• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Often folks get suckered into feeling guilty that they have something, when those that refuse to help themselves don't.

It's a shame that we enable folks to prey on others. As much a shame that we are raising generations of youth to believe that they are helping, when they are actually contributing to poor mental health and potential threats among our society.

You mean, like our mayor?

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I really need to take "managing unknown contacts".

I spent several years living in Bloomington about a block from the Kroger on second and walnut. I dealt with lots of panhandlers.

My preferred method became locking eyes and giving them a good, forceful "NO" when they start their speel. I make it clear that the sales pitch is over, it failed and i do not care about hurting feelings or looking like a jerk in public. I never had anyone push it past that.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I really need to take "managing unknown contacts".

I spent several years living in Bloomington about a block from the Kroger on second and walnut. I dealt with lots of panhandlers.

My preferred method became locking eyes and giving them a good, forceful "NO" when they start their speel. I make it clear that the sales pitch is over, it failed and i do not care about hurting feelings or looking like a jerk in public. I never had anyone push it past that.
    Some people look on kindness as weakness. Eye contact and a strong response will work for most but there are times what Coach would call being
    "tactically rude" is required and usually effective.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    As a matter of fact, I was dealing with a lot of this when I took mindset labs intro to force on force.

I told Shae that I was dealing with lots of panhandlers and homeless because of my neighborhood.

He strongly suggested that I sell my house and move somewhere that I was less like to be attacked by a drug addict/psycho.

I initially dismissed his suggestion because I had sunk labor and money into that house and had hopes and dreams. I eventually realized that he was right and sold that house and moved west to the mountains.

Waaay fewer panhandlers in the mountains.

Shae was right!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    As a matter of fact, I was dealing with a lot of this when I took mindset labs intro to force on force.

I told Shae that I was dealing with lots of panhandlers and homeless because of my neighborhood.

He strongly suggested that I sell my house and move somewhere that I was less like to be attacked by a drug addict/psycho.

I initially dismissed his suggestion because I had sunk labor and money into that house and had hopes and dreams. I eventually realized that he was right and sold that house and moved west to the mountains.

Waaay fewer panhandlers in the mountains.

Shae was right!
    They don't call that Kroger, "Krogetto" for nothing.

crosse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2015
    PNW
    If someone tries to forcibly get in my vehicle after I told them not to then they get pepper spray. It's basically kidnapping.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I say this with all the certainty of a keyboard warrior....
    I would probably tase anyone hanging in my truck windows as I'm trying to leave, especially if anyone other than me is in the truck. I don't think lethal force would be justified, unless they presented some kind of deadly weapon. But a strong leave me alone would be warranted given someone physically restraining you like that.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You mean, like our mayor?

Yes!

Or the Indy mayor, Fort Wayne mayor, Chicago mayor, LA mayor, etc, etc, etc...

The same larger lib run cities that have huge problems with repeat offenders walking freely are the one's with “people without housing,” out of control.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Shae was right!

Smart man!

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    This. What you are talking about is the technique called "Ask, Tell, Make."

Ask them to go away politely. "no thanks, I cant help you."
    Tell them firmly to GTFO. " I SAID I CANT HELP YOU! Move along NOW!"
    MAKE them GTFO. (do what is necessary to stop the threat)

But I like OP's method too. Its not stupid if it works. :D
    Worked like a charm, although made a few others jump in the process lol.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    It's my understanding that when you are occupying your vehicle it is considered the same as your residence. Someone please correct me if that isn't the case.. I think we all know what options are available if someone is trying to enter your home through an open window.
    That is the case here.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Many years ago I was approached several times in a month by people asking for gas money. I presumed it was a scam and said "no."

However, I started to feel a little guilty. What if I were in deep doodoo and needed help?

So I modified my answer. For anyone that asks for "gas" money I'll buy them them gasoline. I'll meet them at the gas station and put $20 (or whatever) in their tank. Made that offer to several people. One walked off. One called me a bad name. One agreed, I drove to the gas station and he must have gotten lost because he never showed.

I can honestly feel I've done my Christian/civic/social duty trying to help someone without caving in to BS begging. If they truly needed what they said I would have helped. Since they didn't they can kiss off.

Regards,

Doug

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I roll by In my car and yell get a ****ing job while giving them the finger.

They're usually near a buisness that has "Help Wanted, Paying $15 an hour" on their marquee.

:):

pete-davidson-machine-gun-kelly.gif

Top Bottom