• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrsXtremeVel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Just made homemade horseradish from the roots we grew over the summer. I made it outside on the patio so I didn't gag from the fumes! :eek: I could use some ideas of what you guys put it on. I usually use it in cheese ball and hubby puts it on crackers. I'm trying to be creative. :)

UNCLE HARLEY

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    Kendallville
    Mix with ketchup & lime juice to make sauce for shrimp cocktail.
    Mix with real mayo & sour cream for roast beef sandwich.
    Use it plain on pork tenderloin sandwich.
    Use it plain on a fried bologna sandwich.

Darn, I hungry now. And all I'm having for supper is venison stew with baked sweet potato!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Roast beef sandwiches! add horseradish to ketchup (or tomato paste with some apple sauce for sweetness) and make your own cocktail sauce. I also like it on breakfast sausage patties, as well as brats. Mix some in the egg filling when you make deviled eggs. I put a little dill pickle relish and horseradish in mine and top it all with paprika. I am sure there are other things, but you get the picture.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Love it on all sorts of stuff. Back home (Buffalo) they have a brand of horseradish mustard called Weber's. I have family replenish my supply throughout the year :D

usaf64

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    Whip heavy whipping cream and fold as much horseradish into it as you wish and use it on roast beef. Also, I think if you didn't dig up all of the roots they will come back next year.

One time I used a food processor to grind the roots I grew in my garden. I did it inside and darn near had to stay home from work the next day. My eyes were all swelled up and red and teary. My nasal passages and throat were so irritated I had trouble breathing. Haven't grown any since.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Prime rib is what o use it on. A friend of mine used to make it so sell. He had a camper set up in the back yard and wore a gas mask.

I've got a neighbor that does something similar...

As far as horseradish, I've mostly only ever put it in the garbage. I've tried it a few times, store bought and homemade, and I would rather suck on dirty socks than try it again.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Loves me some horseradish. I'm going to have to grow some once I get some growing going. For the cocktail sauce I just use the ketchup and just enough horseradish to make most people cry. I've tried recipes with other ingredients, but they just detracted from it. Definitely a big fan of the mayonnaise sauce; think I'd just use the juice for that if I made it myself. Prime rib is naked without it. Heck, it's my favorite condiment for hot dogs and brats. I've had horseradish mustard from around here, though it may be a pale comparison to your favorite.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Save the crown from the root and place it on bare dirt in a moist loamy location. North of the old barn works for me, and it'll continue to produce more roots. Grandpa ran us all out of the house one day trying to grind it in the kitchen. It'll definitely clear your sinuses.

I like it on roast beef sandwiches, bologna sammitches, BLT sammitches. . . . . I like it on sammitches. A must for cocktail sauce. Woebers is available around here and isn't as potent as my homemade but it ain't bad. Good in deviled eggs. :yesway:

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    It adds a wonderful zing to deviled eggs. At this point I won't make them without horseradish. Also good in crab cakes and mixed with Italian dressing as a dip for chicken strips and such.

Top Bottom