• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, I got nothing. Commenting on biases doesn't translate to "conservative whack jobs." Nevermind the fact that I've never even used the phrase, other than to ask where it is used by myself.

Kut (says so)

So - you admit you HAVE used the phrase?

Prosecution rests.

;)

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I think the question is. If the situation is dire as in it is without rule of law, and the cops aren't coming or coming fast enough and it is total chaos out there, we need to look to ourselves and determine do we have the will to use our weapons against rioters, looters, hostile mob if they are coming our way.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I've spoken to kids from headstart, through K-12 in the IPS system since I was a Jr in college til now. My mother ran the St Peter's Headstart at 10th/Temple (now in administration) and my pop helped get the aviation ROTC program started at the old Washington HS (before it closed) and then at Arsenal Tech.
    And while there is some truth to what you are saying, it does not apply to the "vast majority."
    Let me put it this way. If teachers are too scared to control their classrooms, then they shouldn't be teaching. That goes with any occupation. If you're scared, you won't ever be successful nor even do a adequate job. Lots of these kids indeed need a firm hand. My pop had no issue kicking a kid out of his program, my mom (all 5'2 of her) had no issue meeting with parents at their homes, I've got a smarter mouth than a 11th grader. Teachers should ask themselves if they're in it for a paycheck, or because they enjoy it and want to make a difference. I assure you the latter will be the more successful.

Kut: I know you weren't specifically referring to my wife here, but I have to admit that it got my hackles up, and I had to wait a couple of hours before replying.

1) "If teachers are too scared to control their classrooms, then they shouldn't be teaching."

Wow. Who said anything about scared, but then again, who wouldn't be when 5th graders are showing up with knives, and then proceed to trash an entire classroom by throwing chairs, desks, books, etc. This happened last year at my wife's school where the classroom had to be evacuated while the student trashed the classroom. By the time the cops got there, the room was demolished. The kid was back in class 2 weeks later.

2) " Lots of these kids indeed need a firm hand."

When was the last time you were in a classroom in IPS? My wife was stern with one of her students who was totally out of control and sent her to the principal's office. Two days later, my wife was called into a meeting with the kid's mother and the principal to answer to racist accusations and the mistreating of the child. Seriously? She never touched her. The parent was so quick to rush to the discrimination card without looking at the behavior of her own child because is much easier to blame someone else than admit your child is a brat. The child had a meltdown, ran out of the classroom down the hall while my wife was trying to manage 29 other kids. Yes, she had 30 kindergarten kids to deal with at one time. Have you ever dealt with 30 kindergarten kids at once that have no respect for authority? They know they can get away with it because you can't touch these kids any more, and heaven forbid you are stern with them, because you must be racist.

3) "my mom (all 5'2 of her) had no issue meeting with parents at their homes"

My point was "why should she have to?" The parents have no skin in the game, and my wife has to work a full day, then she has to go out at night and visit 25 kids households because only 5 of the parents cared enough about their kids to show up for the parent/teacher conference? Some of these neighborhoods are tough, and no woman has any business being out there alone at night much less someone who does not know the neighborhood and sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm sorry, but this is just wrong, and it has nothing to do with what your mother would do, my wife did it too.

4) "Teachers should ask themselves if they're in it for a paycheck, or because they enjoy it and want to make a difference."

This is the one that really set me off. My wife has given 30 years of her life to these kids because she loves them and cares about them. She is often the only source of demonstrative love that they receive. She sits in her chair and the kids are all over her hugging her and loving back on her. She does this because she loves it, and to insinuate otherwise is an insult. She spends almost every evening working at home on fun projects for the kids, and spends tons of money out of our own pocket buying them supplies and treats that the school cannot afford to buy. She calls the kids "Her Angels", and I always have to remind her that in reality, she is "Their Angel". My wife grew up in Carmel, went to school at Purdue, and had her choice of school districts to teach in and she CHOSE IPS because she wanted to make a difference in these kid's lives, and believe me, she does. Two years ago, she was "Teacher of the Year", and now she is coaching other teachers at 5 schools in IPS on how to deal with classroom management and teaching the kids to read before grade 3 ("Read by Three" - Orton Gillingham). I guarantee she is NOT in it for the money and never has been.

My wife is a teacher and it's no longer an issue of being "too scared to control their classroom" but the administration WILL NOT ALLOW THEM TOO! If they send a kid to the office they'll be back in class within the hour. If you send them too many times you'll be told to STOP SENDING THEM SO MUCH! She teaches elementary and she has one kid last year that constantly crapped in his pants and wouldn't tell anyone. And the only reason was to tick teachers off. He's do this in class, lunch room, gym it didn't matter. And this went on for MONTHS! All of teachers got an email last year at the end of the school year that they were sending to many kids to the office and they would pass lasts years total sent to the office so they were to "curtail" the use of that as a discipline. They'll get emails that says one of the principles will be gone for the day so don't send kids to the office until tomorrow!

THIS is why we can't get teachers in city schools! My wife has had several friends stop teaching and take other lower paying jobs because they got tired of putting up with it! Teachers are in it because they either love the children (like my wife) or can't do anything else and get paid the same with 2 months vacation plus benefits!

