how do you tell if an sks can take ak mags?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Eastern In.
    Actually, some older Norincos were factory modified to take 30 round AK magazines (had one I bought brand new in '90 and regret selling it). And others will handle 30 round duckbill magazines.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    SKS "M" and SKS "D" models are the ones that take 30 round AK mags. One is pre-ban, one is post-ban.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    SKS "M" and SKS "D" models are the ones that take 30 round AK mags. One is pre-ban, one is post-ban.

:+1:

You will be looking at about $800+ for one if you can find it. I seen one on GunBroker the other day.

Also, click the link for the SKS boards in my sig line and you will find info on how to make ANY SKS accept AK mags. It's a risky mod to do as if it's messed up the SKS is officially a paperweight, but it is doable and has been done. You'd probably be better off finding an M or D model.

I looked into this with my SKS and just decided to go with a nice Tapco setup and became proficent in inserting mags quickly. It's not hard with practice. You can also use stripper clips with the Tapco mags, but it's harder to insert the rounds. Better off just switching mags.

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    Their pretty easy to identify by their mag well, and the fact that the mag in the mag well is a true ak mag. (come on you have to know what those look like right?) Saw one at a local shop a year ago and knew what it was right away. Be prepared to pay a bit more than a normal sks for one though.

sks-d.jpg

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    My Norinco Sporter accepts only AK mags, any and all. The floorplate of the receiver is a completely different animal from the standard SKS.

Top Bottom