• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Are there any fans of Horizontal Carry for having an EDC fixed blade on your person? Of course, I am. You can tell by the fact that I started a thread on the subject... Now I like my folders, even have a couple autos in the mix, and an OTF, but a fixed blade is just so simple, and so strong, it's what I prefer. Problem with a fixed blade is that Like firearms, the public can get kinda squeamish about them, so they can't really be a big honkin' bowing in a dangler if you want to walk around unnoticed...

A small to med sized one, however, in a horizontal sheath under an untucked t-shirt will go unnoticed 99% of the time. I'm talking 3-5" blade at most, and the only reason you can go that big is the dang thing is sideways... The fatter you are (I'm 275) the bigger you can go, LOL, because you got more "sideways" to work with.

What I do is use a Kydex, plastic, carbon fiber.... whatever sheath (just easier to work with) and put straps in the holes using leftover holster screws. Those plastic straps they use for molle gear can be cut down, and drilled for this. They're pretty tough too. On one of mine the holes lined up just right to use the pancake loops from an old Bravo Concealment holster. I offset my belt loop to the left (I'm right handed) and wear the knife directly at my midline with the handle in very quick easy grasp for my dominant hand. I can still reach it with my left hand also if need be in a backwards stabbing type grip. I currently have 4 knives set up in this fashion.

Benchmade Nimravus

Horazontal carry Benchmade Nimravus.JPG

Kershaw Echo.
    This long discontinued knife is one of my favorites. It sees the most carry duty. Love this little thing.

Horazontal carry Kershaw Echo.JPG

ZT 0100
    My second favorite. This also sees a lot of carry. The other holes in the back are for a dangler set up, but I rarely use it.

Horazontal carry ZT 0100.JPG

Microtech SOCOM Alpha s/e
    This is relatively new, and I've only carried it a couple times so far, but it does carry nicely. It's the one I'm currently using.

Horazontal carry Microtech SOCOM Alpha SE.JPG

Share your thoughts, experiences, and sets ups on horizontal carry...

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    I have a horizontal set up for a 5" fixed blade and while I use it on the farm, I'm not a big fan, it sticks out more when I see a shirt. It's not as easy to re-ho!ster the knife as a vertical sheath

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Are there any fans of Horizontal Carry for having an EDC fixed blade on your person? Of course, I am. You can tell by the fact that I started a thread on the subject... Now I like my folders, even have a couple autos in the mix, and an OTF, but a fixed blade is just so simple, and so strong, it's what I prefer. Problem with a fixed blade is that Like firearms, the public can get kinda squeamish about them, so they can't really be a big honkin' bowing in a dangler if you want to walk around unnoticed...

A small to med sized one, however, in a horizontal sheath under an untucked t-shirt will go unnoticed 99% of the time. I'm talking 3-5" blade at most, and the only reason you can go that big is the dang thing is sideways... The fatter you are (I'm 275) the bigger you can go, LOL, because you got more "sideways" to work with.

What I do is use a Kydex, plastic, carbon fiber.... whatever sheath (just easier to work with) and put straps in the holes using leftover holster screws. Those plastic straps they use for molle gear can be cut down, and drilled for this. They're pretty tough too. On one of mine the holes lined up just right to use the pancake loops from an old Bravo Concealment holster. I offset my belt loop to the left (I'm right handed) and wear the knife directly at my midline with the handle in very quick easy grasp for my dominant hand. I can still reach it with my left hand also if need be in a backwards stabbing type grip. I currently have 4 knives set up in this fashion.

Benchmade Nimravus

View attachment 152332

Kershaw Echo.
    This long discontinued knife is one of my favorites. It sees the most carry duty. Love this little thing.

View attachment 152333

ZT 0100
    My second favorite. This also sees a lot of carry. The other holes in the back are for a dangler set up, but I rarely use it.

View attachment 152334

Microtech SOCOM Alpha s/e
    This is relatively new, and I've only carried it a couple times so far, but it does carry nicely. It's the one I'm currently using.

View attachment 152335

Share your thoughts, experiences, and sets ups on horizontal carry...

One of my boys used this knife and he carries it horizontal on his belt in small of back now.

He bought it for his first deployment it's served him well and still sharpe and holds a good edge.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I never found a fixed blade that didn’t stick out from my shirt. I also haven’t found a use for an EDC knife that needed the strength of a fixed blade. I’m mostly opening packages and cutting things, not batoning wood or anything. My fixed blades mainly just go camping and hiking with me.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I never found a fixed blade that didn’t stick out from my shirt...
    Me too. I wanted to like horizontal carry, but found no way to keep handle close to body.

I can hide a gun on my belt better than a horizontal fixed blade.

I certainly like and carry fixed blades though. Body shape forces vertical carry in various ways.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    There are a lot of things at play, if you wish to carry a blade horizontally.
    First, yeah, if you're thick around the middle, it's going to make it harder.

If you want to open boxes, carry a small box-cutter in your pocket.
    If you want a last ditch defensive knife to carry horizontally, it's best not to choose one that's too large.

Benchmade makes this one, and it's meant to be carried this way. The knife itself is rather short (about 6" total), and the sheath is made to carry either right-hand, or left-hand draw. It carries very tight to your waist, and shouldn't show (print) at all .... it doesn't with me.

i-rtjCxF7-L.jpg

i-B6nKNV5-L.jpg

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I never found a fixed blade that didn’t stick out from my shirt. I also haven’t found a use for an EDC knife that needed the strength of a fixed blade. I’m mostly opening packages and cutting things, not batoning wood or anything. My fixed blades mainly just go camping and hiking with me.

