• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MommaBean18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2023
    Sunny Side of Louisville
    not surprising. You are looking for what most already have. You are swimming upstream.

I believe the 88s use the same stocks as 500s. so dont just look for 88 stocks. (somebody correct me if Im wrong)

check ebay and numrich.

If you can find this same stock on ebay from Numrich, its probably cheaper there. Mine was. (they sell their stuff both places)

CORRECTED for 20ga

I actually meant to add that to my post. From what I’ve been seeing, it looks like those parts are interchangeable on the 88 and 500’s. Also, I get that I’m kinda moving backwards and would have gotten a different model, but that was what was in stock.

MommaBean18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2023
    Sunny Side of Louisville
    So guys, I appreciate the info. But I think you’re misunderstanding…Or maybe I’m misunderstanding or didn’t explain well enough. I can find plenty of regular stocks, that’s not the issue. What I am asking is, can you get a stock to add to the existing oem pistol grip? As to make it a combo.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So guys, I appreciate the info. But I think you’re misunderstanding…Or maybe I’m misunderstanding or didn’t explain well enough. I can find plenty of regular stocks, that’s not the issue. What I am asking is, can you get a stock to add to the existing oem pistol grip? As to make it a combo.
    Probably need to rip and replace. Typically there is no add-on for a pistol grip to add a stock. If it ships from the factory with pistol grip only, it is what it is.

You either need to add a traditional hunting stock, or buy a whole new tactical stock with pistol grip that are designed to work together.

Can you post a link to what you bought to help clarify?

MommaBean18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2023
    Sunny Side of Louisville
    True.
    I remember years ago thinking it would be cool to put a pistol grip on my Mossburg 590.

When I fired it to try it out, it "killed" my hand. :lmfao:
    So I put the butt stock back on it.
    GEE, it always looks so cool on TV... :cool:
    I wasn’t considering it because I thought it was “cool”. I thought it would be better on my carpal tunnel then the way you need to hold it with a regular stock. Just saying… I’m not cool :@ya:

MommaBean18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2023
    Sunny Side of Louisville
    Probably need to rip and replace. Typically there is no add-on for a pistol grip to add a stock. If it ships from the factory with pistol grip only, it is what it is.

You either need to add a traditional hunting stock, or buy a whole new tactical stock with pistol grip that are designed to work together.

Can you post a link to what you bought to help clarify?

It just blows my mind that you can add everything the other way around but not this way.

vtnewbie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2019
    Vermont
    That combination of pistol grip and full buttstock is excellent. Have that setup on a semi-auto and several pumps; it's very controllable and much more comfortable.
    I guess I should clarify. The ones I was looking at had both, stock and pistol grip. Or thumbhole. The bird’s head are cool looking but I don’t think it would be good for functionality.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    I have relied on the Mossberg 500 (for this discussion, the same as the 88) as my HD long gun for many years. I have pretty bad arthritis in my hands, especially the thumb. I have found the the Magpul stock is a very happy compromise between a regular stock and a pistol grip. With this stock and reduced recoil LE loads of 00 buck, I have no issues with pain or control of the gun. The Magpul is not cheap, but I no longer dread training with my 12 ga.

MommaBean18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2023
    Sunny Side of Louisville
    I have relied on the Mossberg 500 (for this discussion, the same as the 88) as my HD long gun for many years. I have pretty bad arthritis in my hands, especially the thumb. I have found the the Magpul stock is a very happy compromise between a regular stock and a pistol grip. With this stock and reduced recoil LE loads of 00 buck, I have no issues with pain or control of the gun. The Magpul is not cheap, but I no longer dread training with my 12 ga.
    I actually acquired a Magpul stock on clearance from Kavanaugh’s, a local gun shop. It was only $50 and was LNIB (came off an employee’s Mossberg). It’s nice but wasn’t exactly what I wanted to add right now so kept for extra parts.

From the same store, got a Magpul STR 6 position stock on clearance for $40 and tube for $10. I ordered a nice pistol grip for $15 to add to the combination. Just ordered a light & mount yesterday. Then need a sling & shell holder and I think I’m about done.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I’ve been eying the Stevens 320 Security. What is your all’s opinion on that?
    That is one that I bought with some spare $. Mine is 20ga, short barrel(18 in), fiberglass stock, with a built inhandgrip and full length rear stock. Has sling hookups if you decide to go that way.

