• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88crxsi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I think after reading all this info I might just look at the normal size 1911. Check out different holster's. I was just hoping to get something more compact so people won't be able to see it as easy.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Effective concealment is more about the holster and belt combination you use than the size of the gun.

Given that, the grip is the part that will be seen if it's seen at all. An officer's size grip is a little shorter and may help in that regard.

I'm also impressed by those who were lucky enough to get good compact guns from the start. Keep us in mind if you ever want to sell them (which is why I suggest getting a used one in the first place!).

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I think after reading all this info I might just look at the normal size 1911. Check out different holster's. I was just hoping to get something more compact so people won't be able to see it as easy.
    Geez.
    Please don't let comments scare you away from a compact.
    Like I said, lots of rounds through mine (including being passed around and used by the whole fam on a training day)...not one glitch, not one time since day one out of the box.

Substance-P

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    Good advice all the way around. As people have said, the holster and belt are perhaps the most important part of the equation. After, that I think the weight of the gun and the length of the grips are important to consider. The lightweight commander size seems to be a favorite for a lot of people and I have a holster or order for my lightweight smith and wesson commander.

If you get a good one, keep it clean, and don't limp wrist it, than a subcompact can work fine. I had no problems with my Colt defender when I had it. But you may find that the trade off between the subcompact and compact sizes are not worth it to you after you try them in a proper holster.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    For carrying, IMO the length of the grip is more of a problem than the barrel length. I have a 4" with full size grip. It is the grip that prints and the longer it is, the more prone to printing and also hitting things like it does on my car door getting in and out of the car. I have big hands so I like the longer grip and will live with it. The smaller the barrel, the more critical the spring tension is for proper operation and usually the spring has a shorter life before suggested replacement. That does not mean it will be unreliable as many have attested here, that depends on many things like the proper magazine, proper springs, proper tolerances, etc. Some pistols seem to be better than others in this regard.

It all gets down to personal preference. I thought I would be carrying my Govt size 1911 but ended up carrying an aluminum framed 4" in an IWB holster because it carries easier due to less weight.

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    Compact 1911 s

Sometimes I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry SS 3 inch bl
    I have had this pistol for about 6 yrs with not 1 incident
    It was great right out of the Box
    very reliable and it has less felt recoil than some full size 45 s
    The Kimber has no Bushing it is a bell shape bl and locks up tight