So you don't carry a handgun either? I bet you mostly just go about your daily business, not go around shooting bad guys, and defending yourself.

The idea is not that you will NEED that much strength each, and every day. The idea is that if one day you do need it... it's there. And if you DON"T carry one... why are you even commenting in this thread?

I haven't fired a weapon at another human being since I left Iraq in 2005... Don't expect to either. At least I sure as hell hope not. Still packing one around every day. Not a rifle mind you, just a little old hand gun nobody can see... but it's there if I ever need it. If your reason for not having a fixed blade is you just don't want one... fine. If it's just because you think you don't need it every day, then you don't need a pistol either... You're far less likely to ever need that.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    There are a lot of things at play, if you wish to carry a blade horizontally.
    First, yeah, if you're thick around the middle, it's going to make it harder.
    I haven't found this to be the case except in one part... putting it away after use. Being a big guy has the benefit of allowing me to carry a larger knife when using horizontal carry. I have more "horizontal" to work with than a skinny little guy.

Sometimes us fat dudes have a problem seeing over the gut, but just like the reholster of the pistol, all it takes is a bit of practice to "find the hole" so to speak. I can flip my left hand real quick (after years of practice, I'm a disabled veteran) and hang my cane on my wrist so I have both hands free. I put my off hand finger at the tip of the blade, and guide it into the sheath. So far, I only have to do this with the Benchmade, and the Microtech, as they both have pronounced stabbing tips. The Echo, and ZT0100 are very easy to sheath one handed. Of course they are also the ones I carry the most.

Also, being a fixed blade, it's primary use is as a back up weapon, with the pocket knife seeing most of the mundane daily cutting chores, so it's not like they're coming out several times a day. Similar to the gun draw, speed is only essential in the draw. I got all the time in the world to safely put it back.

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    I am impartial to horizontal carry. The Spyderco on the right turned out to be too large. The left one is an Ek blade, handles by AG Russell, sheath by Dozier. The middle 3 are Dozier’s that I use the most especially the small Canoe. I wear them right by my belt buckle and if someone asks, I ask them why they are looking at my crotch. Jay 0B0E30BE-10D9-48E9-A90A-59CC24F22783.jpeg

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    So you don't carry a handgun either? I bet you mostly just go about your daily business, not go around shooting bad guys, and defending yourself.

The idea is not that you will NEED that much strength each, and every day. The idea is that if one day you do need it... it's there. And if you DON"T carry one... why are you even commenting in this thread?

I haven't fired a weapon at another human being since I left Iraq in 2005... Don't expect to either. At least I sure as hell hope not. Still packing one around every day. Not a rifle mind you, just a little old hand gun nobody can see... but it's there if I ever need it. If your reason for not having a fixed blade is you just don't want one... fine. If it's just because you think you don't need it every day, then you don't need a pistol either... You're far less likely to ever need that.
    You asked if there were any fans. I’ve tried it, and didn’t care for it for the stated reasons. You seem to have taken my comments as some personal attack on your knife carry choice. Carry whatever you want to carry. I took your post as a discussion, but if you were just looking for people to agree with your opinions then I read it wrong.

As far as what I MAY need, it’s all a compromise anyway. I’m sure you know the advantages of a rifle over a handgun. If you knew you’d be involved in a shootout I’m sure you’d take a rifle. Apparently you don’t think you need a rifle, so why carry a handgun? The answer is that you chose what you think works best for you. You don’t want to sling a rifle everywhere, and I don’t want a blade handle poking under my shirt. Do you.

Last edited:

bcod151

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    LA PORTE
    Armatus sheaths carry well for me. They will make a sheath for any knife which is a plus. Also like a nice leather sheath for horizontal carry but I always find myself checking to make sure the knife is still there. No worries with a kydex sheath and audible click to know its secure.

Mas86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2018
    Noblesville
    I have been trying to find a fixed blade a sheath that is horizontal but not to sure on what brands to go with. I would like to have one as a backup so i dont have to keep a extra knive in my back pocket

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have been trying to find a fixed blade a sheath that is horizontal but not to sure on what brands to go with. I would like to have one as a backup so i dont have to keep a extra knive in my back pocket

I EDC the kydex version of the Hidden Canyon Hunter, like the one the gent above posted.

I really liked the idea of the horizontal design of the sheath. A lot of the reason I went with it. Try as I may, I just could not find a way to carry it on the belt and be happy with it.

I ended up taking off the belt slide and hanging the sheath on paracord, as a neck knife.

Random_71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2021
    Fort Wayne
    Oh now is this a thread for me.
    So I love horizontal carry, small of back, or next to belt buckle for smaller guys.
    I normally carry a 5 inch Kabar Mk1 factory plastic sheath with Condor molle straps and paracord and/or a little chinese made Kabar mini becker in a horizontal sheath that I got off of ebay. I have also carried a Crkt Obake, static line is better than the included clip and a tech lock is overkill. Also an Ontario Mk3 in some cheap leather with straps.
    My next knife is likely a Condor tool with a sheath designed for horizontal.

The only downside of my choice on the big knife is the round pommel, but the coke bottle handle is just too nice. The way I have the sheath rigged it holds close and it floats steady just below the belt line so its on the squishy part not the lower back.

I will be back with pics later.

Top Bottom