How do you deal with the police when stopped while CCing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Hey guys I was wondering what do you say and do when stopped by an officer in the street (on foot) while carrying.

Do you say that you are carrying right away?
    What if the officer asks you if you have any dangerous weapons on you for his/her own safety?

I just dont feel that saying "I have a gun" would be a good idea.
    I guess there is maybe a way to say it to avoid being tased.

"I am a handgun carry licence holder and im carrying my gun right now" would sound like a better answer, I dunno.

I also carry 2 or 3 knives on me, pepper spray and other "dangerous things" in each of my pockets.I dont know if the officer will start to freak out if I start to name every item I have on me.

I have never been stopped by the police ever so especially armed I would like to know how I should act.

What do you guys say or do in this situation?

Also if you are a cop what would like me to do in that situation?

I hope it doesnt sound like silly questions.

Thanks for you help! :ingo:

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Do you also wear suspenders to keep your pants from falling down? Sorry, I just was getting a mental picture of a whole bunch of stuff in your pockets and ....oh well time to drink another one.....

I guess my real question would be why are you being stopped by police just walking down the street?

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    always let cops know up front if they stop you. It is better to let them know then to have them see it on their own and you end up face down on the ground with a service 40 aimed at you.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I don't volunteer any info to a cop, I'll answer there questions but I keep it short, most people talk to much when they interact with the police, first thing id ask is why did they contact me, if not a real reason I'll just walk away

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I am not sure there is just one answer that can be given for this question? Every situation can be different. First off I treat any officer with the same respect that I hope to receive from them. If they ask if I have a weapon on me then I am honest with them. If they do not ask I do not always tell them unless I think there is a good chance they will see it on their own, then I would rather tell them so they do not over react when spotting it. I will usually just say in a calm tone that I have a LTCH and I am armed, what do you want me to do? I am also sure to keep my hands where they can see them while stating this. Sure there are a few officers out there that can act wrong and abuse their power, but they do put their lives on the line every day and they need to do their best to keep the situation under control and ensure their own safety. I am not saying that there hasn't been issues with officers going overboard, but I think sometimes we are too quick to judge all of them in general. All they want to do is go home to their families at the end of their shift and lets face it there are alot of acts of violence towards police officers. They are just trying to stay safe out there. Bottom line if you choose to inform them or not is your own decision and as long as you have your reasons for doing so than I do not judge anyone for doing either.
    Like sj kahr k40 said, I try to say as little as possible and I still try to be respectful. Fortunatly I don't very many encounters with officers stopping me for any reason.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    If I was stopped by an officer I'd let him know I was carrying and show him my Retirement ID and Certificate of qualification.

Of course if I had just committed a crime, I'd keep my mouth shut.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    On my way down to Evansville, I got pulled over on Main Street in Petersburgh, after dark on a Friday night. In addition to my person, I had multiple shotguns and rifles in various obvious cases, along with bags & cans of ammo in the bed of my truck.

Cop said I was going a little fast, even though I thought I was right on the money. He never gave me a chance to interject anything about being armed, or hauling firearms, and never mentioned them himself. Quick run of my license, and he wished me safe & happy travels.

Either he figured anybody riding around with that much hardware, and not nervous when interacting with LEO must be above board; or he just wanted me to scoot right on out of town.

1911 mike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    3rd rock from the sun
    Real simple, give your drivers license, prof of insurance,registration,and on top of all that provide your carry permit informing the officer that your firearm is where? ie: glove box, on my hip, under the seat, and "ALWAYS" keep your hands on the steering wheel. Be polite, answer his questions, and things should go well. I have asked for the firearm to make it safe for me, and after it is over your firearm comes back too you. Not much to ask? Say 3:00am, dark street, by himself. Many times I have let "many, many" drivers off to where ever they are going with just warnings. I want too know if there are firearms in the car. If by chance I happen to see one without being told, I will draw on you and then it becomes dangerous for us both. I hope this makes good sense and helps someone?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Hey guys I was wondering what do you say and do when stopped by an officer in the street (on foot) while carrying.

Do you say that you are carrying right away?
    I usually put down my huge boom box, turn up the volume to 11 and start break dancing :rockwoot:

But that's just me.

Cops know they can trust a 50 year old white guy who busts a move in public :twocents:

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Real simple, give your drivers license, prof of insurance,registration,and on top of all that provide your carry permit informing the officer that your firearm is where? ie: glove box, on my hip, under the seat, and "ALWAYS" keep your hands on the steering wheel. Be polite, answer his questions, and things should go well. I have asked for the firearm to make it safe for me, and after it is over your firearm comes back too you. Not much to ask? Say 3:00am, dark street, by himself. Many times I have let "many, many" drivers off to where ever they are going with just warnings. I want too know if there are firearms in the car. If by chance I happen to see one without being told, I will draw on you and then it becomes dangerous for us both. I hope this makes good sense and helps someone?

How do you expect the m to hand you all that stuff if they are also keeping their hands on the wheel?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Do you also wear suspenders to keep your pants from falling down? Sorry, I just was getting a mental picture of a whole bunch of stuff in your pockets and ....oh well time to drink another one.....

I guess my real question would be why are you being stopped by police just walking down the street?

I dont have that many things, im not talking about huge combat knives in all my pockets.Just little folders or fixed blades that I use everyday.
    Nothing extreme.

I dont know why I would be stopped either, I never been stopped before but it could happen.The officer could look for a suspect who looks just like me (handsome :D) and want to check my ID or something. :dunno:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I have asked for the firearm to make it safe for me, and after it is over your firearm comes back too you. Not much to ask?

I want too know if there are firearms in the car. If by chance I happen to see one without being told, I will draw on you and then it becomes dangerous for us both.

I get from this, that you regularly disarm citizens and draw on OCers?

Yes, I wholeheartedly feel that your request is "too much to ask."

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...If by chance I happen to see one without being told, I will draw on you and then it becomes dangerous for us both.

Um... that only sounds dangerous for ME.

How are you in any danger there? (Besides the danger of negligently shooting a lawful carrier.) :dunno:

For the record, I also think you're asking for quite a bit from a person stopped on foot while walking down the street. ;)

fire259

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Brown County
    I always carry in a holster on my right hip. I also carry my wallet in my right rear pocket. So if I need to present ID from my wallet I will inform them of the weapon before reaching for it(my wallet). If he has already seen it and I start reaching in that direction he might get nervous:draw:

moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN

How do you do all that stuff while walking down the street? The OP was asking about getting stopped while on foot, not in a vehicle.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers

Why should I provide all of that information if I am on foot as the OP clearly stated? You damn well better show me proper ID as well if you are going to try to disarm me and if you "draw on me" without provocation then YOU are endangering all involved.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom