How does this make it through Smith & Wesson's quality control?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    " Glock disease " Yep, I caught that and have never regretted it. Lighter, more versatile, higher capacity, and just better for the money. I have a few wheel guns, including an older S&W 36 Chiefs Special, but for the most part I live in the modern world.

exbrit

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    Northeast Indiana
    I guess i was lucky to have purchased my Wessons, (Smith and also Dans) n the 1970s. The fit and finish of these 70s era revolvers is incredible. Even better is the fact that despite many thousands of round through mine, they still look and shoot like new. As noted by other posters, these revolvers were hand fitted and the bluing is without equal. Colt and SW had a bluing process that was darn near perfection. Every time i go to any of the LGS they know I am looking for any of the Wessons and last fall I was lucky enough to find another Dan Wesson. In great shape and got it for $375, It was a .357 Model 15-2 It only had the 6 inch barrel with it and i snapped it up. Its already had several thousand rounds through it and shoots as well as my model 19 Smith. Hoping to find another deal like that this year!

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    They send their 2nds to online retailers that give discounts.

The good guns go to LGS where they know the buyers will Coon Finger before buying.

Buy Local!!!!!!!

I hear ya, I would buy local if they would price match, but with buds LE discount and no tax it saves me $136 or 30% of the cost at the lgs. Thats a no brainer for me.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'd send that turd right to the CEO's desk.

Or at least an letter expressing your VERY STRONG disapproval. No threats of violence or cursing. But include the pictures, and make sure to let them know you're letting other potential buyers see the pictures.

My Dad wrote a letter to a auto manufacturer CEO because his vehicle kept having to go back for the same problem. Was even damaged by "bumping" along a workbench by the dealer.
    Doubt it went to the CEO. But he got a phone call to take it in, and it was fixed lickety split.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    They send their 2nds to online retailers that give discounts.

The good guns go to LGS where they know the buyers will Coon Finger before buying.

Buy Local!!!!!!!

If you are correct on that it's scary that there is such a thing as "seconds" when pertaining to firearms especially when you consider someone can be injured or killed because of a malfunction.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Or at least an letter expressing your VERY STRONG disapproval. No threats of violence or cursing. But include the pictures, and make sure to let them know you're letting other potential buyers see the pictures.

My Dad wrote a letter to a auto manufacturer CEO because his vehicle kept having to go back for the same problem. Was even damaged by "bumping" along a workbench by the dealer.
    Doubt it went to the CEO. But he got a phone call to take it in, and it was fixed lickety split.

Good idea, someone will read it im sure. We're out of town visiting family for Easter weekend but when we get home I think I'll type something up and send it off just for giggles. Maybe even Smith and Wessons facebook page, I hear more companies are very receptive to issues when they are put out there in the light on social media.

As another poster had stated above, I call BS on online sales getting seconds. I do plenty of business online and have also never had an issue.

sailinon

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    That is really unfortunate, that they've fallen that far. I'm thinking of going Glock for my next purchase, too.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Hamilton Bowen is a gunsmith that does excellent work. He recently stopped accepting Smith and Wessons for work. If you look at his website, in the news section, he says it is because of the way the barrels are installed. They are so tight that they cannot be removed with out twisting the frames or destroying the threads.

Sounds like the QA has slipped to the point that thread dimensions are off on some weapons. The barrels are just forced into place.

Don

Last edited:

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    Well seeing as I already have a Dan Wesson .357 and a 20+ year old SS 686, if I want anymore wheel guns I will have to limit my new purchases to Ruger, as I have not read or heard of any similar complaints about Ruger's revolvers, AMAOF I have heard nothing but praise for Ruger revolvers.

dman424

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    How can they let something like that leave the factory?!!!! When you spend good money on a Smith it should be cosmetically perfect.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    As a guy looking for a 642, thats pretty disturbing. I had no idea they had gone that far down hill. IF they get my money, I'll make damn sure to look it over real well. the LCR looks pretty darn good after looking at these pics. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    As a guy looking for a 642, thats pretty disturbing. I had no idea they had gone that far down hill. IF they get my money, I'll make damn sure to look it over real well. the LCR looks pretty darn good after looking at these pics. Thanks for sharing.

If the LCR would've been out when I was shopping for a 442/642, I'd likely have gone that route if I'd had the chance to shoot it beforehand.

The S&W sure seems to be smaller all the way around than the LCR - and that may matter. But my wife's aunt's LCR with the stock grip feels much better to shoot than my 642 - with any grip.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I hear ya, I would buy local if they would price match, but with buds LE discount and no tax it saves me $136 or 30% of the cost at the lgs. Thats a no brainer for me.

Yea.... It doesn't look like it's working so well right now.... I agree buy local..

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    If you are correct on that it's scary that there is such a thing as "seconds" when pertaining to firearms especially when you consider someone can be injured or killed because of a malfunction.

Don't worry, its just not true.. You will find a " second " for sale that is a finish blem with empty AR receivers and that's about it..

Sam Wheeler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Uggh! That is bad, bad, bad! What a shame. I've got several S&W semiauto's and have had 0 problems with them after many. many rounds through them. Not sure if the QC issue is related to the wheel guns only or if I just have been lucky. I bought a Ruger .357 a couple of months back really because of the price difference between that and the S&W. Been looking at some S&W .44's but maybe I should think about another Ruger.

Top Bottom