• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • db308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Lawrence County
    We have a '15 Crosstour with the 3.5 that is due for a timing belt. Any recommendations on which dealer to take it to, or possibly an independent shop?
    I have called Indy Honda and Columbus Honda. Both had multiple "packages" depending on whether they also did valve check/adjust, tensioner, spark plugs, serpentine belt, etc.
    I'm guessing that most dealers will add the individual parts time to inflate the cost? example: the serpentine has to come off, so should be no additional labor to put a new belt on, vs putting the old belt back on...
    Is there concern with the dealer tech rushing the job to get it done under the time the book says that he'll get paid for when doing this work?

Eldon's Automotive in Columbus advertises as "Import", but know nothing of them.
    We're near Bedford but in Seymour, Columbus, Martinsville areas regularly, and not opposed to taking it further than that to get the work done right.
    The car was purchased from the :poop:Bloomington:poop: dealer prior to the dealer ownership change.
    I could probably do the job, but would prefer someone that does it regularly and knows what else to inspect while in there do the work.

Thanks!

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    FlexTune just south of Bloomington would be my first for an independent that would do that kind of job. I don't think its especially difficult or unique as timing belts go.

It does look like that motor has a water pump that is driven by the timing belt. The correct way is to replace the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, and timing belt idler pullys all at once. IIRC these are sold as complete kits, so you can look up the cost of the parts to get an idea. The serpentine belt is a gimmie, it comes off anyway and you might as well replace it. I skimmed through a 3.5 Honda timing belt replacement on youtube and it doesn't look like there are any crazy special Honda dealer tools involved.

Valve adjustment is an unrelated job, the valve covers don't even come off for a timing belt.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Since purchasing my '17 Sierra a few years back I've had it back to the dealer a few times for some minor issues. It reminded me WHY I do MOST ALL my own maintenance. (Something like 99.7 percent, give or take 3/10's)

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    If you're willing to bring it over to Mooresville there's a shop down the road I'd happily recommend: Home (marinosautomotive.com)

Honest and fair. Wife took her 06 civic in for a timing belt, he called several hours later to tell her the car fell on the right side of the cut off to have a timing chain. Didn't even charge her for any time so she went ahead and had them change the oil and anti freeze as a thanks for being honest. Been going there since.

troy28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    Behind the crosshairs
    Can't recommend an independent shop down south but have had 2 Honda v6 over the last 17 years. First one I sold at 296k and just turned 150k on my current one. I do the majority of my own auto maintenance.

What you want done isn't terribly difficult but it is terribly time consuming and frustrating on these v6. Not a lot of room to work in the engine bay. Even the dealer will take several hours to complete the job. I know that's how they get you with labor. They definitely earn it with this job.

IMO it's worth having the dealership do this job. I change my spark plugs right before I take it in. You can buy better plugs for less and that part of the job is fairly easy. From there I have them do the timing, water pump, tensioner, serpentine, and valve adjust. Sucks, but you'll be good for another 100k miles. If you're still nervous, tell them you want your old parts back.

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    I’m personally against using dealerships for anything other than factory recalls. I’m in a business that works directly with dealerships every single day and compared to joe blows auto and hamburger stand, they’re taking you to the cleaners on labor.

The job doesn’t get done any better by a dealership than it would by a reputable foreign auto mechanic, but the labor rate is literally 3x more per hour. Do some plugging online and find out the ‘flat rate’ time for the job and make some calls to get a quote or two on the job before scheduling the repair (that way you can know if the shop is trying to hose you too!)

I haven’t been local long enough to recommend anyone because I do all my own work short of engine/transmission overhauls...but that’s about to change soon since my VW Vanagon has sprung a leak (head gasket, yay). I’m sure someone will be along shortly with a solid shop.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Took my Wife's Dodge in for a recall and Dealer said it had a Trans Line Leaking. It was Damp around the fitting but not Leaking. They wanted $640 for the repair. Fast forward 18 months I saw a spot on the Garage floor. I called my repair guy (Former Chrysler Dodge Plymouth Dealer) and got it in a couple days later. Under $300, that's why I don't get Dealer Service.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Since purchasing my '17 Sierra a few years back I've had it back to the dealer a few times for some minor issues. It reminded me WHY I do MOST ALL my own maintenance. (Something like 99.7 percent, give or take 3/10's)
    My '07 Silverado turned 208,000 miles this morning on the way to work. It has not seen the dealer since I bought it. All repairs (not many) and maintenance done in my garage.

I appreciate good shops and great mechanics....and hope to not need to use one.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    My '07 Silverado turned 208,000 miles this morning on the way to work. It has not seen the dealer since I bought it. All repairs (not many) and maintenance done in my garage.

I appreciate good shops and great mechanics....and hope to not need to use one.
    Definitely agree, mine had a couple of minor warranty issues that in retrospect I'd have been better off doing myself and I've told them as much in spite of some warranty time left on it.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    If you decide to DIY:
    I replaced the belt and pump on my Ridgeline 3.5 in the driveway. My son's too on his 06 Ridgeline.
    It's not terribly difficult and doesn't require any special tools outside of a "holder" to keep the balancer still while you remove the crank bolt.
    Space to work wasn't a problem for me but the crosstour is going to be pretty tight.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I learned the hard way on a timing belt that parts is not the place to save money. Picked one up at the local auto parts, did all the labor, as factory recommended preventive maintenance. 8,000 miles later I am 1/2 way across Illinois headed to a funeral on a cold day. The new belt let go, big problem. I replaced it with a factory belt and it was still running 75,000 miles later when I sold the car.

db308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Thanks everyone for the input. I'll check with the two independent shops that were recommended.

I found a pretty good write up online for one of the models with more room than the Accord.
    He said that it wasn't near as bad as he thought it would be and would not hesitate to do another.
    Parts kit for either Gates or Aisin(?) are under $200 at RockAuto.
    With the limited space to work on this one I think that I'm willing to pay someone to do the work.
    Seems like most recent maintenance projects have gone sideways and taken double or more of the time expected to get the work done. Rear wheel bearings on the Ford Edge took a couple of weeks to get pulled free .... : (

I think that the one dealer mentioned valve adjust and spark plugs because they are on the maintenance schedule about the same mileage as the timing belt.
    I'll do the plugs and look up the valve adjust....

Thanks again. I appreciate the input! : )

Top Bottom