" wound across her neck, I put a round through her heart. She dressed out at 140 lb with no signs of infection.

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    My family has always called the the dispatcher who sends a Trooper or deputy out to kill it with a 9mm pistol. Then ask if we want it. Which we usually do. Free deer meat legally.
    I hit a deer and did that once back in the 90s. When the deputy arrived, the deer was in the ditch. By the time he finally killed her, she was 300 yds out in a Muddy picked corn field. That kinda sucked for both of us.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I hit a deer and did that once back in the 90s. When the deputy arrived, the deer was in the ditch. By the time he finally killed her, she was 300 yds out in a Muddy picked corn field. That kinda sucked for both of us.
    Did the same, but the deer didn't move. Broken back. Also only had 3 legs, the deputy and the guy whose house I hit the deer in front of were wondering if it had gotten broken off in the crash. But looking closer it was an old wound that had healed over long ago.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Personally I think head shots are disrespectful. They ugly the animal and have less margin of error.

Punch a hole through the lungs and the deer is down and dead quick enough.

If thats too slow by some folks clock, so be it.

Do think that claiming headshots superior for humane reasons to be a freakin joke.

If youre sniping them as a cull in a park maybe. General hunting.....i aint buyin it.

In the woods, egos get slammed sooner or later.

retyree98

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Brooklyn
    Yes, he was probably in violation of the law. I've done the same thing, and law be damned, he did the right thing.
    Doing the right thing and putting it down in print for all the world to see are two separate things. We need to keep in mind that once posted, it is forever there to be used. We also need to keep in mind that we have members who are anti gun, anti hunting and even many, who's job it is to enforce any and all laws. I can but hope it was a true accident by the hunter, and hope we all can quietly do the right thing when it needs done. This in no way means that I support breaking the law.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Doing the right thing and putting it down in print for all the world to see are two separate things. We need to keep in mind that once posted, it is forever there to be used. We also need to keep in mind that we have members who are anti gun, anti hunting and even many, who's job it is to enforce any and all laws. I can but hope it was a true accident by the hunter, and hope we all can quietly do the right thing when it needs done. This in no way means that I support breaking the law.
    Again by law people should call the Sheriff department or the law enforcement that takes care of your area, and report it. They will send out someone to take care of the wounded animal. That is the lawful way of doing this.

People you must keep your feelings in check or you could have a very bad day in court over it.

Top Bottom