• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gibsmedat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2021
    Greenwood
    Has anyone put their feeders out yet? From the migration map, it looks like they are still a state or two away.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I put 1 out and only filled it halfway. It's been pretty chilly still but April 1st has been my day to start.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I usually have multi nests in my pine trees but have yet to spot any zipping around usually fighting each other.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Not enough flowers here yet. The small bees were mobbing the crummy little flowers on our boxwood bushes this weekend. You can tell they were desperate from not eating all winter...

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    My wife looked at the migration map March 10th. 2 spottings in the south part of our county, Desoto county, MS. I boiled a quart of water and added a cup of sugar. Put 1/2 cup of the mix in 8 feeders. I dumped it out after a week and made a new batch. I'm ready to dump out the 4th batch without seeing any hummers yet.
    May 1st 2019 I answered a craigslist ad on the Desoto/Tunica county line. The person had 25 feeders in a flowerbed roughly 2 ft apart. There were a few hundred birds in that backyard. The person said they make 3 30 gallon pots of feed everyday.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Just put the feeder out yesterday. Had a good group of them last year. Hoping for the same this year. Lets see what happens.

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    I made a new batch of sugar water yesterday. Brought the feeders in last night and washed. I put 1/2 cup per 8 feeders this morning. Got the first 2 hung this morning. While bringing out the 2nd 2 there was a ruby male looking at the ones that were hung and flew away. Bringing out the 3rd pair there was a male and female looking at the feeders. I had let my pets out earlier. When I brought the last pair out one of the cats was under the feeders and a male was looking at them. My cat looked up like, what the heck is that?
    I'm sure I'll be making more sugar water per day soon. I have 10 pints size feeders.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I made a new batch of sugar water yesterday. Brought the feeders in last night and washed. I put 1/2 cup per 8 feeders this morning. Got the first 2 hung this morning. While bringing out the 2nd 2 there was a ruby male looking at the ones that were hung and flew away. Bringing out the 3rd pair there was a male and female looking at the feeders. I had let my pets out earlier. When I brought the last pair out one of the cats was under the feeders and a male was looking at them. My cat looked up like, what the heck is that?
    I'm sure I'll be making more sugar water per day soon. I have 10 pints size feeders.
    Where are you located?

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Just saw a female Ruby-Throated at the feeder!
    For the last couple days, I now have both a male and a female coming to the feeder every 30-40 minutes... so with that interval, I'm pretty sure it's just the one pair for now.

I haven't been able to watch it at dusk which is when there are normally "squabbles" as each bird tries to get one last feeding in before darkness falls.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Not sure if it was male or female but I opened the door yesterday afternoon and seen one flying off. Truth be told I heard it before I seen it. Wasn't expecting to see one as it is still pretty chilly for hummys to be around I thought.

Top Bottom