• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Anyone have pics of there garden yet? I ave my starter plants up and plan to move outside in about 2-3wks.

Anyone out there familiar with 4 season gardening? This summer we are going to make a greenhouse sled and some cold frames. Lets see it if you already got ahead of me on this!

IMG_1596.jpg

IMG_1597.jpg

:welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome:

Last edited:

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So far almost everything is going according to plan, my seed trays (especially my corn seed trays) are currently doing pretty well although I did start a couple of my navy bean seed trays late, but not late enough to really concern me too much.

The only problem I am having at the moment is that my Commadore bush bean tray is not germinating (at all), so it's possible that they are simply too old, if I do not see any sprouts by this weekend I'll probably replant that tray with some more kidney beans.

But anyway yea I garden year round, I find it to be extremely relaxing and enjoyable while providing additional foodstuffs to help stretch our budget as well as helping to teach my daughter the basic fundementals of self-sufficiency.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Onion plants have been in for two weeks. Peas have been in since April 1st. Tomato seedlings are about 4" high. Life is good.

raiven

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    i wish i had pictures to share but my whole kitchen is a green house tamto plants,straberry plantsim also using topsey turvy upside plant grower i have a green house out back but its still to cold to put anything in it yet. and i also have advacote plants too.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    We have a tray going and we are waiting on seed from seed savers. The yard has been tilled into a garden the old raised garden beds have been turned into a sandbox for the kids, we are going to get some poop next week...lmao

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Well I had posted pics of my seed trays around 3 weeks ago and all where doing well.Then my wonder dog decided that they needed to be rolled on.It is almost a total loss.May be able to save one tray total....sigh.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Well I had posted pics of my seed trays around 3 weeks ago and all where doing well.Then my wonder dog decided that they needed to be rolled on.It is almost a total loss.May be able to save one tray total....sigh.

Sucks to hear...if its worth your time to drive to Greenfield (just east of Indy), I have no problem donating some starters to your cause!

-Medic

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Originally Posted by smokingman
    Well I had posted pics of my seed trays around 3 weeks ago and all where doing well.Then my wonder dog decided that they needed to be rolled on.It is almost a total loss.May be able to save one tray total....sigh..

lol, Man I feel ya, I had the tiller get away from me while tilling flower beds up, anyway it hit the grille and knocked off our starts. Wifey has put in a lot of time tending to these and thankfully she didn't get mad. She got our seed saver order today so I am sure she will be planting again this week. We might be able to save about half of it.

Todd Levesque

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Indy, North
    I was under the impression, that I would not necessarily start plants inside, weeks ago. I am planning on doing some raised beds, but was going to wait until after the threat of a frost.

Also, does anyone know if I can plant over septic fingers in the back yard. The grass sure grows like crazy from the extra water, but don't want to get sick fro ecoli or something. Any suggestions are welcome.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    :twocents: Planting over septic fingers shouldn't hurt you, I say this as sooner or later that same water enters peoples wells (if ya have one) and they drink it with no ill effect. The soil acts as a filter removing lots of bad things from water. I wouldn't drink the water out of the septic fingers without boiling it as it hasn't been filtered through the earth. :twocents:

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    While we are back on this topic, has anyone else had issues with their starts having a moldy looking stuff on them? My wife is less than encouraged at this point.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I was under the impression, that I would not necessarily start plants inside, weeks ago. I am planning on doing some raised beds, but was going to wait until after the threat of a frost.

Also, does anyone know if I can plant over septic fingers in the back yard. The grass sure grows like crazy from the extra water, but don't want to get sick fro ecoli or something. Any suggestions are welcome.

1) farmers almanac says plant now, your ok

2) I have my garden over my septic fingers, I am part of a garden forum also and have posted that many times...no biggie.

3) what CSAWS said!

Scarnucci

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    IN
    For the past few years I've been starting my peppers from seed in January, and my wife's complaining starts right about the same time. When my tomato seeds go in come February, she is crying about how bad the fluorescent lights look from the outside. When the squash and cucumbers get started in March/April, she bemoans how she hasnt been able to have a guest over since New Years. (as if we have our fingers on the pulse of the social scene.) Now Im moving seedlings outside. Come July she'll be raving about our tomatoes (as if she lifted a finger) and having me roast peppers on the grill.

I planted carrot seeds outside on April 1st, along with peas and onions. I was halfway convinced that they were a total loss and I would have to replant, but I'll be darned, the peas are about 1.5 feet tall and the carrots and onions are going strong. We had a couple of freezes right after planting, but they all came up none the less.

raiven

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    For the past few years I've been starting my peppers from seed in January, and my wife's complaining starts right about the same time. When my tomato seeds go in come February, she is crying about how bad the fluorescent lights look from the outside. When the squash and cucumbers get started in March/April, she bemoans how she hasnt been able to have a guest over since New Years. (as if we have our fingers on the pulse of the social scene.) Now Im moving seedlings outside. Come July she'll be raving about our tomatoes (as if she lifted a finger) and having me roast peppers on the grill.

I planted carrot seeds outside on April 1st, along with peas and onions. I was halfway convinced that they were a total loss and I would have to replant, but I'll be darned, the peas are about 1.5 feet tall and the carrots and onions are going strong. We had a couple of freezes right after planting, but they all came up none the less.

peas are easy to grow i grew one inside the house as a test man that sucker gept growing and i got a couple of pods of that one then it died.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Our starts are coming up fine. We have two raised beds and some tires to plant in. Our main garden area has not been quite figured out, more of a work in progress. We live on a south facing ridge top, and it's hard to site things with the way the property is set up, but we're figuring it out. The next week or two will be very busy, especially if the rain holds off!

Top Bottom