• ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Excerpt from official transcripts of the investigation:

Drone guy: Sir, we've got something.

Drone guy boss: What is it, Space Command Lance Private 4th class - Junior Grade *redacted*?

Drone guy: It's *redacted* with an "e" on the end, Sir. Common mistake. It appears to be...a partially shaved circus bear practicing? But with some sort of duck/hobbit hybrid feet?

Drone guy boss: Zoom in and enhance, Space Command Lance Private 4th class - Junior Grade *redacted*e. Enhance. Enhance.

Drone guy: It's...this can't be...it's...human.

*wretching sounds*
    *Drone guy boss comes around console and looks at screen*
    *more wretching sounds*
    *gun shots*
    *sounds of an electrical fire*

End Transcript

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I read some of the SAS, SBS, Seal, Delta reports (redacted, of course) about experiences they have.

One of my favorites was the SAS guys in (or around) Afghanistan on overwatch, the spotter felt a tug on his leg and a wolf had come through the trip wires and was trying to drag him off!
    Apparently, that was one hungry wolf.

The rules will pretty much be the same,
    1. Camouflage, Cover & Concealment,
    2. Movement, Sound & Light Discipline.
    3. Infrared Concealment should the opposition have thermal night vision instead of light amplification.

Concealment can be anything from cloth to leaves, but that doesn't stop bullets.
    Cover is something that will stop bullets.

Smell wouldn't be an issue with drones, but dealing with ground patrols you most certainly need to consider how you & surrounding smell.

I dropped a nugget a little while back,
    English Ivy has wax covered leaves, blocks thermal like the best synthetic thermal cammo, maybe better...
    That crap grows anywhere and takes off like a rocket where ever it takes root, spent an entire summer battling it...

US made cammo nets also have thermal protection properties.
    Even as far back as I was in the military, our extreme cold & jungle operational cloths had some thermal detection blocker properties.
    Another reason that surplus stuff might come in handy.

Everyone wants to 'Bunker', bury their stuff & living quarters...
    With thermal the ground temp will give you away, shows right up on thermal night vision.
    That's how a lot of pot grows get detected, the heat from bodies & lights give things away.

If you were underground (dug in) then do it under a building, concrete slab, or plant ground cover that blocks thermal.

Its not well known, but US forces shot hay stacks with rockets & 30mm cannons.
    The hay produces heat spontaneously as it rots, and our forces mistaked that for enemy bodies hiding in the stacks.
    Even goats need winter forrage...

BAgun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2021
    Bluffton
    I would imagine drones have a thingy to pick up heat signatures. So even camaflauged and at night won't help. Going to have to break out the aluminum foil and even that will only work for a short time before it heats up. Going to be a real pain ain't it.
    That's what wasn't making any sense. Most drones and attack aircraft pilots or drone pilots are equipped with IR. If you're out at night you're going to stick out like a sore thumb unless you're a reptile.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    I watched a YouTube vid on using a mylar blanket to cover your heat sig. guy had a IR drone and a night scope for a rifle that was unable to pick out the person under the blanket. Of course as it heats up all bets are off. They suggested using it in such a way to keep an air gap between you and the blanket. They also covered the shinny mylar with a cheap camo tarp to aid in blending in. Interesting to see what works and what doesn’t.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    And that's the point of the linked video :dunno:
    Many things seem obvious to you when instructed directly. But, in the woods while concentrating on other things as well? Not so obvious...

Again, I especially enjoyed the "hidden" Marine platoon, that didn't cover their ingress/egress tracks.
    You may not be able to see anything showing their current location. But you damn sure can see that a bunch of people were there, and warrants investigation.

Even something as simple as parking your vehicles on the opposite side of the road or wall to minimize overhead detection are valuable.
    Know your enemy and their capabilities.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Hey I have some questions if you don't mind PMing me. Thanks
    You can't use the PM system until you get 50 quality posts or become a site supporter.

Ask your questions in the open, or become a site supporter or get your 50 posts first.

Dude, I've told you this several times now. Seriously. Are you not reading?

Top Bottom