• ...and so much more!
  • Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    After many years without one.... I am finally ready to get another revolver I think and I want it to be a single action army as I have never owned the type before.

I wanted to ask people on the quality of Cimmaron made Piettas? I have a blued one lined up to purchase with fuax stag and an Artillery length barrel in 45lc. All comments appreciated on good loads to use, method of cleaning, ect. Thanks

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    After many years without one.... I am finally ready to get another revolver I think and I want it to be a single action army as I have never owned the type before.

I wanted to ask people on the quality of Cimmaron made Piettas? I have a blued one lined up to purchase with fuax stag and an Artillery length barrel in 45lc. All comments appreciated on good loads to use, method of cleaning, ect. Thanks
    If Uberti makes it. Know before they leave the factory they shoot 6rds IIRC 3-4x the pressure as a test before boxing it up for their 45 colt revolvers.
    I posted a video of a Uberti factory tour awhile back I believe for BigRed IIRC.
    If you can find the video it's good to watch.
    I cannot find it now.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    If Uberti makes it. Know before they leave the factory they shoot 6rds IIRC 3-4x the pressure as a test before boxing it up for their 45 colt revolvers.
    I posted a video of a Uberti factory tour awhile back I believe for BigRed IIRC.
    I cannot find it now.
    Uberti 45lc Firearms Tester

* adds to list of "jobs that would be fun to have for a short period of time" *

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I cannot find it now.
    That's nice to know. I am really looking forward to getting it and eventually a tooled leather holster rig.

I wanted to ask if you knew whether if a 45lc can easily accept a 45acp cyilinder to plink with slightly cheaper ammo? I saw some SAA's were offered with both cylinders to use and I didn't know if a second cylinder for a conversion could be done off hand with any SAA?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I would get into reloading if you want to shoot much 45 Colt, the difference in shooting cost in that caliber is dramatic and will pay for your investment quickly. SAA Italian repos are great revolvers to shoot and that's coming from a Colt collector.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I would get into reloading if you want to shoot much 45 Colt, the difference in shooting cost in that caliber is dramatic and will pay for your investment quickly. SAA Italian repos are great revolvers to shoot and that's coming from a Colt collector.
    Yeah I'll probably shy away from trying to get a 45acp cylinder for awhile based on my research thus far.

I am getting some ammo with it too so i'll shoot it sparingly when a box of ammo turns up for sale. Sucks 45LC is so expensive but I can't see getting my first SAA in 357 to shoot 38.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Yeah I'll probably shy away from trying to get a 45acp cylinder for awhile based on my research thus far.

I am getting some ammo with it too so i'll shoot it sparingly when a box of ammo turns up for sale. Sucks 45LC is so expensive but I can't see getting my first SAA in 357 to shoot 38.

You can get cast lead 250 grain bullets from Gardeners Cache on the internet very reasonably, and at 45 Colt loadings really not be concerned about leading. I've used 8 grains of Unique under a 250 grain cast bullet in 45 Colt for a very long time. Brass is available from Starline and lasts forever.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    YOU'VE BEEN REPORTED TO COLT COLLECTORS SOCIETY!!!

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010

How come? If you don't reload, 45LC is going to break you, if you shoot any significant quantity. Ubertis/Cimarrons are fun shooters. Get a caliber you can afford to burn up with and enjoy it. There are different layers of "snobbishness." Don't let "It's not a 45" and "It's not a Colt" spoil your enjoyment. The cost of 45LC ammo is the reason for most used guns of all brands being for sale. "It's a .357 and I shot the heck out of it and enjoyed it thoroughly but I'm agitated by the fact it's not a 45 so I'm dumping it" is probably far down the list.

I also find the .357s a slight bit easier to load and unload than other calibers. .22 chambers are harder to "hit" with the ejector rod, and on 45 the chamber is almost as big as the rear opening and alignment has to be pretty close going in and out .357 seems to be a sweet spot where alignment on both ends is optimum.

On the other hand, if you're getting a tooled leather holster rig just for historical appearance and display appeal, and aren't going to shoot much, then 45 is probably the way to go.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Just curious...why not buy an actual Colt? They still make them...
    I would imagine $1200 more might be a factor.
    I am aware Colt still makes them and I would love to own one, however with the cost of one.. I wouldn't want to use it as a plinker for the inevitable wear that will come with shooting and handling it.

Also the asking price of the Pietta is pretty good to see if I like shooting SAA's or not which I assume I will with the little exp I have with them in the past.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    On the other hand, if you're getting a tooled leather holster rig just for historical appearance and display appeal, and aren't going to shoot much, then 45 is probably the way to go.
    Yeah that's how I mainly look at it. I'm also a purist who likes guns chambered in their original calibers.

I do have a couple 1911's so that mainly related to my question for a 45acp cylinder to share ammo between the two.

If I don't shoot it often due to ammo cost I won't be to upset about it though as I have other things to plink with at the range after I shoot off a couple 45LC's.

Top Bottom