• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    It says it was in his carry on luggage. I doubt it was a mistake. Even IF he thought he could carry a weapon in his carry on, common sense would be that it would need to be unloaded and cased. He had it loaded and was going to get on a plane. Who knows what his intentions were.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I just don't see how that is any different than a knife.
    If they find a knife in your luggage that you left there accidently (they have in mine... twice).
    They give you the option of mailing it home or confiscation.
    I understand that finding a handgun is more rare, but why oh why did they ever make that a big stinkin' felony?
    Find it, confiscate it, the guy is out $350.
    Maybe I am just totally lost in the idea of freedom, i don't know.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    How anyone could do that and NOT be a moron is beyond me. Guns are kinda important... so important that "forgetting it was there" is a pretty big liability. This isnt an MP3 player or a screwdriver that if it gets misplaced and lost is no big deal. (other than having to fork out $$ for a new one)

Either he was negligent for not keeping track of where his weapon was at all times, or negligent for thinking he could sneak it past security. :twocents:

On a related note, I accidentally discovered last week that if your carry-on is packed correctly, you dont have to remove your "3-1-1 bag" (1 quart ziplock containing your alloted 3x3oz liquids). in the rush to remove my belt and shoes I forgot to "remove it and place it in the container with your other belongings for inspection." both trips it went through Xray in the carryon bag without anyone batting an eye. (They did make sure my water bottle was empty before I came through the checkpoint)

Last edited:

BFG

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Friend of mine found a long lost pocket knife in his carry-on at his destination that was missed by TSA (this was right after 9/11). He mailed it home.

Didn't know about the 3-1-1 rule change. I traveled a couple of months ago and I wondered why nobody else (but me) had the bag in the tray.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    I travel once or twice a month for work and everytime I get in line I feel like I still have my pocketknife or handgun on me. Like I was getting ready like normal and forgot to get "Airport Ready" but I never have.

I always check myself in line like 3 or 4 times so I would never get caught trying to sneak it past I would catch it first.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    The reason they just confiscate the knife is due to discretion, they are not required to just ask you to mail it home or have it confiscated. It is not unheard of to forget a knife in a bag. Say it was in your pocket at home and you put it in your carry on bag instead of your checked bag or something. And sometimes I take my suitcase camping or on roadtrips and put a knife inside one of the small pockets and then later can't find it. Only to search everywhere and it is exactly where I left it in the pocket but it wasn't there before. I think sometimes knives walk away. But a gun? You can't carry a loaded gun checked or unchecked, and how do you forget you put a gun in your bag?
    Try it next time, when they say to give them the knife, tell them to f off and see if they let you go, or if you are charged with a crime or fined.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I always check myself in line like 3 or 4 times so I would never get caught trying to sneak it past I would catch it first.

I hear ya. I CC sometimes in a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack which is awesome as an under the seat carry-on because I can stick my ipad, snacks, water and anything else to keep me busy on the flight in it. I actually had the wife inspect it as well to make sure I didnt miss anything like even a wayward bullet.

On this trip I was also a little paranoid about having that bag randomly swabbed; I took it to the range 2 days before I left.

RFox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    West side Indy
    total and complete idiot. we have all locked our keys in our car or left our wallet at the checkout or some lame brained things but a loaded weapon in your carry on...thats ridiculous.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I am inclined to believe that most of the judgment is based on the underlying assumption that he packed this bag for the flight. If he is a frequent traveler by assorted modes of transportation, this could simply be the bag he routinely carries filled with the 'usual' items that he really doesn't think about. The other thing is that we don't know how many other things he may have had on his mind other than the particulars of air travel. It also pisses me off to no end that some 'special' people get wide latitude for 'good faith effort' when they drop the ball, but the rest of us are expected to be absolutely perfect, every time, zero tolerance. I also have a serious problem with a fine that could bankrupt a person.

Maybe we should start treating those who think they are perfect (particularly those inventing draconian laws and penalties) like they are. You may recall the treatment by the governing authorities of the one individual to whom perfection is traditionally ascribed.

Top Bottom