House Weighs National Reciprocity Bill (HR822)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yeti

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    New Haven
    This might be something to follow.

House Weighs Bill To Make Gun Permits Valid Across State Lines | Fox News

Thanks for the link. Here's a link from that page.

Looks like they had a hearing on HR 822 today:

Thanks to much hard work and action taken by NRA and our members, H.R. 822 has now garnered 242 cosponsors in the U.S. House. On Tuesday, September 13, the House Judiciary Committee’s Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security will hold a hearing on the bill.

Hearing Scheduled for H.R. 822, The National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2012 « The Stonehaven Community Patrol

Sounds like its moving.

Last edited:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    all it really says is lawmakers are considering a house bill... does anyone have information if this is merely a committee thing or has it already been sponsored?

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    That article is full of mistakes and misleading, I suggest you ignore it.

Here's what you need to know - H.R.822: National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011 - U.S. Congress - OpenCongress

Thanks for the link. Here's a link from that page.

Looks like they had a hearing on HR 822 today:

Thanks to much hard work and action taken by NRA and our members, H.R. 822 has now garnered 242 cosponsors in the U.S. House. On Tuesday, September 13, the House Judiciary Committee’s Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security will hold a hearing on the bill.

Hearing Scheduled for H.R. 822, The National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2012 « The Stonehaven Community Patrol

Sounds like its moving.

TotinOne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Hancock Co.
    This COULD be a good thing as long as they stick to the initial intent of the bill. As stated in the article,
    "Supporters say the measure would not create a federal licensing system, but would require that all states recognize lawfully issued permits -- regardless of where they were issued. Gun rights advocacy groups say it's the only way to make sure that lawful gun owners' Second Amendment rights are guaranteed when they travel away from their home states."

Although, as bills are passed, they lobby to make additional changes to the terms so that they can get additional buy-in from those representatives who might be "on the fence" with their vote. I just hope they don't compromise, adding additional carry restrictions, to entice those borderline "sheep reps" to get the bill passed.
    My fingers are crossed! :patriot:

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    It gives ya hope, don't it? That's the way it should have always been, IMHO. As long as they don't manage to government it into uselessness, that is.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    No I think it is a state to state issue. It shouldn't be up to the federal government.

It's not the "federal government" per se.

It's the federal government enforcing the Constitutional requirement that all states give full faith & credit to public acts of the other states.

Would you be OK with each state not recognizing the drivers licenses of those issued by another state? How many "non-resident drivers licenses" would you need to travel around the country? Or how about a marriage license? Would you be OK with a state requiring you to get remarried in that state every time you moved? It's the same thing.

Just because it's coming from the "federal government" doesn't by default make it bad & an act by a state government by default isn't good just because it's a state act (see IL firearms laws as an example).

I would be happy if it passed.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Last time I checked it (before this most recent congress vacation) had over 200 co-sponsors, so it's got viable support and not just the whimsical thought it was several months ago. It's not the house but the senate that's the bigger challenge to get it passed through.

This is a federal issue not a state issue because honoring the permits of other states is an interstate commerce issue, which the constitution gives the power of regulation to the federal government on; it's only an attempt at a state issue in terms of intrastate issues, such as IL. Now the same document that grants the authority to regulate commerce also prohibits the Feds and the states from infringing upon the right to keep and bear arms (we all see how well that's worked); which would mean there's really no grounds to stand for permits in the first place and making permits interstate validity a federal government issue may or may not be creating more problems than it solves; we might see may issue states drop their permits altogether or other states stop issuing non-resident permits. As it is currently written I haven't been convinced enough to be for it, as it presents risks of all sorts of regulations, but universal recognition of permits until we reach true constitutional open and concealed carry across the US, may push us one step closer in that direction. I'd also be worried about amendments, where Reps such as Giffords from AZ, would favor National CC but attempt to remove "high capacity" magazines and even semi-automatic pistols, Boxer from CA would support such a bill if it removed states permits and made it may issue across the nation, and just last week a Federal District Court Judge ruled that specific cause must be shown to get a permit in NY under a may issue system, and that living in a bad neighborhood and personal responsibility are not acceptable reasons. So the can of worms this could open could be detrimental to all the progress made in the past ten years; or my LTCH could be 49 state valid and IL might come around to joining the rest of the nation at that point. Given the current state of politics which do you think is more likely?

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Given the current state of politics which do you think is more likely?

I think with the tide of gun rights sweeping the country right now it would be within reason to believe it could happen.

It really would be no different than it is with drivers licenses. Each state sets the rules for people in their states to get them but then they have to accept those from other states. You still have to follow the driving laws as passed by the state you're driving in.

Cool Hand Luke

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think with the tide of gun rights sweeping the country right now it would be within reason to believe it could happen.

It really would be no different than it is with drivers licenses. Each state sets the rules for people in their states to get them but then they have to accept those from other states. You still have to follow the driving laws as passed by the state you're driving in.

But then it would be legal for us to carry in Illinois. The politicians in Chicago will never let this happen.

Top Bottom