Yes its an import. I have only fired mine 5 times with #3 buckshot, and deer slugs.
    Yes it has recoil, but full stock with recoil pad is ok.

I've owned Mossbergs(still do-12 ga), Remington 870's, Winchesters, so kinda use to that recoil issue.

Have had it a couple years, bought new for $185. It's cleaned and lubed, 4 rounds in magazine, secured for use if needed.

I did stretch a buttstock ammo carrier on the fiberglass stock(it's shape is kinda unique), and now it works fine for 6 spare rounds of 20 ga. Found a paracord sling in camo and used some Uncle Mikes hardware. So there you go.

I had the 88 model discussed earlier above. No problems, but my brother took it out west to camp for bear protection. Sold it to him. Good luck. Go pawn shop looking. Shotguns are always there.Be price watching too.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Good choice on Magpul stock. I installed one on my 500A too. Never looked back. Same issues as you as age creeps in.Good luck!

MommaBean18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2023
    Sunny Side of Louisville
    That is one that I bought with some spare $. Mine is 20ga, short barrel(18 in), fiberglass stock, with a built inhandgrip and full length rear stock. Has sling hookups if you decide to go that way.

Yes its an import. I have only fired mine 5 times with #3 buckshot, and deer slugs.
    Yes it has recoil, but full stock with recoil pad is ok.

I've owned Mossbergs(still do-12 ga), Remington 870's, Winchesters, so kinda use to that recoil issue.

Have had it a couple years, bought new for $185. It's cleaned and lubed, 4 rounds in magazine, secured for use if needed.

I did stretch a buttstock ammo carrier on the fiberglass stock(it's shape is kinda unique), and now it works fine for 6 spare rounds of 20 ga. Found a paracord sling in camo and used some Uncle Mikes hardware. So there you go.

I had the 88 model discussed earlier above. No problems, but my brother took it out west to camp for bear protection. Sold it to him. Good luck. Go pawn shop looking. Shotguns are always there.Be price watching too.
    Yeah, ended up with an 88 20 gauge. Having a hard time finding after market things for 20 gauge though. Like a shell holder. It would have to be one that goes on the receiver or something because I don’t have a full body stock. It’s a Magpul 6 position AR stock. And really just want to stay somewhere around the $20-$30 range.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    For a shell holder look at the Velcro backed shell cards. Then mount a piece of industrial Velcro to the gun. Simply clean the metal with alcohol before attaching

MommaBean18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2023
    Sunny Side of Louisville
    For a shell holder look at the Velcro backed shell cards. Then mount a piece of industrial Velcro to the gun. Simply clean the metal with alcohol before attaching
    I was looking at those but was worried that it would leave a residue or mark up the receiver in some way if I ever decided to take it off and change it. Any suggestions there?? Thanks! :)

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I was looking at those but was worried that it would leave a residue or mark up the receiver in some way if I ever decided to take it off and change it. Any suggestions there?? Thanks!

I don’t know why it would mark up the finish. I would think a little goo gone or CLP would remove glue residue.

It’s a shotgun, a working gun. It will get dinged. Don’t sweat it.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Another vote for a Remington 870 with a short barrel, wide open choke like I.C. and a high base magnum load of #4 buckshot. At close range there is no human one or two rounds (sans body armor) that it won’t stop quickly. Ouch!

MommaBean18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2023
    Sunny Side of Louisville
    I don’t know why it would mark up the finish. I would think a little goo gone or CLP would remove glue residue.

It’s a shotgun, a working gun. It will get dinged. Don’t sweat it.
    Mine is for home defense only so don’t intend on using it much…Hopefully never(minus training). So not really a working gun. I just want to try to keep it nice looking and hopefully prevent those things. That’s why I was asking. Thanks

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Yeah, ended up with an 88 20 gauge. Having a hard time finding after market things for 20 gauge though. Like a shell holder. It would have to be one that goes on the receiver or something because I don’t have a full body stock. It’s a Magpul 6 position AR stock. And really just want to stay somewhere around the $20-$30 range.
    Good score! The 88 is solid, and dependable! you can find a sling that holds extra shells, but I wouldn't get more than 10 loops. The weight is transferred to the nylon sling and they offset your balance a little. Maybe a mount to the stock with a look at Fleabay under shotgun ammo holders?
    Good luck, and enjoy. Plenty of stopping with a 20ga! Some type of mounted light in case of an evening scenario?

Top Bottom