• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    already posted this in my thread. and he said they think it might be a good to reinstate the awb not that were. I have the quote in my thread. either way it doesn't look good.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    That means Mexicans will have to be put on the 6 month waiting list for a new AR? :D Bad taste, I know.

They face some opposition to this AWB. Realistically, however, banning mags or certain guns will only mean they will buy sporting weapons to kill Mexican police to get their ARs or Minis. Stupid knee jerk reaction, but not really if one looks behind the BS. They are using a stupid excuse to instate something harmful to constitutional rights. I dont even think the Democrats like their candidates. It's like all the beltway insiders got their jobs. Congress doesn't know what the fark they are doing, they are thrashing around in the dark and only one of them has a flashlight (and they are making plans....)

chromegrill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    already posted this in my thread. and he said they think it might be a good to reinstate the awb not that were. I have the quote in my thread. either way it doesn't look good.

The quote in your thread are not quite his words. Lou Dobbs had a video clip and he said they "had plans to do several small things with the gun ownership in the US and to reinstate the AWB was one of them".

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Seems like a better way to help would be to seal the border from illegal smuggling. I know, I know, that's just crazy talk.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    In his speech about the Mexican drug cartels that they will reinstate the AWB to help Mexico with its problems.:nono:

I wan't to make sure I am not missing something here. Holder can't just reinstate it himself can he? It does have to go thru Congress doesn't it? Would there be any chance of a filibuster?

chromegrill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    I wan't to make sure I am not missing something here. Holder can't just reinstate it himself can he? It does have to go thru Congress doesn't it? Would there be any chance of a filibuster?

Lawmakers: US must enforce assault-gun import ban

Lawmakers: US must enforce assault-gun import ban
    By E. EDUARDO CASTILLO, Associated Press Writer E. Eduardo Castillo, Associated Press Writer Wed Feb 18, 6:25 pm ET

MEXICO CITY – More than 50 U.S. lawmakers sent a letter to President Barack Obama urging him to enforce a ban on importing assault weapons, saying many such guns are later smuggled south to arm Mexico's ruthless drug cartels.

"They come to the United States from Europe and other places, and they make their way down to Mexico," Rep. Eliot Engel, a New York Democrat, told reporters in Mexico City on Wednesday.

The ban was implemented under the administrations of President George H.W. Bush and President Bill Clinton, and the U.S. government can enforce it under provisions of the 1968 Gun Control Act.

But the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, or ATF, has quietly abandoned the ban in recent years, the lawmakers said in their letter. The ATF declined to comment.

"As a result, the civilian firearms market is flooded with imported, inexpensive military-style assault weapons from primarily former Eastern bloc countries including Romania, Bulgaria and the former Yugoslavia," the letter said.

All 53 lawmakers who signed were Democrats.

The ATF estimates that 90 percent of weapons seized in Mexico come from sources within the United States. Mexico has long demanded that the U.S. do more to stop the flow of weapons south, and Obama has pledged to step up those efforts. Congress included $10 million in the economic stimulus package approved last week for the ATF's Project Gunrunner, which targets gun-trafficking networks in the U.S.

Mexico's drug violence has rapidly escalated despite President Felipe Calderon's deployment of 45,000 soldiers across the country to fight cartels. Drug gangs behead their rivals and attack police on a near daily basis, especially in cities near the U.S. border. Last year, more than 6,000 people were killed in drug violence, double the previous year's rate.

Mexican police frequently complain of being outgunned by drug gangs. In some small towns, entire police forces have quit in terror following attacks on their colleagues.

On Tuesday, federal police fighting gunmen in the northern border city of Reynosa had to call the army for help. After the fighting, which left five gunmen dead and seven police injured, authorities seized several assault rifles and even a 60 mm mortar.

In a recent report, the federal Attorney General's Office said Mexican authorities have seized the most weapons from the Gulf drug cartel and its gang of hit men, known as the "Zetas." Members of the cartel have been found with rocket launchers, grenade launchers, and weapons capable of piercing armor.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Total BS. Mexico cannot stop illegal drugs or their citizens from crossing into the US. The US cannot stop the Illegals or drugs from crossing into the US BUT wait an Assault Weapons Ban on American citizens will solve all of the problems - I don't think so :rolleyes:

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I really believe that the Mexicans are obtaining their full-auto SMGs and grenades from legal sources in the U.S., don't you? Just the other day I headed to the corner gunshop to legally pick up a carton of grenades and I was even asked for ID?

Now, let me tell you the one about the fairy princess and her wicked stepsisters......

Total BS. Mexico cannot stop illegal drugs or their citizens from crossing into the US. The US cannot stop the Illegals or drugs from crossing into the US BUT wait an Assault Weapons Ban on American citizens will solve all of the problems - I don't think so :rolleyes:

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    In his speech about the Mexican drug cartels that they will reinstate the AWB to help Mexico with its problems.:nono:

I dont understand Mr. Holders position... how exactly will this help with the Mexican drug cartels other than making U.S. Citizens easier prey for them?

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Hmmm. Don't they remember what happened the last time they banned "AW's"? Oh, but wait - - they would have to have brains in order to "remember" anything like that. :D

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Well here it is. Obama states to reinstate Assault weapons ban.

:chillout::chillout::chillout::chillout::chillout::chillout::chillout:

ABC News: Obama to Seek New Assault Weapons Ban

Obama to Seek New Assault Weapons Ban
    Attorney General Says White House Also Looking at Ban on 'Cop-Killer' Bullets
    By JASON RYAN

WASHINGTON, Feb. 25, 2009—

The Obama administration will seek to reinstate the assault weapons ban that expired in 2004 during the Bush administration, Attorney General Eric Holder said today.

