• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • user11230706

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2024
    Northern Indiana
    I'm planning on purchasing a full-sized Smith and Wesson M&P M2.0 pistol. It will be my first pistol (I've tried it at the range and liked it), but I'm wondering how to get a good deal on it. I spoke to my local gun shop and they said they could give it to me for $600, which is better than what I saw online (online had $600 as well, but after shipping to an FFL and the $40 fee, it would make it more expensive).

I was looking back at some older threads and saw someone mention a Black Friday sale (just this past year) where they got an M&P for $500. Now, I don't remember/know if they were referring to the exact same handgun (maybe it was the shield?), but it got me wondering about sales and deals.

Do people have suggestions on how to get good deals on new firearms? (This being my first pistol I want to get it new. I'll consider "used" in the future.) Is it worth waiting or just "pull the trigger" and get it for the $600 I've been offered?

10mm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2024
    Greencastle

Search for the SKU, upc, etc #'s

No matter where you buy it, it's good to know what a good price is.
    Came to suggest this. Remember to factor in tax and transfer fee when you buy online though. It could be only a few dollars difference to support local guys. Often I've found it's much cheaper to go this route though.

user11230706

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2024
    Northern Indiana
    Came to suggest this. Remember to factor in tax and transfer fee when you buy online though. It could be only a few dollars difference to support local guys. Often I've found it's much cheaper to go this route though.
    That's what I'm seeing. Maybe $15 savings to get from somewhere online, but might be worth supporting my local dealer instead.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    That's what I'm seeing. Maybe $15 savings to get from somewhere online, but might be worth supporting my local dealer instead.
    I'm assuming you're going to train with your new weapon. In which case it will mean burning through ammo and $$.
    Why sweat a few bucks in the initial purchase? In the long run it will be inconsequential.
    If cash is tight, why not find a good used pistol, that's been loosened up with a break in period?

penguinship

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2020
    Bloomington
    What would you say is a more typical transfer fee?
    I'm not in your area, but I would think that you should be able to find something in the 15-20 range, which I'd expect to be a kitchen table FFL (vs a store). I know GunBroker has a list, you might be able find others elsewhere.

Not sure what site you're looking at for the gun itself, but there are some that don't charge sales tax. You might also consider waiting a few weeks/months for a good deal to pop up.

penguinship

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2020
    Bloomington

user11230706

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2024
    Northern Indiana
    I'm assuming you're going to train with your new weapon. In which case it will mean burning through ammo and $$.
    Why sweat a few bucks in the initial purchase? In the long run it will be inconsequential.
    Yes, I will be burning through ammo and money. Really, my question is more about trying to make sure I don't overpay. Whatever money I save would probably go towards ammo.

If cash is tight, why not find a good used pistol, that's been loosened up with a break in period?
    Do pistols have a break-in period? Remember, this will be my first pistol.

user11230706

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2024
    Northern Indiana
    Not sure if this is what exactly what you're looking for, but it's 480 + 20 shipped

Not sure why the link says used, doesn't mention it in the description. Might be worth double checking if you're actually interested
    Assuming the photo is accurate, that looks to be the older version of the 2.0. The newer version has a flat-faced trigger. But I will search that site and see if they have the one I am looking for. Thanks for sharing.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'm planning on purchasing a full-sized Smith and Wesson M&P M2.0 pistol. It will be my first pistol (I've tried it at the range and liked it), but I'm wondering how to get a good deal on it. I spoke to my local gun shop and they said they could give it to me for $600, which is better than what I saw online (online had $600 as well, but after shipping to an FFL and the $40 fee, it would make it more expensive).

I was looking back at some older threads and saw someone mention a Black Friday sale (just this past year) where they got an M&P for $500. Now, I don't remember/know if they were referring to the exact same handgun (maybe it was the shield?), but it got me wondering about sales and deals.

Do people have suggestions on how to get good deals on new firearms? (This being my first pistol I want to get it new. I'll consider "used" in the future.) Is it worth waiting or just "pull the trigger" and get it for the $600 I've been offered?
    Best time to buy is around holidays. However, with this being an election year and the chances of getting Democrat's control of both houses and white house it might be wise to buy sooner than later. I expect there to be a rush on firearms and ammunition as usual on election years. Especially this coming one.

Is this the one you are looking for?

I'll keep my eye out for you just let me know which one you want. I post in the Gun deals thread usually. Keep an eye on that thread.

user11230706

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2024
    Northern Indiana
    Best time to buy is around holidays. However, with this being an election year and the chances of getting Democrat's control of both houses and white house it might be wise to buy sooner than later. I expect there to be a rush on firearms and ammunition as usual on election years. Especially this coming one.
    I have heard that election years might not be the best time to buy, but I guess it's better later than never, right?
    Yeah, that's the one. SW's site lists it for much higher than my local dealer said they could get it ($600), but I assume that's common (like cars).
    I'll keep my eye out for you just let me know which one you want. I post in the Gun deals thread usually. Keep an eye on that thread.
    I didn't know about that thread--thanks for pointing it out. I'll be sure to pop in there occasionally to see what people are sharing.

But overall, in your opinion, should I take a month or two to keep an eye on deals or should I take the offer I have and start getting in some range time?

Top Bottom