• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Not sure how many people noticed the New added Section to Indiana Code: New Sec. IC 14-22-2.9 Sec. 9.(b) in part Deer hunters can use a handgun the fires a commercially available 10mm bullet. and Sec. 9.(d) Requiring the DNR to change any necessary rule to comply with this new section.
    Looks like Indiana Deer hunters will have many exciting opportunities to hunt this Fall and for the next FIVE years with new types of rifles and handguns! Good hunting and enjoy!

Link to Digest Summary of HR1231 here: https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2016/bills/house/1231

Link to Actual language of the HR1231 Law Is here: https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2016/bills/house/1231#document-afa20d5e

Warning: Read above with care, especially the Actual Law portion. Good reading for all.

Link to definition for "Notwithstanding" is necessary for almost everyone: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/notwithstanding

Last edited:

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Glock 23!
    Looks like it! I plan to use my Glock 20 with 6" KKM match barrel. Another great feature of this part of HR1231 is that's it's both public and private land DEER hunting. The rifle part is limited to private lands only. So if I want to hunt from my tree stand in Hoosier National with my Glock 20 I am good to about 50 yards! And I won't have to lug much gear! I look forward to the Fall.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    400 CORBON FTW! That's a commercially available 10mm bullet.

Or Chris Bridges could come with his "twin Glock 40's cocked back". Well, as long as he only loaded 5 rounds in each.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    400 CORBON FTW! That's a commercially available 10mm bullet.

Or Chris Bridges could come with his "twin Glock 40's cocked back". Well, as long as he only loaded 5 rounds in each.

This part of HR1231 has NO 10 cartridge Limit like the rifle section. So, load up your magazine and extra magazines, as needed. That's what I mean by nobody noticed this change as part of the law. You can also use your 10mm on public and private lands.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    It would be great if they would allow using a 45 ACP

I believe Texas allows the .45acp.
    I was conversing with someone talking about using their 1911.

I already have a 10" 10mm barrel for my Thompson Contender.
    Since my longest shots are limited by terrain to about 75 yards I think I should be good to go with it.
    Range time this summer will tell...

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    My primary will be this:...
    Ruger_M77_30-06-1.jpg

...but I'll more than likely also carry this for extremely close range:
    Smith__Wesson_1006.jpg

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    To the OP.
    I noticed.
    Was aware before it was signed.

Glock fans are always late to the party LOL

Thanks to my NRA membership again. I got one email bill passed house & senate and a second email that Pence signed it into law; with the links posted in the OP. #1
    BTW I'm not a Glock fanboy! I tried them when Gen 1 G17 cam out and I could not shoot it worth a darn. Ignored them all these years. At NRA convention held in Indy in 2014 I took a look at a lot of vendors and guns. Two months later I bought a G17 gen 4 and found out what I was missing. Since then I have purchased three more Glocks and am very happy. My favorite cartridge is the 10mm auto. So I was pleasantly surprised by the contents of HR1231. Now I suggest anyone that wants to hunt with a G20, G29 or G30 with 10mm conversion barrel see if they can shoot as well as I can. Then they'll be ready to hunt deer with a 10mm auto. I do not recommend it if you can not shoot the 10mm auto well. good hunting and have fun with it.:)::yesway:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I believe Texas allows the .45acp.
    I was conversing with someone talking about using their 1911.
    l...
    Yes, in Texas you can use any firearm (no capacity limits) to hunt game animals, with a couple exceptions for certain birds (shotguns, 3 rounds) and no rimfires for deer, elk, antelope, bighorns.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I haven't shot a 10mm auto for some time (10 yrs?)
    Last one was a 1st edition Delta Elite my bud has.
    At a cookout/range party (private range) I launched two mags at a shoot n see at 50 yards.
    Walked down and noticed the group was off a bit (fixed sights, not set to me) but you could cover all of them with the palm of your hand.
    That was offhand.
    Not great, but not shabby IMHO.

I'm not gonna buy a 10mm. Proly get a 686 6" if anything, keep my shots to 50 yards. Have taken a few deer past that with .44 mags.
    Just don't need the boom and roar anymore.

Did shoot my cousin's 23C at Elwood CC a few yrs ago. Drilled clays at the 50 yd bank with boring repeatability (me, not him LOL). I was shooting either a 629 or SRH. Can't remember. Might have even been one of the New Model SBH's I had for a stretch.

Not a fan of .40 S&W. Not a fan of Glocks. But that combo was wicked good. If that is symptomatic of them, no wonder they sell so many!

Think a nice wheelgun is where it's at for hunting though. Iron sighted of course. But getting old sucks.
    Last deer I shot was the little 8pt with a Python. Had to look at the sights 3 times before I dropped him (50 yds facing straight away).

Last edited:
    Top Bottom