How to make a date at the range fun/memorable?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • futurefrogman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 3, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Any input from the ladies or any guys who have been in the same spot is appreciated. My girlfriend used to be pretty timid about guns in general, but she is warming up to the idea and wants to go shooting with me now :rockwoot:. I would like to make the experience enjoyable for her and not just make it a trip to the range (a friend's farm). Any ideas about some extra steps I could take that she may appreciate? I initially thought of printing out huge pictures of things she doesn't like to shoot at. Just wondering if anyone else has any other nice ideas. Thanks!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If she's new to the game - remember that.

Start her out on low-recoil stuff.

Only move upwards if she wants to. Don't give her a hard time if she shoots a 9mm once and doesn't want to any more.

First few shots of "up" caliber stuff - only load 1 round at a time for the first few times.

Don't preach at her about safety rules. Always be on guard to help gently point the muzzles down range should they wander.

If you're indoors, be sure that she (and you, too) have in-ear plugs AND over-ear muffs. And eye pro. Yes, you'll look like a dork. Good thing is, though, she will too.

If you can at all help it, if you do go to an indoor range, try to arrive when there are few other people there. A lot of gun shots in a small enclosed space is bad enough when you're "used to it" - let alone if it's your first experience.

Que in on her - don't keep going if she's fatigued or disinterested. Yeah - you may "waste" range time money by leaving early, but you're on a date with her.

Printing your own targets may or may not work. SOME ranges don't allow "people" targets at all. If she hates iPhones, however - print away and blast away. LOL

-J-

futurefrogman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 3, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    If she's new to the game - remember that.

First few shots of "up" caliber stuff - only load 1 round at a time for the first few times.

Don't preach at her about safety rules. Always be on guard to help gently point the muzzles down range should they wander.

If you're indoors, be sure that she (and you, too) have in-ear plugs AND over-ear muffs. And eye pro. Yes, you'll look like a dork. Good thing is, though, she will too.

If you can at all help it, if you do go to an indoor range, try to arrive when there are few other people there. A lot of gun shots in a small enclosed space is bad enough when you're "used to it" - let alone if it's your first experience.

-J-

Those were especially helpful, thanks! I'll definitely have to get a picture of us like that too, haha!

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Since you are shooting at a friends farm, get some reactive targets. It's much more fun for a first time shooter to see the target move, explode, ring, shatter, etc. than it is to just punch holes in paper.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Reactionary targets are fun and give instant feedback. Clay pigeons are good for this. They're cheap, easily broken, and can be shot at closer range than steel. They are also biodegradable, which means less to clean up.

futurefrogman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 3, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Since you are shooting at a friends farm, get some reactive targets. It's much more fun for a first time shooter to see the target move, explode, ring, shatter, etc. than it is to just punch holes in paper.

That sounds like a great idea! Do you know of any way to easily make an explosive target that will react with a .380? If I remember correctly, tannerite requires a higher initiation energy than a .380 has to offer.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Reactive targets are good for immediate feedback.

i agree with the suggestion to keep recoil low. 4 rules at the beginning and the gentle reminders as violations occur. Finger on trigger and muzzle direction will likely be common at first. Just correct and move on.

Don't worry about accuracy right now unless she specifically asks for guidance.

Focus on creating a sense of accomplishment when the day is done.

And dont stay stay out there too long. Newbs don't enjoy long hours.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Mr. Habib's suggestion is as good as any - the cheap orange Wal-Mart clay targets shatter pretty well when hit by anything. Shake up a couple of soda cans and put them out; they'll do the trick. I've got a "jack" target from Bobcat steel that jumps around when hit; you're welcome to borrow it if you're close. If not, they sell a cheap version at Gander that will survive a few range sessions.

futurefrogman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 3, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Mr. Habib's suggestion is as good as any - the cheap orange Wal-Mart clay targets shatter pretty well when hit by anything. Shake up a couple of soda cans and put them out; they'll do the trick. I've got a "jack" target from Bobcat steel that jumps around when hit; you're welcome to borrow it if you're close. If not, they sell a cheap version at Gander that will survive a few range sessions.

Soda cans would be perfect, can't believe I didn't think of that! I've used golf balls before and those were lots of fun, especially when you hit them just right so that they get driven multiple yards out. :popcorn: Figured those would probable be too hard for her to hit though.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My wife enjoys "shoot-n-see" targets set at about 10-15 FEET with a .22 pistol. Hits are obvious. Anything on the 8" diameter target is a "good hit" (no need for bulls-eye accuracy). The gun is quiet and very manageable. Once she gets in a rhythm, she empties the mags as fast as I can fill them!

5-6 mags later (50-60 rounds), and a couple of trashed targets, and she has a nice grin.

So, I'll echo all the advice up-thread. For a lot of newbs (occasional/recreational shooters), it is more about the experience than about developing skills. Make it fun, low intensity, and safe, and they will be back for more later.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I think everyone pretty much covered the shooting part. If I take my girlfriend shooting in the winter (which is rare because she hates the cold) I would do the following:

1. Make sure she dresses warmer than she thinks she will need. Insulated overalls and whatnot. Hand warmers are good.
    2. I take a folding chair or similar. Being able to sit down while you reload a magazine or take a break makes it more comfortable.
    3. If possible, shoot close to the house so you can go in and take breaks, warm up, use the bathroom (your girl might not mind doing her business in the cold woods but mine doesn't like facilities without plumbing and heat), etc.
    4. Pre load magazins so there is less down time at the beginning and you can get down to business.
    5. Bring a buddy who's a competent teacher to show her the basics. (He always gets less backtalk and it sounds more authoritative if I'm not the one saying it.)
    6. Pay lots of attention to her and don't get caught up in your own shooting. Remember, you're there for her. (But if she's my girlfriend, don't watch too closely while she's shooting because that makes her nervous.)
    7. Tell her she's awesome and kiss her on the face. Chicks dig that sort of thing.

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Soda cans would be perfect, can't believe I didn't think of that! I've used golf balls before and those were lots of fun, especially when you hit them just right so that they get driven multiple yards out. :popcorn: Figured those would probable be too hard for her to hit though.

Gallon milk jugs filled about 3/4 full of water can be fun too. Way back when a local range allowed that kind of target material, we shot at a milk jug and it launched 20ft in the air and up over the backstop. Pure awesomesauce.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Don't forget to take a picture of her or her and you at the range with the guns and a smile. Give her something to remember the day.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    And have her put the target on the fridge. Or your fridge would be even better. "See, honey, I'm so proud of you, I'm hanging your masterpiece on the fridge." No kidding. Mr88GT did that when we were dating and it was always one of those "awwww" moments when I saw it on his fridge.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    To echo a point Jackson made (as it applies to my wife)...Don't be surprised if she gets her fill rather quickly. My wife likes to come out and shoot with the boys and I on occasion but a little dab goes a long way some days. I'd tend to let her do most of the shooting and just be there as a cheerleader and coach.

clemracer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Keep it low key - keep encouraging her. Keep an eye on her - make sure she isn't getting tired. Take her out for a nice meal afterwards. Compliment her on how well she caught on.

Top Bottom