^^^^This^^^^

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I think the question is. If the situation is dire as in it is without rule of law, and the cops aren't coming or coming fast enough and it is total chaos out there, we need to look to ourselves and determine do we have the will to use our weapons against rioters, looters, hostile mob if they are coming our way.

Sure, totally get that. Just remember that unlike the movie "The Purge", what you do will be reconciled with the law once the law does show up.

Thanks for an attempt to recover from thread drift.

29053155475_2d00e10ddc_o.jpg

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Doublehelix: My wife is also a teacher. She has a self contained classroom with downs, autism and behavioral issues in a k-4 classroom. She has steadily watched the parental influence decrease while her hours increase. Teachers are contracted for a certain amount of days but they are expected to be there for other days for personal development and will put in much longer hours. When IEP season rolls around, It's not uncommon for her to stay friday night, working from 6am that morning until 7-8am Saturday morning trying to get the paperwork filled out, reports sent and beahviors documented to the state's requirements for each child.

So yeah, I think trying to blame teachers because they don't act like teachers of 20 years ago is asanine.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Kut: I know you weren't specifically referring to my wife here, but I have to admit that it got my hackles up, and I had to wait a couple of hours before replying.

1) "If teachers are too scared to control their classrooms, then they shouldn't be teaching."

Wow. Who said anything about scared, but then again, who wouldn't be when 5th graders are showing up with knives, and then proceed to trash an entire classroom by throwing chairs, desks, books, etc. This happened last year at my wife's school where the classroom had to be evacuated while the student trashed the classroom. By the time the cops got there, the room was demolished. The kid was back in class 2 weeks later.

2) " Lots of these kids indeed need a firm hand."

When was the last time you were in a classroom in IPS? My wife was stern with one of her students who was totally out of control and sent her to the principal's office. Two days later, my wife was called into a meeting with the kid's mother and the principal to answer to racist accusations and the mistreating of the child. Seriously? She never touched her. The parent was so quick to rush to the discrimination card without looking at the behavior of her own child because is much easier to blame someone else than admit your child is a brat. The child had a meltdown, ran out of the classroom down the hall while my wife was trying to manage 29 other kids. Yes, she had 30 kindergarten kids to deal with at one time. Have you ever dealt with 30 kindergarten kids at once that have no respect for authority? They know they can get away with it because you can't touch these kids any more, and heaven forbid you are stern with them, because you must be racist.

3) "my mom (all 5'2 of her) had no issue meeting with parents at their homes"

My point was "why should she have to?" The parents have no skin in the game, and my wife has to work a full day, then she has to go out at night and visit 25 kids households because only 5 of the parents cared enough about their kids to show up for the parent/teacher conference? Some of these neighborhoods are tough, and no woman has any business being out there alone at night much less someone who does not know the neighborhood and sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm sorry, but this is just wrong, and it has nothing to do with what your mother would do, my wife did it too.

4) "Teachers should ask themselves if they're in it for a paycheck, or because they enjoy it and want to make a difference."

This is the one that really set me off. My wife has given 30 years of her life to these kids because she loves them and cares about them. She is often the only source of demonstrative love that they receive. She sits in her chair and the kids are all over her hugging her and loving back on her. She does this because she loves it, and to insinuate otherwise is an insult. She spends almost every evening working at home on fun projects for the kids, and spends tons of money out of our own pocket buying them supplies and treats that the school cannot afford to buy. She calls the kids "Her Angels", and I always have to remind her that in reality, she is "Their Angel". My wife grew up in Carmel, went to school at Purdue, and had her choice of school districts to teach in and she CHOSE IPS because she wanted to make a difference in these kid's lives, and believe me, she does. Two years ago, she was "Teacher of the Year", and now she is coaching other teachers at 5 schools in IPS on how to deal with classroom management and teaching the kids to read before grade 3 ("Read by Three" - Orton Gillingham). I guarantee she is NOT in it for the money and never has been.

^^^^This^^^^

Oh, I'm sorry it came off that way. Obviously, I don't know your wife so in her regards I can't comment. Im speaking of people I've dealt with personally over the years.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Kut, I think you are a little misled by how many hours teachers are already putting in now in comparison to even 10 years ago. the old days of showing up 10 minutes before the kids and leaving 10 minutes after are long gone and most are putting in weekend hours as well. Teachers just don't have the [hysical time in the day to try and meet with parents at their house every week. As it is, my wife spends 2 hours each evening on the phone with her kids parents explaining hte day etc. Most could care less.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Oh, I'm sorry it came off that way. Obviously, I don't know your wife so in her regards I can't comment. Im speaking of people I've dealt with personally over the years.

No worries, thanks for clarifying. It is a sore subject for me because she gives her life, heart and soul to those kids that she loves so much. Sorry if I was testy...

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    My aunt has very good kids and very good parents, and she starts about a quarter after seven in the morning, comes home, and does school work, often until 10 or 11 at night, largely due to the 'no child left behind' stupidity spawning the pressure to teach to the tests. I couldn't imagine what it would be like with the situation a teacher more often encounters. Then again, my uncle teaches welding and has had to deal with being threatened with physical violence by students. It hasn't happened yet, but my guess is that it's only a matter of time.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Now that I have been thinking about this since the thread was first posted, I do have a solution for rioters: A bucket of fuel and a match.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    iSeekLight
    Top Bottom