• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Can we get a synopsis?
    Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 12.14.20 PM.png

But the video has some really good examples of what to do and what NOT to do when it comes to aerial detection.
    I especially enjoyed the "hidden" Marine platoon, that didn't cover their ingress/egress tracks.

Feel free to drop the quality down, as the real meat is audio. In fact, quite a few of their other "videos" are audio only.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Anyone remember the book from the late 1980s or early 1990s titled something like "David and Goliath"? It was all about fighting an asymmetrical war and tactics for fighting tanks, helicopters, etc.

I vaguely remember one tactic of using a bow & arrow to launch a rope over the blades of a helicopter, entangling them in the process.

For entertainment purposes only of course.

<-----1980s kid who read SOF.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I've just recently discovered this site. This guy has videos on a variety of tops relating to both sides of "insurgency operations." The videos are also on "odysee.com" in case YT decides to take his videos down.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I vaguely remember one tactic of using a bow & arrow to launch a rope over the blades of a helicopter, entangling them in the process.

I'm going to throw the BS flag on this one. IIRC, military helicopter blades can cut through wrist thick branches and foilage without crippling the chopper, and you'd have to be a hell of a shot to get a rope through the blade arc of a moving chopper.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Anyone remember the book from the late 1980s or early 1990s titled something like "David and Goliath"? It was all about fighting an asymmetrical war and tactics for fighting tanks, helicopters, etc.

For entertainment purposes only of course.

<-----1980s kid who read SOF.

I recall that as well, also a kid who had an SOF subscription.

Not rope, cable, and not bow & arrow. IIRC they were launching more of a harpoon with cable attached, across a valley as the Soviet helicopters were flying through.

Could have been an urban legend or disinformation to throw the soviets off the scent of stingers, I guess.

Last edited:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    You'd have to use a cable, tie it to something substantial, and be _extremely_ lucky to get the cable between the top wire strike protection cutter and the rotor hub. If the cable didn't break, it might crush or dislodge the helicopter rotor control links - which WOULD cause the helicopter to crash.

That would be _possible_, but highly unlikely.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You'd have to use a cable, tie it to something substantial, and be _extremely_ lucky to get the cable between the top wire strike protection cutter and the rotor hub. If the cable didn't break, it might crush or dislodge the helicopter rotor control links - which WOULD cause the helicopter to crash.

That would be _possible_, but highly unlikely.
    And more likely to just get the crew's attention, and probably induce some extra vibrations that would cause them to lean toward returning to base if they didnt haven something mission critical to complete. E.g. dissuade a regular patrol with nothing better to do...

But then again, somebody firing a cable up at you to try to crash you/kill you would probably shift the mission pretty fast. They would probably leave, but other gunships with fully functional rotors would soon appear to replace them. So if thats you, fire and then un-ass your position, post-haste.

And after all that, remember we arent talking about Cobras, Blackhawks, and Apaches. The OP is about drones. So I think we may have strayed from the original intent. But then again, you can probably hit the rotor profile of one of those. Hitting the super tiny rotor profile of a drone with a bow/arrow/line? Good luck with that. :lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I'm going to throw the BS flag on this one. IIRC, military helicopter blades can cut through wrist thick branches and foilage without crippling the chopper, and you'd have to be a hell of a shot to get a rope through the blade arc of a moving chopper.

Not to mention the impossibility of shooting an arrow a few hundred feet nearly straight up with a rope hooked to it.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I would imagine drones have a thingy to pick up heat signatures. So even camaflauged and at night won't help. Going to have to break out the aluminum foil and even that will only work for a short time before it heats up. Going to be a real pain ain't it.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    And more likely to just get the crew's attention, and probably induce some extra vibrations that would cause them to lean toward returning to base if they didnt haven something mission critical to complete. E.g. dissuade a regular patrol with nothing better to do...

But then again, somebody firing a cable up at you to try to crash you/kill you would probably shift the mission pretty fast. They would probably leave, but other gunships with fully functional rotors would soon appear to replace them. So if thats you, fire and then un-ass your position, post-haste.

And after all that, remember we arent talking about Cobras, Blackhawks, and Apaches. The OP is about drones. So I think we may have strayed from the original intent. But then again, you can probably hit the rotor profile of one of those. Hitting the super tiny rotor profile of a drone with a bow/arrow/line? Good luck with that. :lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:
    Same is true of hitting that tiny gap between the WSPS (Wire Strike Protection System) on the Black Hawk or the Apache. Cobras or Kiowas have the WSPS, but their rotor masts and control links are much more exposed. OTOH, unless you're operating from an altitude about level with their altitude, getting the cable through that gap is going to be miraculous - and is likely to get you shot at.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I can't imagine why anybody with a drone, let alone a helicopter would be interested in my home. :dunno:

Top Bottom