• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cook4army

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    Ok Ingo legal beagles, I purchased a home recently with nine acres of land, in the middle of farm country, and I'm gathering the materials needed to create my own home range.

Are there any any legal obligations, that I as a home owner, are required to follow in regards to notification of active shooting? Should I post signs around my property warning of the potential for shooting to occur at any time? Or am I good to go and just ensure that I have created a safe range and environment to shoot in. Is there anything I should be doing to protect myself legally?

Im most worried about the potential repercussions of someone walking onto my property from the far side and being struck by one of my rounds.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    A guy I know set something like this up recently. He had the piece of shooting property redeeded as a firing range specifically for the purposes you mentioned.

If you're out there shooting on your property the whole nine acres is considered the range. That means your house and everything else out there is subject to legal repercussions if JimBob the mushroom hunter stumbles out there while you're shooting. However, if you're only shooting on your range, then only your range is subject.

May not be compleletly necessary but it's something to consider. I've long looked at property to shoot on and I believe, if I were to shoot on property with an eye toward legal issues, there'd be a good safe backstop - manmade or natural - and I'd be sure all the bullets would stop there.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm assuming checking with your local authorities about any local ordinances, zoning, etc. might be in effect is one of the things you've done.

That other stuff you've mentioned, I've never seen anybody refer to any IC stating it's required. It might not be a bad idea but...if you shoot some kid down range, no matter what signage you have up, you're going to stand a chance of legal jeopardy of some sort.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I'm assuming checking with your local authorities about any local ordinances, zoning, etc. might be in effect is one of the things you've done.

That other stuff you've mentioned, I've never seen anybody refer to any IC stating it's required. It might not be a bad idea but...if you shoot some kid down range, no matter what signage you have up, you're going to stand a chance of legal jeopardy of some sort.

I agree. If it were me I'd definitely need some backdrop/bullet sink so my rounds aren't going past that space. I'd want to know where my bullets are stopping and not hoping someone wasn't out of sight with the chance of being hit.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    My weekend neighbors are wonderful and have been over 20 years.
    I call two farms before I shoot more than a few rounds, sometime a neighbor is having company or a party and asks can you do it later. I always abide and it goes for them as well. Good relationships with my neighbors are important to me.
    We shoot down into a valley, in that valley are mounds of dirt and steel targets.
    I don't believe we have had a escapee bullet yet. I hope we never do.
    I am also very very very selective on who shoots there.
    I learned years ago when you allow some to shoot when you are there, some believe they have permission to shoot when you're not there.
    Some will make you become a dick..

That's great on your new homestead.. Have fun

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Would IC 14-22-10 release a land owner from liability if someone (aforementioned shroom hunter, for example) trespassed onto land and was injured?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You'll have to check local (if you have a town nearby) and county ordnances.

Might want to be a good neighbor.
    Make sure no shooting at 5 am or 11 pm.
    Maybe invite the neighbors.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    All of the above. AND... I havent seen a proper range yet that wasnt surrounded with these signs every 20-50' or less around the entire perimeter.

danger-shooting-range-sign-s-7718.png

cook4army

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    Ok, great info to know. I currently have one neighbor within 1000 feet of my place, and he lives in the opposite direction of where I'll be shooting. Because my land is shaped like an "L", I was planning on having two shooting lanes. One from my back porch out to 100yards (facing east from west) and a second from within the tree line (facing south from north), both have natural earthen embankments to shoot into. I had thought about the signs only, but letting people down the street might be a good idea. I'm lucky enough that my land is surrounded by farm fields on three sides. The town in which I live in is extremely small and has a part-time deputy, so my biggest concern would have been billy-bob-don't-give-a-hoot mushroom farmer who decided that my only off day during the week is the perfect time to hunt for mushrooms while I'm shooting tester .308 rounds into a target.

I I live east of Shirley and just south of Kennard of there happens to be a fellow Ingoer in that area that would like to come over and assist me with anything I might have forgotten.

I'm also hoping to host my own "meet-n-shoot" once I get the range up and running.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Some of the answers here make my head hurt....I will not specify.

I will give this advice. Find a local (someone in your county) attorney who is familiar with real estate law and local ordinances. Pay for his time to have him give you some real advice.

You will not find the lawyers of INGO eager to give this kind of advice over the internet, not because of the money (usually), but because whan specific persons ask specific questions about real-life matters, the lawyer who answers specifically is exposed to potential liability.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Ok Ingo legal beagles, I purchased a home recently with nine acres of land, in the middle of farm country, and I'm gathering the materials needed to create my own home range.

Are there any any legal obligations, that I as a home owner, are required to follow in regards to notification of active shooting? Should I post signs around my property warning of the potential for shooting to occur at any time? Or am I good to go and just ensure that I have created a safe range and environment to shoot in. Is there anything I should be doing to protect myself legally?

Im most worried about the potential repercussions of someone walking onto my property from the far side and being struck by one of my rounds.

Check with Hancock Co., Sherrif, and you nearest local P D and make the neighbors aware .....

I lived in Greenfield, for 20 years, and now that I moved, someone is building a range .....

Good Luck, and looking forward, to the meet and shoot .....

Fence, and signs .....

BoilerMakerME

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Ok, great info to know. I currently have one neighbor within 1000 feet of my place, and he lives in the opposite direction of where I'll be shooting. Because my land is shaped like an "L", I was planning on having two shooting lanes. One from my back porch out to 100yards (facing east from west) and a second from within the tree line (facing south from north), both have natural earthen embankments to shoot into. I had thought about the signs only, but letting people down the street might be a good idea. I'm lucky enough that my land is surrounded by farm fields on three sides. The town in which I live in is extremely small and has a part-time deputy, so my biggest concern would have been billy-bob-don't-give-a-hoot mushroom farmer who decided that my only off day during the week is the perfect time to hunt for mushrooms while I'm shooting tester .308 rounds into a target.

I I live east of Shirley and just south of Kennard of there happens to be a fellow Ingoer in that area that would like to come over and assist me with anything I might have forgotten.

I'm also hoping to host my own "meet-n-shoot" once I get the range up and running.

County line goes through Shirley, so you'd be in Henry County? I don't believe you'll have any problems. I have someone within ear shot, maybe mile to mile and half that goes full auto from time to time. If they're not local, they shouldn't be near your land probably up to no good anyway, if they are local, they'll know to ask before they go wondering for shrooms.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I will give this advice. Find a local (someone in your county) attorney who is familiar with real estate law and local ordinances. Pay for his time to have him give you some real advice.

You'll want an office conference (bring a map and how it is zoned) and a letter (describing what you need to do).

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This time of year, we're all scrambling to get our continuing legal education hours in (18 in the last 2 weeks), especially our ethics hours, so we're all particularly skittish about long-distance advice right now.

If you'd have asked the question in, say, May, we may have given you some advice...underinfomed, potentially problematic advice, but advice.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    What does having a Range on your property do Insurance wise? I'm thinking it would take a special Rider on your Homeowners Policy. I had to do a lot of extra steps just to Insure an Antique Motorcycle, and that is all the Insurance Company handles.

Top Bottom