• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunner52

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2011
    I called Hornady in Oct. to inquire about a modified case and an OAL gauge that I was having trouble finding in stock at the same place. She quoted me MSRP price and almost $8.00 shipping making the total just under $55.00. I told her I would shop around and if I had trouble finding it in stock I would call her back. Found it for about $40.00 to the door. Like an idiot I gave her my address thinking she wanted to have it on file for literature and promos. I got a bill a month later for the items even though they were never shipped or received, and just ignored it thinking it was a mistake. Today I got a letter with a UPS tracking number, big red letters stamped on it saying past due and the date of 10/24/11 highlighted. I tracked it and that number has not been generated. (none of us has done this before) That pissed me off. What do they think they are doing? Do they hope to intimidate me into paying for something I don't want and never ordered? If that is the case, they have achieved the opposite. I will never buy anything of there's again and will do what I can to discourage others from doing so.:xmad: Sounds like a tactic used on old people. What a pile of :poop:

Gunner52

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2011
    If it was a mistake, how do you explain the fake, ungenerated tracking number? If a tracking number had been assigned, it would say so on the UPS site even though it is not in UPS custody yet. I have done this a time or two. I reserve the right to be wrong but they better have a damn good explanation tomorrow when I call.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I gotta agree with the other posters. I can't imagine them going to all that effort to cheat somebody out of $55. They'll surely back down and appologize when you confront them with your info.

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    Accidents do happen, BUT the obviously false UPS tracking number makes it very hard to believe that this was just an honest accident. I would ask for a customer service supervisor when I call. Good luck!

xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    Yep. Gotta be a simple computer and customer service error. It is not a "fake" tracking number. I bet she had to open a ticket and enter your zip code to determine the shipping amount. The unfinished ticket did not get deleted/cancelled properly from Hornady's system. Months later the accounting software spit out a letter as it tried to reconcile non-payment for the internal tracking number of said ticket.

They will cancel it once you call them. Oh, and be calm and polite.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Tracking numbers are generated by the source. In this case, apparently Hornady generated the number but it DOES NOT go into UPS tracking until it comes into their possession. Since UPS never picked it up, it's not in their system.

Sounds like a simple phone call to Hornady will clear it up.

This. I would guess that when you went as far as you did it generated some ticket in their system but since you opted to not place the order and they forgot to delete the pending order it went to the billing department...I'm guessing that the orders aren't placed with the same people that do the billing. A simple phone call should clear it up. I would just advise to not put in print your desire to undermine a company by steering others away from it simply based on what could end up being a slight mistake. You are accusing one of the most venerable companies in the industry of fraud... Just my :twocents:

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Following along...I'd like to see what the phone call generates.

Try to convince them into sending some free zombie ammo ;)

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    ... your desire to undermine a company by steering others away from it simply based on what could end up being a slight mistake. You are accusing one of the most venerable companies in the industry of fraud... Just my :twocents:

Me too. But I know how you feel. I find myself getting all worked up about things like this too.

But I'd recommend not getting into it with whoever answers your call. They just people too and it sucks to deal with irate customers. Don't pee on someone's cornflakes tomorrow.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    mat.png

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    They cannot make you pay for anything without providing a proof of delivery. When I worked at Stant (OEM & AM auto parts) all departments (we even had them in accounting) had stacks of Fed Ex & UPS shipping forms. This is where the number probably came from. Someone may have intended to ship it but it may not have actually been shipped out. UPS should have all of the shipping documents scanned into their system & available online if it actually shipped. Hornady would have access to these scanned documents as well. They should also have a daily log showing when this was shipped out if it actually did ship out. If they cannot provide this documentation they cannot make you pay.

Next they have to prove you ordered it. The fact they do not have a credit card # on file makes this very iffy. Most companies require pre-payment unless you have established credit terms with them. This pretty well proves you didn't place an order.

Call them and speak with their Accounts Receivable or Collections Manager & explain the situation to them. Request they issue credit for the invoice and then have them email you a copy of the credit so they can't try to come after you again later on for it. Print a copy of the credit & keep it with their invoice just in case this comes up again.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    This. I would guess that when you went as far as you did it generated some ticket in their system but since you opted to not place the order and they forgot to delete the pending order it went to the billing department...I'm guessing that the orders aren't placed with the same people that do the billing. A simple phone call should clear it up. I would just advise to not put in print your desire to undermine a company by steering others away from it simply based on what could end up being a slight mistake. You are accusing one of the most venerable companies in the industry of fraud... Just my :twocents:

Generally orders are placed with order entry & or customer service, this should generate an order that goes either to production or to the order pickers depending on industry, then it should usually be sent to shipping to be shipped out. Once shipping closes the order it should generate a bill that is processed through the billing department. Then it becomes the responsibility of the accounts receivable / credit department to collect the invoice. The order probably got cancelled too far down the line to stop the billing and the person he talked to didn't follow through to make sure an invoice wasn't generated.

Top Bottom