"As President Obama indicated during the campaign, there are just a few gun-related changes that we would like to make, and among them would be to reinstitute the ban on the sale of assault weapons," Holder told reporters.

Holder said that putting the ban back in place would not only be a positive move by the United States, it would help cut down on the flow of guns going across the border into Mexico, which is struggling with heavy violence among drug cartels along the border.

"I think that will have a positive impact in Mexico, at a minimum." Holder said at a news conference on the arrest of more than 700 people in a drug enforcement crackdown on Mexican drug cartels operating in the U.S.

Mexican government officials have complained that the availability of sophisticated guns from the United States have emboldened drug traffickers to fight over access routes into the U.S.

A State Department travel warning issued Feb. 20, 2009, reflected government concerns about the violence.

"Some recent Mexican army and police confrontations with drug cartels have resembled small-unit combat, with cartels employing automatic weapons and grenades," the warning said. "Large firefights have taken place in many towns and cities across Mexico, but most recently in northern Mexico, including Tijuana, Chihuahua City and Ciudad Juarez."

At the news conference today, Holder described his discussions with his Mexican counterpart about the recent spike in violence.

"I met yesterday with Attorney General Medina Mora of Mexico, and we discussed the unprecedented levels of violence his country is facing because of their enforcement efforts," he said.

Holder declined to offer any time frame for the reimplementation of the assault weapons ban, however.

"It's something, as I said, that the president talked about during the campaign," he said. "There are obviously a number of things that are -- that have been taking up a substantial amount of his time, and so, I'm not sure exactly what the sequencing will be."

In a brief interview with ABC News, Wayne LaPierre, president of the National Rifle Association, said, "I think there are a lot of Democrats on Capitol Hill cringing at Eric Holder's comments right now."

During his confirmation hearing, Holder told the Senate Judiciary Committee about other gun control measures the Obama administration may consider.

"I think closing the gun show loophole, the banning of cop-killer bullets and I also think that making the assault weapons ban permanent, would be something that would be permitted under Heller," Holder said, referring to the Supreme Court ruling in Washington, D.C. v. Heller, which asserted the Second Amendment as an individual's right to own a weapon.

The Assault Weapons Ban signed into law by President Clinton in 1994 banned 19 types of semi-automatic military-style guns and ammunition clips with more than 10 rounds.

"A semi-automatic is a quintessential self-defense firearm owned by American citizens in this country," LaPierre said. "I think it is clearly covered under Heller and it's clearly, I think, protected by the Constitution."

Copyright © 2009 ABC News Internet Ventures

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Obama to Seek New Assault Weapons Ban

The Ban Expired in 2004 During the Bush Administration.

By JASON RYAN

WASHINGTON, Feb. 25, 2009—

The Obama administration will seek to reinstate the assault weapons ban that expired in 2004 during the Bush administration, Attorney General Eric Holder said today.
    "As President Obama indicated during the campaign, there are just a few gun-related changes that we would like to make, and among them would be to reinstitute the ban on the sale of assault weapons," Holder told reporters.
    Holder said that putting the ban back in place would not only be a positive move by the United States, it would help cut down on the flow of guns going across the border into Mexico, which is struggling with heavy violence among drug cartels along the border.
    "I think that will have a positive impact in Mexico, at a minimum." Holder said at a news conference on the arrest of more than 700 people in a drug enforcement crackdown on Mexican drug cartels operating in the U.S.
    Mexican government officials have complained that the availability of sophisticated guns from the United States have emboldened drug traffickers to fight over access routes into the U.S.
    A State Department travel warning issued Feb. 20, 2009, reflected government concerns about the violence.
    "Some recent Mexican army and police confrontations with drug cartels have resembled small-unit combat, with cartels employing automatic weapons and grenades," the warning said. "Large firefights have taken place in many towns and cities across Mexico, but most recently in northern Mexico, including Tijuana, Chihuahua City and Ciudad Juarez."
    At the news conference today, Holder described his discussions with his Mexican counterpart about the recent spike in violence.
    "I met yesterday with Attorney General Medina Mora of Mexico, and we discussed the unprecedented levels of violence his country is facing because of their enforcement efforts," he said.
    Holder declined to offer any time frame for the reimplementation of the assault weapons ban, however.
    "It's something, as I said, that the president talked about during the campaign," he said. "There are obviously a number of things that are -- that have been taking up a substantial amount of his time, and so, I'm not sure exactly what the sequencing will be."

In a brief interview with ABC News, Wayne LaPierre, president of the National Rifle Association, said, "I think there are a lot of Democrats on Capitol Hill cringing at Eric Holder's comments right now."
    During his confirmation hearing, Holder told the Senate Judiciary Committee about other gun control measures the Obama administration may consider.
    "I think closing the gun show loophole, the banning of cop-killer bullets and I also think that making the assault weapons ban permanent, would be something that would be permitted under Heller," Holder said, referring to the Supreme Court ruling in Washington, D.C. v. Heller, which asserted the Second Amendment as an individual's right to own a weapon.
    The Assault Weapons Ban signed into law by President Clinton in 1994 banned 19 types of semi-automatic military-style guns and ammunition clips with more than 10 rounds.
    "A semi-automatic is a quintessential self-defense firearm owned by American citizens in this country," LaPierre said. "I think it is clearly covered under Heller and it's clearly, I think, protected by the Constitution."

They can have all of my clips as long as I get to keep my magazines. :)

Top Bottom