• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rtrouten

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I grew up a very sheltered life when it comes to guns. (even though my father spent 24yrs in the military?:wallbash: seems like he would have taught me more about this topic.
    Anyway, I have bought a couple hanguns in the last couple months only to find I may doubt my decisions on them. I wanted to be able to CC or OC, so my first choice was a Kel-tec 380, now I think that was to small, so I bought a Taurus 9mm 24/7, maybe to big? Am I being to picky? Plus the 9 has a very long trigger pull, can I fix that?
    What are some good handguns that you recommend, keep in mind I live on a budget. Thanks for any help.:patriot: And yes I salute my TROOPS

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    It can be a tough process because everyone is different and what works for some may not work for others. The most important thing is that you are comfortable with what you have. If you buy for you then you will be more likely to carry it, if you buy because what someone else says you may not enjoy it as much. The best thing to do is to try to find some you can shoot and get a feel for different handguns. Good luck in your decision.

I see you are in Ft. Wayne, some of us are hoping to have an meetup at a range sometime soon. I will keep you posted and hopefully you could attend. I am sure there will be several people there that would let you fire a few rounds so you can see for yourself what you might like.

As far as suggestions, I like Glock

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I was going to say just keep buying but you said you are on a budget. Try them out before you buy. You can sort out most trigger pull, fit in the hand, sight picture issues AT the gun shop. Try to shoot many guns. You'll figure it out. :thumbsup:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    LOL Thanks for the agreement, TK!

rtrouten, I am near you (Decatur) and would be glad to let you shoot what I have (.38 Taurus snubbie revolver and a P229 Sig in .40 caliber). As John said above, we may be getting together soon for a shoot and I invite you to attend, if possible, and I think you will be surprised at the many types of firearms the owners bring and will probably let you shoot.

If you want to get together sooner than anything organized on INGO, just say so here in this thread and we'll work something out.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    I have never liked any small caliber pistol, some swear by them I don't, I always carried a springfield armory 45 acp locked and cocked, but as I got older I got smaller and can not concell one quite well enough anymore, I have now switched to a s/w 38 snub nose, everyone will say it's not accurate, but consider that most street shootings are 8-10 feet and it's accurate enought:D

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    91   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    I have purchased many handguns in the past ten years, each of which I thought would be the "perfect" one for me. Of course, as I'm finding, there is no "perfect gun" for every situation, and like you I've come to doubt most of those purchases, ultimately selling most of the guns I've bought.

Finally, after spending less money on a series of less reliable pistols (which ended up costing lots more than if I'd just done this initially), I bought a Glock 19 a few months ago. I am confident in its reliability, and for me, 9mm is a good round as it's easy to practice with (i.e., cheap and available) and easy to shoot (minimal recoil in the 19), but should be reasonably effective. If it's good enough for U.S. military officers, it's good enough for me.

The only drawback is concealability. In the winter, the G19 is very concealable and comfortable in a paddle holster. In the summer, I'm less confident that it will be adequately concealed this way, with a lighter shirt hanging over it. Therefore, in the summer I do pocket carry a Kahr PM9 (and may carry a S&W 442 this next season). Both of these are relatively expensive...but I was never happy with my Taurus Millennium, Beretta Tomcat, Bersa Thunder, Makarov, etc., as I just never trusted them as much as I trust a revolver or my Kahr (zero failures to date).

I'm not all that experienced and I'm sure many on this forum have differing opinions...just my :twocents:

ar15junkie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Behind enemy lines
    Am I being to picky?

its a personal choice really. There is a reason that 100s of different guns are on the market today. You'll feel that some are too heavy, too skinny, too plastic, too ugly, too short, too snappy, etc. Everybody has a different opinion about what is a perfect gun. If you're really looking for just 1 gun to serve the purpose of CC and OC I would suggest you find something in a midsize frame.

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    91   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    If you're really looking for just 1 gun to serve the purpose of CC and OC I would suggest you find something in a midsize frame.

Gotta agree with that. If I could only keep one of my firearms, it would be the G19...I'd rather try to conceal that while out and about than have nothing bigger than my Kahr for home defense.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Budget a small portion of your income towards shooting sports. Put a few bucks in an envelope for ammo and a few in an evelope for guns. Meanwhile do research; read up on guns, go to gunshops and fondle guns, get with buddies who will let you shoot their guns. Take your time researching and deciding while your money slowly piles up. Be willing to buy used and don't get in a hurry.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I would sell both of those if you don't have a few hundred buck to blow, otherwise just go buy a Glock 26 or 19. I CC and OC the 19 everyday without issues at all.

As far as the .38sp snubby, this is my wife's primary. I would says its not accurate, I would just say that it is not a target gun, its a point and shoot, it is very good for what its intended use is.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Everyone is different when it comes to finding a handgun that 'fits' them. The advice, listed above, to try out several different make's and model's is wise as there are many out there out there.

Before you spend any more money, I would suggest that you identify 3 things:
    1. What are your needs? (i.e., what is your purpose in carrying)
    2. What is comfortable for you? (Revolver? Semi-Auto? Which do you like better?)
    3. How much are you prepared to spend? (Remember, you get what you pay for, so spending a few dollars more to get quality is important.)

Some people have several different guns and carry the one that best fits their needs that day. I have a Glock 32 for the winter months, when it's easier to conceal and carry in different manners. For the summer, I have a new Ruger LCR in .38+P which fits in my shorts side pocket (my wife carries this sometimes herself). My favorite is my SP101 in .357 mag. with a Badger Grip and front Meprolight Night Sight.

If needed, sometimes, you can modifiy the gun to better fit your needs. Keep your options open and spend some time looking around. I live in New Haven so if you want to see / feel my guns, let me know and we'll hook up.

Last edited:

Steady Glock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    I grew up a very sheltered life when it comes to guns. (even though my father spent 24yrs in the military?:wallbash: seems like he would have taught me more about this topic.
    Anyway, I have bought a couple hanguns in the last couple months only to find I may doubt my decisions on them. I wanted to be able to CC or OC, so my first choice was a Kel-tec 380, now I think that was to small, so I bought a Taurus 9mm 24/7, maybe to big? Am I being to picky? Plus the 9 has a very long trigger pull, can I fix that?
    What are some good handguns that you recommend, keep in mind I live on a budget. Thanks for any help.:patriot: And yes I salute my TROOPS

Glock, Glock, Glock. Just do it, man.....it's EXACTLY what your father would do if he were in your shoes (just like most of the military service men and women around the planet.) Take the plunge. You won't be sorry.

Top Bottom