• Total voters

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    How important is antler size to you?

I am a believer that antler size of bucks is very important - we are very strict about not taking immature bucks. We do have too many does around here, and this lets us make the decision to take does for freezer meat (better meat anyways), than to take bucks for their meat and let their antlers increase in size until big enough to harvest. We don't shoot any buck that we wouldn't mount. I believe that antler size matters because hunting is a sport and the antlers, aside from the hunt itself, are the trophy. We have bucks that live in our hunting area that we are proud of due to us, as well as most hunters around here, letting them get to a mature size.

So, what says you?

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I would love to see nothing but trophy deer in the area that I hunt but when everyone else shoots at whatever moves it makes it difficult to get those trophies. My first deer was a little 6 point and I'll never shoot another one like it. The buck I killed last year was a basket 11 point and to be honest if I see another one like him he'll get shot at. For me if I think he's worthy of a $24 tag then I'm going to shoot. I wish I could pass on them but due to the amount of hunters in my area chances are they won't make it to next year. With the bucks I've seen this year if one would've given me a shot I woud've took it. All in my book were good bucks. Were they trophies? 1 was, possibly 2. 1 wasn't but is what I consider to be a good buck. He was a 7 or 8 point that did have a good spread to him.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    I voted if it's brown it's down but that was the answer that most fit me. I don't hunt for bones, I hunt to fill my freezer. I have only killed two deer both does... mainly because IF I'm gonna shoot a buck it's gonna be a big one or a buck that I see near the end of the season that needs his genetics removed from the gene pool. I have only been deer hunting about 5 years total one year when I was 16 and the rest have been since I got involved with hunting with my wife's family.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

I am a believer that antler size of bucks is very important - we are very strict about not taking immature bucks. We do have too many does around here, and this lets us make the decision to take does for freezer meat (better meat anyways), than to take bucks for their meat and let their antlers increase in size until big enough to harvest. We don't shoot any buck that we wouldn't mount. I believe that antler size matters because hunting is a sport and the antlers, aside from the hunt itself, are the trophy. We have bucks that live in our hunting area that we are proud of due to us, as well as most hunters around here, letting them get to a mature size.

So, what says you?

You can't save up wild animals like they were money earning interest.

If you have animals you CAN save up like money, or like you describe, you are not hunting any more you are killing livestock and the horns don't mean any more to me than a blue ribbon at the 4H fair.

I'm a hunter, not a farmer.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    my grandpa always said you cant eat the antlers, ive killed 2 does this year, i always try to get a doe just for the meat but ill pass on a spike or a small 4 point or somethin like that but if i see adecent buck ill shoot it, i mean it costs 24 bucks might as well use it, if i had a better place to hunt with less people i might be more picky,i know many guys around here that only go for a trophy and year after year they dont get anything, but they always pick on me for shootin does and questionable bucks but i always have meat, they picked on me for shootin a 120" 8 point last year but hey it was my first buck and i got it with a bow so oh well

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    If I take a buck its nice if its a good one but for the most part I am a meat hunter so Ill happly fill my doe tags and if a buck happens by Ill take him as well...Id much rather eat a young doe than an old buck. back in the day when I had more time to hunt I was all for hunting the biggest boy in the herd....I just dont have the time it takes to hunt big mature bucks.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I agree. The antlers do nothing but collect dust. Years go by and you wonder, why did i spend $200+ on mounting that. That could have been used towards stocking up for the zombie apocalypse.

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    I voted 'if it's brown it's down' because there was not another option called "does for the freezer and the best buck I can find to join them."

I too like the idea of letting smaller racks walk, but I only have access to public land to hunt and that strategy only works if everyone who hunts an area does the same thing. We used to where I grew up and we had lots of private land, but here I'm fortunate most of the time to even get a shot on ANYTHING with all the yahoos tromping through the woods and getting the deer upset.

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg

So, what says you?

I agree 100%

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    I love to deer hunt and love to put meat in the freezer. Any doe is usually fair game with me and I'll shoot them any chance that I get so long as I have a need for the meat. I'm fortunate to live in a county where deer are plentiful, so it usually isn't too difficult to put 3 to 5 does in the freezer a year.

However, when it comes to bucks, I am extremely selective in what I shoot. I'll admit it that I am an antler junkie. It has to be a mature buck and a certain antler size or characteristic that I am after. I have no problem NOT shooting a buck in any given year, as like I said, I'll gladly shoot my share of does. So for me, shooting a buck is not about the meat. It is totally about the antlers for me. It is not a bragging thing. It is not an ego thing. It is what I like. Some guys like fast cars, some guys like black guns, some guys like a trophy wife ... I like big antlers.:D

That being said, I have no problem whatsoever in others shooting any size of buck. I've always felt that taking a deer (ANY DEER) is a very personal choice. Shoot what makes YOU happy and then be happy about it. My only annoyance with some hunters is when they shoot a smaller buck and then get all whiny and complain that they are disappointed with the size of the rack and that they never see "big" bucks. If you are going to be disappointed, then DON'T SHOOT IT. Like I said, shoot what makes YOU happy and then be happy about it.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Anything that comes by my stand is a target. I always donate a few to the food banks then fill my freezer.

I dont want huge racks all over, that just means there will be more demand for land, and more hunting leases to the rich. It is becoming a rich mans sport.

I get made by more mature doe anyhow, I think they are more challenging.

DesertDoc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I voted that rack size was important but only because I didnt like if its brown its down. I will pass on small spikes and little basket racks everytime. However I gladly shoot does everytime. If I shoot a buck it is going to at least be a 6-8 pt.

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    I picked if its brown its down because I finally got my first buck this year. I have shot big does and small ones but if I had a chose I would shoot big bucks or big does. However usually I shot a little doe ASAP and then get picky on the second one. One deer is good for me but we will eat 2 if I have them. I probably wont shoot another little buck unless it is the last day but for personal reasons I had to prove I could get a buck this year and did. I am personally happy no matter what anyone else thinks of it.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    I love antlers.

But if its brown, has 4 legs, has a white tail, no visible spots, and in range, its going down. One of these years I wont shoot the first thing I see and might get lucky on a good sized buck, until then well ill enjoy my venison. :D

redneckpastor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    i get one deer a year and its for the meat! so what ever is the better meat or if there is not a lot passing through that year then i get what i can. We are talking about a full size animal that is going to put a lot of food on the table! dont really care about a trophy buck, i enjoy the hunt and take pictures but i cant afford to mount one.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Buck? What is this beast you speak of?

All I ever see are does and so far this year I haven't been given a clean shot.

I wouldn't mind having a rack to display and a couple of ladies in the ice box to chow on.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    For me deer hunting is fun, I hunt horns part of the time and meat part of the time. Meat later in the year when it is less of a problem to hang for 24 hours. Bringing in a large buck with a call while remaining invisible is very intense, the reward of the horns or head on the wall keep those memories alive and vivid for years. A big reason for my moving is a desire to spend the whole season hunting instead of just a few days, I will likely pass on a lot of deer but have a lot of fun. :D

Top Bottom