• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I was perusing Heraldtimesonline.com and saw an interesting link at the bottom of the page. "Area Gun Permits" Needless to say, this peaked my interest to see what info was given out. A few IM's later, I got someone's HT account info and found some interesting stuff. First off, it provides you to search by city. You then type in a street name and it tells you how many permit holders live on a given street.

Turns out I'm the only one on my street and my ex-girlfriend was the only one on her street. Big surprise living so close to campus lol :ar15: I could definitely see someone up to no good using this, but maybe i'm just paranoid. :dunno:

I also believe that it only shows licenses issued in Monroe County, even if they move out of the area :dunno: IE: You can click Indy, but it only shows like 10-15
    :patriot:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    This is intresting. I didn't know that all of that info was stored and so easily found.

Me either, that's what peaked my interest so much, seeing what was stored and publicly accessible. I assume since Monroe County stores this, other counties do too :dunno:

To me it's just a would-be robber's guide of where he's less likely to get shot :n00b:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Me either, that's what peaked my interest so much, seeing what was stored and publicly accessible. I assume since Monroe County stores this, other counties do too :dunno:

To me it's just a would-be robber's guide of where he's less likely to get shot :n00b:

So far as I've been able to find, the "Hoosier Times" database is the only one in the state. Since the State Police told me they don't give out this information, I'm guessing that either a) they lied (I doubt that one, but it's possible) or b) someone else is leaking LTC info to the paper. My guess would be the Monroe Co. Sheriff and/or B'ton PD. Most likely, they're releasing info in the applications since the citizens involved don't yet have their licenses, and therefore, they're not releasing "license info" per se. Sadly, it's unlikely that your community is Conservative enough (stop laughing) to bring enough pressure to bear to convince them to stop publishing this information. It might be enlightening to publish here and elsewhere, though, the name, home address, and any other public information you might find on the publisher, editor(s), etc. of the Herald Times, however, as an object lesson in what such published information does. This doesn't need said, but I'll say it anyway; make certain that if you do publish that information to gun BBs, it is published with the very specific statement that you wish any and all "convincing" to be done fully and completely within the law, and that no intimidation or similar act is to be considered part of this effort.

IANAL and TINLA disclaimers apply.

Good wishes and

Blessings,
    B

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    First of all Bill, saying don't laugh about my community being conservative didn't stop me :laugh:

I ask everyone contact the editors and Publishers to voice your concern for us Monroe County LTCH holders:
    Publisher
    E. Mayer Maloney Jr.
    mmaloney@heraldt.com

Online Manager
    Todd Davidson
    davidson@heraldtimesonline.com

Herald-Times Content
    Robert S. Zaltsberg, Editor
    zaltsberg@heraldt.com

Programming
    The Herald-Times Web staff
    webstaff@heraldtimesonline.com

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    About six months or a year back I went on a rant about this with the HT and was told to get stuffed. Their opinion is that people always complain, but more people like snooping into their neighbor's business so they will publish it as it is public data.

I argued about the danger it could pose to someone on a short street where crooks might be encouraged to use the database as a way to find houses worth robbing for guns. They said it was not their business.

I threatened to cancel my subscription, and they said "see yah!".

Since the database does not have addresses, but only numbers of licenses per street, they simply do not see the problem. Recently, they made a big deal over publishing the database for IU salaries. They want to pretend it is about "transparency" at IU, but really it is about the fun of typing in the names of people you know and getting giddy about knowing their personal financial information.

transparency = no shame

It is one of the markers of our time - the feeling that data is neutral and collecting it has no moral involvement. :xmad:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    First of all Bill, saying don't laugh about my community being conservative didn't stop me :laugh:

I ask everyone contact the editors and Publishers to voice your concern for us Monroe County LTCH holders:

Good job with the public, published stuff, Nate, and I'm glad I made you laugh, but note that I said "home addresses". Home and/or cell phones would be good, too. The point is showing them that providing any info at all is intrusive and unwelcome, not to mention a violation of privacy, especially when they start getting letters and phone calls at home telling them we don't approve and asking how it feels to have your information out there.

Blessings,
    B

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Bill, I like the way you think :) I have not verified these yet, but to the best of my knowledge they are correct. Only one has a phone number listed though. Maybe letters to the others, or calls to their offices? If their receptiveness to Techres is any indication though, they won't be very receptive :noway:

Publisher
    Mark W Maloney

home
    2801 E Carowinds Ct
    Bloomington, IN 47401-9716

Phone number not available

Todd Davidson

2620 E Dekist St
    Bloomington, IN 47408-4216
    (812) 336-1284

Robert Zaltsberg just has P.O. Boxes listed with business lines.

On another note, I found this on a google search for Mr. Zaltsberg:
    BOB ZALTSBERG: Barack Obama is a charismatic, thoughtful, bright leader.I think his entry into presidential politics has brightened this year's campaign.
    Bob Zaltsberg: ZoomInfo Business People Information

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Wouldn't it be cool if someone could add their "addresses" to the list?! I wonder how they would like it if they believed their homes could be robbed.

Top Bottom