• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kiddchaos

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    SHELBY COUNTY, Ind. -- A Shelby County homeowner fired a gunshot through his front door and wounded a man who was trying to force his way inside, police said.

Shelby County police said the man was banging on the door of the home in the 8000 block of Sycamore Road in the small community of Pleasant View about 3:30 a.m. Thursday.

The homeowner told police that he shouted at the man that he was at the wrong house.
    The wounded man was taken to an Indianapolis hospital. He was expected to be booked Thursday morning at the Shelby County Jail. Source: RTV6 News

Mad Brew

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Franklin
    Wonder if this will be spun to be question Indiana's castle doctrine law... seems to be a rash of knee-jerk reactions to people defending their homes (RE: Wisconsin).

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I probably would have called 911 and waited. Don't think I would have fired until he crossed the threshold. But who know, I wasn't faced with the situation.

Fedempl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    McCordsville
    The Sheriff said that he praises the homeowner for using restraint and waiting till the last possbile minute to shoot the suspect, he did not fire blindly, he waited until the suspect was coming in the house. The Sheriff also credited him for protecting his family. Come to find out the suspect admitted he was breaking into the wrong house, he got the address wrong.

Makes for great reading and even a laugh..

http://www.wthr.com/story/17282365/police-burglar-shot-by-homeowner-may-have-had-wrong-home

Definitely not the brightest crayon in the box.....

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    The Sheriff said that he praises the homeowner for using restraint and waiting till the last possbile minute to shoot the suspect, he did not fire blindly, he waited until the suspect was coming in the house. The Sheriff also credited him for protecting his family. Come to find out the suspect admitted he was breaking into the wrong house, he got the address wrong.

Makes for great reading and even a laugh..

Police: Burglar shot by homeowner may have had wrong home - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Definitely not the brightest crayon in the box.....

It's shelbyville, what do you expect? Most people there are about as sharp as a bag full of wet mice.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I probably would have called 911 and waited. Don't think I would have fired until he crossed the threshold. But who know, I wasn't faced with the situation.

That may be a valid response, but it puts you behind the reactionary curve, and it gives the BG an opportunity to get in the first "lick."

In December, 2005 ISP Trooper, Joel Wilson, shot and killed--through his front door--an intruder attempting to kick the door in. Trooper Wilson was not charged.

Police: Trooper Fatally Shot Person Breaking Into His Home - Indiana News Story - WRTV Indianapolis

fullmetaljesus

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    before you all form a lynch mob in my honor. I would like to let you know, I graduated from Morristown HS in 03. I basically grew up out there. My parents still live in Mo'town, just like my sister, and her family.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    My wife's grandmother who lived alone had a Sheriff frequently check up on her. And he told her one time "Do not wait for the intruder to come inside. Use your shotgun and shoot him through the door."

Mad Brew

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Franklin
    before you all form a lynch mob in my honor. I would like to let you know, I graduated from Morristown HS in 03. I basically grew up out there. My parents still live in Mo'town, just like my sister, and her family.

Oh noes, a Yellow Jacket! My dad graduated from MHS in '78 and I still have family that live around there. I actually used to live in Fountaintown too (about 20 years ago), in a two story apartment building on the east side near the tracks. Ah, the memories...

rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    That's exactly why I encourage friends to have a gun in the home. Call the police and it would have been all over by the time they got there and the bad guy long gone

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Shooting through the door at a target that you cannot see could be a gray area in the law. I don't know for sure what I would do in a case like that, hope to never go there, but it could turn out bad if the person you hit was not deemed to be as serious a threat than you first thought. Can't say that I blame the guy for shooting him just the same though.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Wow, that's a lot different than the radio report I heard this AM.

@ rugertoter. I don't see it as a gray area. Indiana code is reasonably specific here. Was deadly force reasonable to "prevent or terminate an attack on the person's dwelling?"

That's the only question that needs to be answered.

IC 35-41-3-2
    Use of force to protect person or property
    Sec. 2.
    (b) A person:
    (1) is justified in using reasonable force, including deadly force, against another person; and
    (2) does not have a duty to retreat;
    if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent or terminate the other person's unlawful entry of or attack on the person's dwelling, curtilage, or occupied motor vehicle.

Fedempl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    McCordsville
    Even the Sheriff commend the HO for useing restraint, also commended him for protecting his family. You do not have to wait for them to enter. Unlawful entry that includes them attempting to enter, which means I can shoot through the door to stop the unlawful entry.

fullmetaljesus

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I have a question. I have been sitting on it for some time, due to the fact that its a bit morbid (and i apologize for that)

Lets say. Some one kicks down your door gun in hand and is absolutely a threat to you and yours. You have your gun handy, you raise your gun first and fire and strike him with bullets. He is now on the ground bleeding out. Cops show up later. See it was an certainly an act of defense and cart the dead guy off. Now you have a big blood pool in your living room soaking in the carpet. Do the cops tell you of a service you can call to clean it up? or do you jump on the googles to find a brain and blood guy in the cleaning biz?

Sorry for the morbid question

Mad Anthony Wayne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    NE central Indiana
    The only thing this law abiding homeowner should have done that I didn't read he did, was plant a knife on the perp. LOL! Although the way these things have been going down lately maybe it's not a joke...If the perp was a minority your liable to have Al Sharpton and his cronies protesting outside your house; telling the story of a man of color who innocently walked to your house thinking it was his and was only forcing his way in because he had forgotten his keys :ugh:

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I have a question. I have been sitting on it for some time, due to the fact that its a bit morbid (and i apologize for that)

Lets say. Some one kicks down your door gun in hand and is absolutely a threat to you and yours. You have your gun handy, you raise your gun first and fire and strike him with bullets. He is now on the ground bleeding out. Cops show up later. See it was an certainly an act of defense and cart the dead guy off. Now you have a big blood pool in your living room soaking in the carpet. Do the cops tell you of a service you can call to clean it up? or do you jump on the googles to find a brain and blood guy in the cleaning biz?

Sorry for the morbid question

There are cleaning services that specialize in that type of cleanup.

Top Bottom