• ...and so much more!
  • briand212

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Putnam County IN
    There is a HOA where I live.. (12years)
    Some people have nailed it.. The rules can change and sometimes they change often..
    Unfortunately you can find yourself where the board is all about helping out their friends and doing what THEY and their friends want.. not the job they are supposed to do .
    Several years ago, we had an issue with our board doing whatever the hell they and their little click wanted and the homeowners could go suck it..
    It got so bad several homeowners contacted the state for help and believe it or not .. the state did help out .
    1. they audited the books ( and found all sorts of money issues)
    2. the states response.. in the state of Indiana .. all it takes is a simple majority vote of the homeowners to disband the HOA.. their suggestion.. disband it Now!
    3. From the state,, we will help you disband it.

That was enough to run the idiots on the board off, the manager to disappear and a few of the boards friends to move away, before they dug even deeper into the books

The new board had their hands full for a few years trying to right everything.. not all the damage got fixed but they definitely turned it around.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I'll admit it. Even though we're not a fan of them, we moved into a neighborhood with an HOA years ago because we thought it was the best option available to raise our kids. I have blatantly ignored the rules multiple times. It was an easy decision to make because it was obvious multiple others had done the same thing. None of us had done anything to devalue the neighborhood in any way. We just knew that if any action was taken against us, it would be easy to prove they failed to take that same action against others. Call me a rebel, I guess.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I'll admit it. Even though we're not a fan of them, we moved into a neighborhood with an HOA years ago because we thought it was the best option available to raise our kids. I have blatantly ignored the rules multiple times. It was an easy decision to make because it was obvious multiple others had done the same thing. None of us had done anything to devalue the neighborhood in any way. We just knew that if any action was taken against us, it would be easy to prove they failed to take that same action against others. Call me a rebel, I guess.

Yup, we're not even supposed to build sheds, but half of us have them, and really, how can you get by without one? Now, mine has the concrete floor and electric, but it's still just a shed, yanno?

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    There are zoning rules just in case those who don't live under a HOA are not aware. Others can still tell you what you can do to your property. I lived without an HOA in a neighborhood and the neighbor cost me a lot of money when I went to sell because of his trash that no one wanted to move next to. Now if we all had 10 acres and trees then fine maybe we wouldn't need HOA. However I am fine with my HOA for now and I will be active to make sure we know what's going on and to try and keep the area nice. Not giving up my freedoms as if I want to trash a place or leave anything outside or am just tired of the HOA rules I can move so not giving up freedoms. At least not in my opinion.

Top Bottom