• jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    How often should I clean the following:

1) Handgun that I carry on a weekend basis (FRI, SAT, SUN) and otherwise stands in a hand safe. It gets some range time about once a month. [1]

2) Shotgun that stays by the bedstand, never goes outside, has been fired outside twice [1]

3) AK-47 (semi-auto) that is inside a carrying case.

NOTE
    [1] - When the handgun comes back from the range it gets a cleaning
    [2] - When the shotgun came back from the outside "range" it got a cleaning.

Thanks?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Cleaning? They need fed more!:D

Handgun once a month after range visit is probably enough.

Shotty - 6 months or when fired?

AK - never? just lube some between shooting?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    lubed rag of what???
    After cleaning I lube them with Royal Purple
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...91-royal_purple_synthetic_oil_and_ar-7_a.html

and it's worked wonders.

The reason I ask is because at works the guards use revolvers and in talking to them they said that those guns have not been cleaned in over 9 months! Got me wondering about my own.

They don't get fired enough cause the AK/SG do't have a range near by where they can play. The 1911 is an AMMO HOG and with ammo prices and limited avaliable just can't right now.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    lubed rag of what???
    After cleaning I lube them with Royal Purple
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...91-royal_purple_synthetic_oil_and_ar-7_a.html

and it's worked wonders.

The reason I ask is because at works the guards use revolvers and in talking to them they said that those guns have not been cleaned in over 9 months! Got me wondering about my own.

They don't get fired enough cause the AK/SG do't have a range near by where they can play. The 1911 is an AMMO HOG and with ammo prices and limited avaliable just can't right now.
    Generally a silicone impregnated cloth weekly and then Hoppe's lube during the monthly cleaning.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    All my guns are broke down and cleaned after being shot, even if only a couple of rounds are fired. I also clean everyone that I own every three months, even if they have not been shot or even taken out of the safe. Although I rarely never go three months without shooting some of my guns, just not all of them.

dozer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    I clean my handguns after each outing. I just whipe the others down with oil every other month or so.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    You will probably expect to see a wide variety of responses. I suggest lubing before fire and cleaning after. For storage, just inspect every now and then and lube. Some will say only clean it when shes dirty.

I like to lube my firearms every six to twelve months as lubrication can dry up after too long. If I fire consistently or within a month - then I may let it go until I put them away for storage. I use rem oil as it has worked well for me over the years.

Inspect and just make sure shes lubed up and good - otherwise if she ain't ready, she won't want to fire :laugh::laugh::laugh: :thatshot:

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    Each handgun gets a complete cleaning after each range session... Or, a wipe down and inspection each month.
    The shotgun and .22 rifle don't get used much, but they are cleaned after each use. My Remington 870 gets REAL dusty under the bed, so I check it often.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Cleaning = Bonding

Every time I shoot em I clean em. It isn't work, more like a bonding moment for me. I may not clean the same day but within 48 hours they get a good clean up and lube.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    If you carry the handgun IWB or pocket, check for fuzz, hair, lint, etc. every time you remove it or place it back in the safe. I would also field strip, wipe down and lube at least once a month or after shooting. Long guns, do as prescribed above.

czar996

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    After each time I shoot, they get cleaned within a day or so. Other than that, just wipe them down with a silicone rag every few months.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    After shooting, handgun, sprayed with EZOXX and bore snake. I have a glock so just a quick once over.

Shottie, EZOXX quarterly,

AK, only after shooting if you want too, not necessary, but yes lube parts with Hopps or rem oil or CLP or EZOXX

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    They are all cleaned within a couple days of shooting.

My Beretta, being my daily carry, gets wiped down with a silicone cloth every night, oiled every week it's not shot.

The other guns are wiped down and oiled every month/month and a half or so if they aren't shot more often.

Top Bottom