• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    A couple of my nephews had some issues with obeying instructions and connecting their action/inaction to the reality of the consequences pretty much from birth (even compared to other kids). So to get them started, I started teaching them about safety and the four basic rules. I got them to the point where on demand they could not only recite the four basic rules, but explain them to me in their own words. I thought they were ready!

So, the next step, I let them hold a .308 bolt gun with the bolt removed so they could feel the weight, look through the scope, feel what it was like to mount it, etc. One of them did well. The other almost immediately pointed the rifle directly at me, complete with his finger not only on the trigger, but with it pressed.

They didn't get to shoot until they were close to high school age.

Ayoob's book on kids and guns gives the taking care of family pets as an indicator they are ready to begin shooting. If they can show they understand the importance of feeding and medical care, etc. Seems to me that would be a tough one to judge against, especially if it's a "chore." But it makes a good point.

When he's ready, I intend to start my boy (now almost 2, so it'll be a while) right on the .22 rifle. No BBs. Toys come after safety is properly learned; safety doesn't come after playing with toy guns. (just my 2c) First couple of times will be off a table and sandbags to minimize movement. I've ROd enough practical shooting newbs running with pistols I'm not worried about ensuring he keeps a long gun on a bench pointed in the right direction.

I figure we'll spend a few weeks dryfiring at the house. When he can consistently demonstrate safe handling w/o coaching, we'll head to grandpa's where I've already started stockpiling bowling pins and clay pigeons.

Between now and then I want to invest in a .22 silencer, so bulky hearing pro will be one less distraction.

He dryfired my .45 the other night.... he just had to do what daddy was doing. and I don't want to make guns seem "forbidden." So I held it while he pushed the trigger, and he clapped when the hammer fell...

-rvb

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    without reading anything except the title, im going to say 17.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::)::)::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Now that's funny!

Wait, my daugthers will be 17 some day! :draw:

As for the topic... I can't get my 6 year old interested at all. I'd do basic safety and pellet rifle gradually if she cared. Too bad they don't make a "my little pony" pellet gun; that might get it moving.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    My dad introduced me to guns as soon as I could hold one. Always under STRICT supervision, but it was never a mystery where the guns and ammo were. I accompanied him on countless hunting trips starting at a very early age, and quickly learned the difference from fictional violence on the television, and what a bullet was really capable of. I developed a very deep respect for the power and consequence's one was capable of with a firearm, and practice the same safe habits today, that I was taught when I was a kid.

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    My daughter was ready for a bb gun at 4, and at almost 6 just shot her new Crickett with me this past weekend. She insisted that i write the 4 Rules on the stock of her bb gun so she could memorize them and have them with her when she has the gun. What a cool kid!

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I've been teaching my daughter gun safety and such, since ...... before she could talk. kids retain everything. She is 3.5 and i plan on plinking with the BB gun this weekend with her under my CLOSE supervision of coarse. I dont think there ever is a "too early" to start teaching the basics which most importantly is safety. Also now days kids that belong to irresponsible parents are taking guns to school at early ages, and I know that if my daughter ever sees that, she will be trained on what to do. not just be a dumb sheep victim among many others.

mmaddox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lots of good comments already, attitude of the child is upmost. I am not much of a fan of "toy" guns, or even BB guns. Quality pellets guns are what I start with. Good instruction is paramount. It is often found that kids respond best to non-family members. Don't push kids to do something they are not ready to do. Four daughters, all shoot and carry, but do not share the same dedication to shooting. One loved shooting a Redhawk at 6, another was indifferent.

Andyland

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    I started at 8 with a .22 short single shot. Unsupervised.
    I shot rats in my grandfather's barn.
    There were dead rats everywhere.
    It was was a 100 year old barn.
    He yelled about me shooting through the sheet metal on the roof.
    You could tell he was amused.
    The barn collapsed a few years later.

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    I started my daughter at 8 under direct supervision. She enjoys it.
    +1
    Started each at about that age on 22's. Now they have more expensive shooting tastes and habits!:ar15: I can't complain I started it and love spending time with the girls!

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I got my first gun for Christmas when I was 6, a Marlin 15Y .22 single shot bolt action. Still have it 30 years later and my 4 year old will get it in a couple of years.

I hunted squirrels and pop cans with it for a year or two and got a 20 ga H&R Topper when I was eight. Didn't get a BB gun until I was ten, because dad thought BB guns were dangerous.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    It has been so long, I really can't remember, I shot my first gun at age
    10, I think I started my kids out around 5-7 years, it depends on the kid, and I always supervised, with handguns, I always had my hand around theirs, because, theirs were too small...

Top Bottom